Jun 27, 2017
Portage la Prairie, MB
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Coupe
Province
MB
I have the electric telescoping steering column in my 50AE. When I first got it last summer, for a while it seemed to work right. Put the key in the ignition, column extends. Shut the car off, pull the key out, the column retracts. I have read to book. I think it says that the extending is done with the seat memory. So I set the seat memory with column extended.The retracting is done with the easy exit option chosen. Well sometimes this all works and sometimes it doesn't. It still works with the button on the column but it seems more personal when the car does it for me. Does anyone else have this issue?

I have the electric telescoping steering column in my 50AE. When I first got it last summer, for a while it seemed to work right. Put the key in the ignition, column extends. Shut the car off, pull the key out, the column retracts. I have read to book. I think it says that the extending is done with the seat memory. So I set the seat memory with column extended.The retracting is done with the easy exit option chosen. Well sometimes this all works and sometimes it doesn't. It still works with the button on the column but it seems more personal when the car does it for me. Does anyone else have this issue?

My C5 steering column works 80% of the time along with the memory seat/easy exit option. The other 20% it does whatever it wants. Given it’s almost 20 years old I’m going along with it.

Seats do that in mine, sometimes they work sometimes not. I do not have a telescoping wheel so I cannot offer any suggestions. Frustrating but as Ron says it is almost a 20 year old car and things wear out. Not sure my seats have ever worked properly.

My ‘03 is intermittent as well..
I find whenever I shut the car off the seat moves back and the column forward for easy-exit.... but the intermittent part happens when I put the key in the next time...
It does not always work.. I then touch the appropriate memory button on the door control pad and things move to the proper position.
Weird....

Graham

Last edited:
Mine started doing the same thing about a year ago, I did some research and it could be the grounds in the engine bay or the wire harness connection that goes to the door. I cleaned the 3 grounds in the engine bay, still happening. When I find time I will try door connections.

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
I find it odd, at least with my car, that there is no pattern to the seat moving or not. Never been able to see what if anything is done differently. The only thing I can say is that if the seat does move back it always comes forward on it own again, eventually! I guess the car has a mind of its own.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I learned that my car is normal. Must be a ground thing alright. Never thought about a seat issue, and that would probably show up too, except my seat is all the way back all the time. Never has to go anywhere. When I pulled it out of the garage to wash it last night I did what Graham mentioned and pushed the seat memory button and the column extended, and when I shut it off and pulled the key it retracted. If I always do that when it fails to extend, at least the easy exit part will work.

Bic

Last edited:
Reactions: nascar03
When I first started have issues I posted the question somewhere else, (before I found the CCF ). this is one of the responses.

The connector plug between the door and the door frame can get corroded and cause the problem. It's a bit tough to get to it, there's a rubber boot that has to be pulled back or off to get to it. If you can, pull the connector apart and clean it, and make sure the pins and mating holes are in good shape. I cleaned mine and the problem went away for the most part. It happens rarely now.

I feel like the intermittent issue with memory seat and telescopic steering wheel may also be related to intermittent resetting of the time on the digital clock. Anyone else seeing that same issue as well?

Never had a problem with the clock, without fail twice a day it is bang on. Seriously I have not had any issues with the clock but suspect you might be right they could be connected with maybe a common ground?

Do you have issues with your seat(s) and telescoping column as well?

• Haha
Reactions: Bixter44
When I first started have issues I posted the question somewhere else, (before I found the CCF ). this is one of the responses.

The connector plug between the door and the door frame can get corroded and cause the problem. It's a bit tough to get to it, there's a rubber boot that has to be pulled back or off to get to it. If you can, pull the connector apart and clean it, and make sure the pins and mating holes are in good shape. I cleaned mine and the problem went away for the most part. It happens rarely now.
Now I have a project. Thanks Jim.

Never had a problem with the clock, without fail twice a day it is bang on. Seriously I have not had any issues with the clock but suspect you might be right they could be connected with maybe a common ground?

Do you have issues with your seat(s) and telescoping column as well?
Oh yeah, same problem with seats and telescopic column as described above. (+ clock)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.