Vetteman

Casual User
Aug 25, 2015
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 50th anniversar
I'm replacing the tires on my C5 this spring and looking for recommendations. No run flats please. Also car is unlikely to be on a track but it's not impossible.

@Vetteman I bought Continentals from Canadian Tire that are "almost" the correct size, the fronts were a little smaller than stock Z06. We have few options available these days it seems.

@nascar03 bought Continentals for his C5 but in a different version than the ones I got, a sportier tire I believe, he is a much faster driver than I am. :Biggrin:

Hopefully others will have some suggestions. Good luck with your search, lets us know what you find. :thumbs:

• Haha
Reactions: nascar03
I'm replacing the tires on my C5 this spring and looking for recommendations. No run flats please. Also car is unlikely to be on a track but it's not impossible.
Back when I had my C5 I also decided to put non-run flats on there...mainly because 10 years ago they were double the price of non-run flats. I figured that if I ever did get a flat (never happened) I would be never out of CAA range to get me to a garage to get it fixed. The main thing I would suggest is getting all seasons...the added traction in the rain was tremendous. My current C7 has the factory summer run flats...and they can slide in wet weather. I will definitely be replacing them with all seasons when they wear out. I don't track my cars at all...but for 9 non-winter months they're my daily drivers.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
You can get Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's (non run flats) at CT in stock sizes. I have the 3+ZP (runflats) on mine.
And don't forget to swap your offers...might be able to get a boat load of CT $$$ on a set of tires.

I went with Continental Extreme Contact Sports on my 2003 fake Z06 Convertible.
275-40-17(f). & 295-35-18(r).
I used Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+ on my 2003 Monte Carlo SS.
245-40-18
The SPORTS are Sporty, and the DWS06+ are sporty with a bit more wet traction ability.

I had MICHELINs on the C5 before and loved them.
But they are $2400/set vs $1400/set for the CONTIs.

graham

I went with Continental Extreme Contact Sports on my 2003 fake Z06 Convertible.
275-40-17(f). & 295-35-18(r).
I used Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+ on my 2003 Monte Carlo SS.
245-40-18
The SPORTS are Sporty, and the DWS06+ are sporty with a bit more wet traction ability.

I had MICHELINs on the C5 before and loved them.
But they are $2400/set vs $1400/set for the CONTIs.

graham
I like my DWS06's. That's my vote.

In June 2022 I replaced the old Goodyear Eagle F1's on my 03 Anniv. Vert with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's (non RF) that matched the stock sizing (via Can Tire) .. about 2000km on them now ... a total world of difference in smoothness and quiet riding ... you won't regret buying same

In June 2022 I replaced the old Goodyear Eagle F1's on my 03 Anniv. Vert with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's (non RF) that matched the stock sizing (via Can Tire) .. about 2000km on them now ... a total world of difference in smoothness and quiet riding ... you won't regret buying same
That's interesting. We have the same car and I'm using the Eagle F1's also. Noisy and rough riding. Consensus of opinion seems to be the Continental extreme contact DWS06's. Can't find them on the continental website. Probably to early in the season.

That's interesting. We have the same car and I'm using the Eagle F1's also. Noisy and rough riding. Consensus of opinion seems to be the Continental extreme contact DWS06's. Can't find them on the continental website. Probably to early in the season.
CT might have some stock at the warehouse in Ontario. I had to wait about 10 days for them to get shipped to my local CT store.

• Agree
Continentals dws06 on my c5 and they are good tires but in really rutted roads with wet conditions can still feel it start hydroplaning anyone have a better tire for wet conditions? This is my first rwd car is this unavoidable?

Continentals dws06 on my c5 and they are good tires but in really rutted roads with wet conditions can still feel it start hydroplaning anyone have a better tire for wet conditions? This is my first rwd car is this unavoidable?
I have the Michelin AS3+ on my C5 and when in the ruts the car is wabbling side to side like its getting ready to leap out. I'm thinling that's because the tires are almost as wide as the rut and cant settle in the groove. I try and stay out of the ruts but when I get in them, I pull the car out as soon as I can. As for the rain...no comment, my Vette is never out in in it, even though I know it won't melt...LOL

I have the Michelin AS3+ on my C5 and when in the ruts the car is wabbling side to side like its getting ready to leap out. I'm thinling that's because the tires are almost as wide as the rut and cant settle in the groove. I try and stay out of the ruts but when I get in them, I pull the car out as soon as I can. As for the rain...no comment, my Vette is never out in in it, even though I know it won't melt...LOL
I live in northern BC between the snow and the rain I'd never take my vette out before july if I waited for a perfect day. Agree on avoiding the ruts just think the wider the tire the easier it is to feel unstable in ruts and wet conditions

The wider the tire the wider the contact patch and the more hydroplaning you'll get. Also a wider grove in the direction of tire spin will help funnel the water back. The size of the sipes also makes a difference. Performance tires tend to have larger blocks and smaller snipes. Tire sizes also vary largely among manufacturers. The same size tire can be as much as 1 inch thinner on wider tire sizes. If you plan on replacing the tires you might want to opt for something thinner so the contact patch becomes narrower, but longer as opposed to wider and shorter with a wide profile tire.
Have you had the steering checked for end play? Hydroplaning is one thing, but squirm is another.

When your driving along, and it's safe to do so, let go of the steering wheel...if it stays straight your ok, if it pulls to the right or left, an alignment should be in your future
oh ya it's ok stays straight. the gentleman I bought the car off had it aligned last year with the new tires, brakes, and coolant. Pretty happy with the car all around

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.