Big D, the headlights will indeed pop up every time you turn the ignition on and there is limited light. These cars are notorious for having issues with the mechanics of the gear system to open and close the lights. This can be programmed out of the system, the headlights return to a "manual" system but with a lot less wear and tear on the bits and pieces.

One of our ex sponsors DaSilva Motorsport programmed it out for me, there must be someone in your area who could do it for you.

Reactions: Big d
I took my Canadian spec C5 to a dealer in the US several years ago and asked to have the automatic headlights turned off and they couldn't do it. Said Canadian cars have the feature locked in. If you have a US import you should be able to change the setting on the DIC.

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I just got my first vett, an 02 convertible. I had it trailed home as we got snow so I have not driven it just running it in my shop. Do the headlight always pop up? Every time I have started it they open and come on. I'm just curious
Try a trick I learned searching this forum a few years ago. I wanted to save my headlight motors when I pull in and out of the garage. Looks like it works on '00 and up C5's. Just pull relay #44 in the fuse box located under the carpet in the passenger footwell. It's labelled ALC/HDLP. This will disable the Twilight Sentinel. After that you control your headlights like I did in the first 25 years of driving. Turn them on yourself. Seems Canadian C5's don't get the option on the DIC to select Twilight Sentinel on or off like our friends south of the 49th. The suits in Ottawa must think we aren't capable of turning on our own headlights at the right time. This trick works for me. Everything else works fine. Just that now I am in charge of turning my headlights on when it gets dark. My garage stall has no windows so the headlight motors were doing a lot of unnecessary work.

I took my Canadian spec C5 to a dealer in the US several years ago and asked to have the automatic headlights turned off and they couldn't do it. Said Canadian cars have the feature locked in. If you have a US import you should be able to change the setting on the DIC.

Somebody must know more that the dealers. Manny figured out how to unlock mine, it is not the fuse but if that works then there you go.

Its called the twilight feature. Simply turn it off using the DIC. As easy as taking candy from a baby. Seriously can be done in under 30 seconds. I just timed it and answered this post

My 2003 is also a US model (200 kmph speedo and oil pressure in psi) and the headlights are not an issue (only come up when I manually turn them on). This seems to be only an issue on the Canadian models.

2003 C5. However, I must state my car is US spec. I am starting to realize this might not be the case for Canadian spec Vettes. Sorry for any inconveniences.

Last edited:
My 2003 is also a US model (200 kmph speedo and oil pressure in psi) and the headlights are not an issue (only come up when I manually turn them on). This seems to be only an issue on the Canadian models.
So yours does have the Twlight option in the DIC? I keep my option off and manually activate the lights

I don't recall even seeing that option but it is likely turned off. The car is put away for the winter so can't easily check. There is also this old thread that mentions removing the fuse as a fix.

So yours does have the Twlight option in the DIC? I keep my option off and manually activate the lights

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.