C5Olie

I'm New Here
Feb 21, 2018
Newmarket
VetteCoins
Car
2003 convertible
I have an 03 vert.
Doing subtle upgrades here and there , maintaining stock for most part.
Mgw short shifter was best upgrade so far .
Put zO6 ti mufflers on .. love the weight savings , dont need it to be loud.
C6 z51 sway bars front and back.
Got some z06 orm rims - gives me an extra incj of width per tire vs base c5 , finding tire sizes are limited.
Been thinking michelin pilot sport ps2.
Summer only car but do drive april to november. Spirited street driving only .
Headers next ...
Thoughts on tire selection and sizr for the orm z06 rims 17front/ 18 back.

Reactions: Corvette GT1
Good luck on the tires C5Olie. Check the Hot Deals section on CTC Continental Extreme Contact for a bunch of comments. Because they and a whole lot of other sellers advertise tires does not mean they can actually get them. It has been an exercise in frustration. You might want to rethink the wheel selection.

I use Nitto NT05's as my summer tires. I agree, tire choices are very limited for stock C5 tires.I'm sorry that I purchased a second set of wheels & tires in the C5 size's.I should have gone with 18 & 19 C6 Z06 wheels & tires.:Banghead: They would have also filled the gap in the wheel well a little better.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Ron, I have CCW SP16a 19" front and back with Michelin Pilot Super Sports so I am not stuck. I do like to run the original wheels on occasion, still like the look, the original Good Years are just too old to use. I am not going to buy another set of "fragile" tires. So many outlets say they have what we need and after 30 minutes on hold its "well sorry they are out of stock and no idea if and when they will make them again".

How do you like the Nitto NT05's.

Ron, I have CCW SP16a 19" front and back with Michelin Pilot Super Sports so I am not stuck. I do like to run the original wheels on occasion, still like the look, the original Good Years are just too old to use. I am not going to buy another set of "fragile" tires. So many outlets say they have what we need and after 30 minutes on hold its "well sorry they are out of stock and no idea if and when they will make them again".

How do you like the Nitto NT05's.

I love them especially when the road temperature is above 60 degrees F. They stick very well. What size wheel spacers do you use Murray ?

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Thanks for the replies.
I don't have run flats right now and am ok without them.
I am picky about unspring weight and so the zo6 oems seemed like a good way to get a bit more width amd keep things light compared to the oem polished thin spokes i have now.
I like the idea of factory look .. always wanted a z06 but wanted a convertible more .. slowly creating my own z06 convertible :)
My car still has original rotors and am looking at two piece with aluminum hats .. pricey but saves 4 to5 pounds per wheel and will last forever on a street car.
Love the idea of big brake kit ( which would have required bigger wheels.. but cant really justify for the street. Stock brakes are pretty darn good ( for street anyway)

Reactions: Hotrodron
Hi @C5Olie
I have an ‘03 Vert and run factory Z06 wheels....
C770FD16-B9B6-4490-AE5B-DDEB300E8036.jpeg

I am running MICHELIN Pilot Sport PS2s 265-40R17 + 295-35R18.
I loved the tires and have searched ends of the Earth for same.
265-40R17 sizes was manufacturer discountinued some years ago.
I then searched for 275-40R17 instead...
After a year of searching and many e-mails I gave up...and not easily.
I also had a talk with MICHELIN myself and a friend even owns a tire store!

I then talked to few Autocross buddies and found out about CONTINENTAL Extreme Contact tires.
Some fellows use them for Autocross and ‘spirited’ driving.
My tire buddy checked and located me some CONTINENTAL Extreme Contact Sports in the sizes I want. 275-40R17 & 295-35R18. He ordered the tires and they came in last week. I will get them mounted in a month or so. Quite a bit cheaper than MICHELINS
MICHELINS are approx $2300 and the CONTIS will be approx $1400... + mount & balance.
My tire buddy feels the ECSs are a better tire as they are a newer design than the PS2s....?

If you are looking for runflats or an all-season type tire that is a whole other ball game as far as availability!
And like Murray and others say. Just ‘cause they list the tire as available that is not always true!
Good luck.

I run BAER bigger brake kit on my car along with DYNATECH long tube headers, CORSA exhaust, etc
0347CD6D-4669-4AB0-80C8-790424366DFC.jpeg
74F665F0-BBBD-4F4B-AC0B-028F0345A11D.jpeg

Graham

Last edited:
I love them especially when the road temperature is above 60 degrees F. They stick very well. What size wheel spacers do you use Murray ?

Ron thanks for the thoughts on the Nitto's. I do not run any spacers on my wheels at all. I ordered them from John at CCW when he owned the place, Weld Wheels I believe is the current owner. The wheels were made to take a big brake kit but if I do that I cannot run the stock wheels again. If I can't find tires I guess it would not really matter.

These are the specs on the CCW wheels if you are interested:

Fronts 19" x 9.5" with an offset of + 52 and backspacing of 7.30" with a 1" lip 255/30/19 Michelin PSS

Rear 19" x 11" with an offset of + 64 and backspacing of 8.15" with a 2" lip 305/30/19 Michelin PSS

Murray

Last edited:
Murray..yes he got me the CONTINENTAL Extreme Contact Sports.
I believe you are looking for the all-season version Extreme Contact DWS06.
I asked him to check for your sizes in the DWS06... I’ll let you know if he finds anything in a secret stash somewhere.

The still find it hard to believe with the popularity of the C5 that tire manufacturers do not make sizes for these cars.

Graham

Hi @C5Olie
I have an ‘03 Vert and run factory Z06 wheels....
View attachment 25682
I am running MICHELIN Pilot Sport PS2s 265-40R17 + 295-35R18.
I loved the tires and have searched ends of the Earth for same.
265-40R17 sizes was manufacturer discountinued some years ago.
I then searched for 275-40R17 instead...
After a year of searching and many e-mails I gave up...and not easily.
I also had a talk with MICHELIN myself and a friend even owns a tire store!

I then talked to few Autocross buddies and found out about CONTINENTAL Extreme Contact tires.
Some fellows use them for Autocross and ‘spirited’ driving.
My tire buddy checked and located me some CONTINENTAL Extreme Contact Sports in the sizes I want. 275-40R17 & 295-35R18. He ordered the tires and they came in last week. I will get them mounted in a month or so. Quite a bit cheaper than MICHELINS
MICHELINS are approx $2300 and the CONTIS will be approx $1400... + mount & balance.
My tire buddy feels the ECSs are a better tire as they are a newer design than the PS2s....?

If you are looking for runflats or an all-season type tire that is a whole other ball game as far as availability!
And like Murray and others say. Just ‘cause they list the tire as available that is not always true!
Good luck.

I run BAER bigger brake kit on my car along with DYNATECH long tube headers, CORSA exhaust, etc
View attachment 25683View attachment 25684
Graham

Your car looks great, that paint really pops, & I really like what you did to your Z06 wheels, they are truly one of a kind.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread