Bobbo76

Casual User
Jan 17, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2002 Corvette Z06
Province
NS
Hi! Looking for suggestions for this. This the first time I’ve done this to a Vette.
The engine is already out and I’m thinking it’ll be easier to unbolt both subframes, sit them on dollies/jack stands, reassemble everything and drop the body back on. I do have a lift.
Are there any surprises I might run into? Anything I’d need to know, hidden connections? Special tools?
Thanks for any info folks!

Hi! Looking for suggestions for this. This the first time I’ve done this to a Vette.
The engine is already out and I’m thinking it’ll be easier to unbolt both subframes, sit them on dollies/jack stands, reassemble everything and drop the body back on. I do have a lift.
Are there any surprises I might run into? Anything I’d need to know, hidden connections? Special tools?
Thanks for any info folks!

Calling @RaceReadyGarageInc

They've done a few of these I suspect.

Hi Bobbo76, you can do it that way. it will be much more time consuming and it's tricky to line the subframes back up when bringing the body back down with out a jig. you will need several sets of hands to keep all the shocks and suspension componenets lined up. there are lots of wire connections and brake lines to separate. it is much easier to drop the engine back down into the engine bay from the top. the only thing that is tricky is the sterring rack needs to be moved amd the bellhousing bolts are hard to access. I use a special wobble socket to get them.

Thanks! I appreciate your input.
I was speculating that putting a little time in removing both subframes and reinstalling them as an assembly might be safer and not have to deal with lining up the input shaft/clutch.

I pulled my engine in my C5 4 times, always out the top, it wasn't to hard (kinda fun!). I dropped the trans and torque tube first and had the heads off, never ran into any problems. I don't know about about removing the subframe and raising the body off, never had access to a 2 post hoist
IMG_1647.JPG

That’s good news. I’ve got a small team lined up to pitch in. Non are have experience with these but all experienced wrenchers.
The last engine I pulled was out of my R32 GTR

Reactions: AlbertaZ06
I pulled my engine in my C5 4 times, always out the top, it wasn't to hard (kinda fun!). I dropped the trans and torque tube first and had the heads off, never ran into any problems. I don't know about about removing the subframe and raising the body off, never had access to a 2 post hoistView attachment 23574
So you removed the torque tube at the transaxle end? I plan to change the bushings so will be dropping it anyway.

I pulled my engine in my C5 4 times, always out the top, it wasn't to hard (kinda fun!). I dropped the trans and torque tube first and had the heads off, never ran into any problems. I don't know about about removing the subframe and raising the body off, never had access to a 2 post hoistView attachment 23574
So you removed the torque tube at the transaxle end? I plan to change the bushings so will be dropping it anyway.

Yes that’s correct, I should have said removed all drivetrain including the differential.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.