May 3, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Corvette C7 Z51
Province
BC
So I bought a leather repair & dye kit to do my seats, there's some peeling on the perforated center insert that I KNOW is leather.
But there's cracking on the bottom seat part beside the perforated part and where your thighs rest that I'd like to repair.
I did a search to find out what GM means by "leather seating surfaces" and they say the bolsters aren't leather.. but I have no idea where the "seating surface" ends and the "bolster" begins.. any help with clarifying that would be appreciated..
IMG_2245.JPG
IMG_2245.JPGIMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2245.JPGIMG_2247.JPG

So I bought a leather repair & dye kit to do my seats, there's some peeling on the perforated center insert that I KNOW is leather.
But there's cracking on the bottom seat part beside the perforated part and where your thighs rest that I'd like to repair.
I did a search to find out what GM means by "leather seating surfaces" and they say the bolsters aren't leather.. but I have no idea where the "seating surface" ends and the "bolster" begins.. any help with clarifying that would be appreciated.. View attachment 37642View attachment 37642View attachment 37643

View attachment 37642View attachment 37643

Sorry. Can't answer your question. GM uses the word "leather" quite loosely as bonded leather (Mulan) is actually real leather... except it has been ground into almost dust and then mixed with glue and who knows what else to make it into upholstery material. If like the C7, only the 3LT actually came with "real" leather. If in doubt, I would be tempted to drop by a leather repair shop and ask them.

Yeah that’s about the typical info I found so far. I’m going to make sure to test the dye in different non-visible spots and see what it adheres to.. I think that will be a practical way to tell. Leather should absorb it..
I have the 3LT with the AQ9 “luxury” seats..

Yeah that’s about the typical info I found so far. I’m going to make sure to test the dye in different non-visible spots and see what it adheres to.. I think that will be a practical way to tell. Leather should absorb it..
I have the 3LT with the AQ9 “luxury” seats..

Always a good idea to test. I would think the bonded leather should take the dye fine though as well.

Well I got a hold of the dye manufacturer and they say their dye works on vinyl so it shouldn't matter and I should be able to get a consistent color... will start another thread on the process.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread