SBVette2000

I'm New Here
2 You're 5
Aug 9, 2016
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2000 C51 Corvette Co
My 2000 C51 Convertible 6spd has this strange noise when up or downshifting. Started with only downshifting but now also up shifting at any rpm. It sounds almost like metal guitar strings letting go! Any suggestions as we all know tranny work is scary and $$ Thx!

Hmmm Not too familiar with that noise. How long have you had the car? When's the last time the clutch fluid has been changed? I try to change mine every year through the DIY method. Has the transmission every had it's fluid changed?

My 2000 C51 Convertible 6spd has this strange noise when up or downshifting. Started with only downshifting but now also up shifting at any rpm. It sounds almost like metal guitar strings letting go! Any suggestions as we all know tranny work is scary and $$ Thx!

Is this happening in any gear? Any notchiness in shifts? Does it chirp when in gear and you put your foot down?

Is this an automatic car? It sounds like your bands are failing. Does it slip when you go full throttle? As Riley suggested, make sure your fluid is full and check the color of the fluid. If it is dark, it could be dirty or burnt and won't work properly. It does seem like you need to get it in for service to have it looked at.

Edit: Sorry, I read it again and see its a 6-speed. My bad. I'll leave the info here for anyone who might experience this problem with an automatic.

Is the sound coming from the clutch or the transmission? Sitting in neutral with the engine off, does it make the sound when you push the clutch in or let it out? Does it make the sound when you move between gears? Does it only make the sound when the car is driving? Can you feel it in the shifter or in the clutch pedal? Does it slip when you go full throttle?

Jeremiad interesting questions. I also wonder if there is a spring within the shifting mechanism that could make a metallic "guitar string" like noise. The clutch is hydraulic so that is unlikely to make such a sound. Is there is a spring in the shifter box?

Have only had the car a year and all fluids changed except for the clutch. Can't feel any vibration from the stick or pedal and happening in most gears now. A short drive yesterday and it didn't happen at all. Sound seems to be coming from the stick area and not the rear end.

Driving mine yesterday I kept thinking about this problem SB is having. Is it possible that the clutch throwout bearing is causing this problem? Especially in light of the fact the clutch hydraulic fluid has never been changed. When the car is not running and you depress the clutch to you hear any noise? If the car is idling and you push in the clutch do you hear the noise? What about changing gears at very low speeds?

I would be inclined to change the clutch fluid as it can become contaminated and cause issues.

Please let us know what you find.

Hopefully you will get this sorted out.

Changed the clutch fluid and took it for a long drive and haven't heard it yet. Keeping my fingers crossed but still not too sure yet. It's just too easy, things are never that easy for me! I'll keep you guys informed and just want to thank all of you guys for all your suggestions, you guys are the best!!

Users who are viewing this thread