Apr 14, 2021
Kawartha Lakes, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Convertible A/E
Province
ON
While out cruising in my new to me C5 Anniv. Edition Convert. today, the check engine light popped up in a 'fixed on' position .... at the same time I noticed that the speedo was only hitting 50km max regardless of speed .... is it possible that these things happened at the same time as a coincidence, or is it possible that there is a sensor somewhere within the engine works that ties these two items together ? .... tach operates ok ... engine runs fine otherwise ... car only has 58k ..... my first issue since purchasing 1 yr. ago .............. looking to the experts for ideas ? ......... Thanks

While out cruising in my new to me C5 Anniv. Edition Convert. today, the check engine light popped up in a 'fixed on' position .... at the same time I noticed that the speedo was only hitting 50km max regardless of speed .... is it possible that these things happened at the same time as a coincidence, or is it possible that there is a sensor somewhere within the engine works that ties these two items together ? .... tach operates ok ... engine runs fine otherwise ... car only has 58k ..... my first issue since purchasing 1 yr. ago .............. looking to the experts for ideas ? ......... Thanks

Check your codes in the DIC. That will give you a starting point. Once you know what codes its throwing, you can google what they mean and figure out whats happening. There's a thread on here somewhere that you can look at to find out how to check your codes through the DIC...very easy to do actually.

Good Luck

Edit: If you can't figure out how, send me a DM I will give you my number and I can walk you through it.

Last edited:
my light is on and my GM engineer friend found that it is an emission system vent valve problem /SELENOID CIRCUIT. Do you or anyone else know how to fix this or what should be the cost to do so at a dealer.
Archman hasn't came back to give us an update on the issue with his car. Maybe you could send him a message and see if he responds.
What was the code you were getting? I had a emissions code last year and I had to replace the check valve on the right side behind the intake. It was a bit of a chore but i managed to get it.
Let us know and we can try and get to the bottom of it for you.

Reactions: unionville
No expert here. Just a suggestion. Replace gas cap. 😳🤓

No expert here. Just a suggestion. Replace gas cap. 😳🤓
Yes, that was the first thing I did, the old cap, was actually, spinning, but the new cap did not solve the problem. While testing and it said, emission problem, we did clear it, but the light came back on in 20 K. So will continue with the research. Likely will have to go to my dealer, but don't want to get into a lot of money.
Still wondering what the cost will be. Thanks for your reply and good luck on your problem.

Guys as alway thanks for sharing your knowledge. I tried to move @unionville post and start a new one in the C6 section, we are talking two different generations of Corvettes here which might cause some issues. Had no luck moving the message to start a new thread in the C6 section and did not want to screw the whole thread up.

Unionville maybe start a new thread in the C6 section. Hope you get your issue sorted, frustrating.

Again thanks guys for your input. :thumbs:

Sorry guys for not posting an update re the issue I had ...... for some unknown reason the speedo was working the day I drove it to the dealer to have issues checked out and has been functioning ok since ... they could find a reason for that .... in respect to the check engine light .... only codes on that were in respect to R & L bank fuel trim showing lean .... scope and road testing determined it was the MAF sensor and valve itself that was dirty ... told that readings on it should be in the -4/-6 range but mine was at -14 ..... a re/re (cleaning of it) brought the numbers back into the normal range .... they also said the air cleaner assembly was partially open at one end (not clipped down tight) all which contributed to the dirty MAF ....... a $400 fix re shop and tech time .......... all is well now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread