Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 28, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1988 Corvette
Province
NS
So, we are all probably aware the C4 didn’t follow any of the previous corvette “shark” themes. 84-96 = no Stingray. They mostly stuck to using the rpo codes (ie:zr1, z51, etc).

My 88 isn’t anything really special (yet), other than being a vert and a z52 car.

I’m thinking I might make it a “faux shark”. Like a clone or like that “missing corvette” show where they made what they think an 83 would look like.

I did something similar with my 83 mustang. The fox mustangs were one of the few generarions to not wear the “mach” name. I used a lot of sn95 Mach 1 parts on it, so we pretty much started calling it the “Mock I”. Plans are under way to make the badging. Undecided if it will be “Mach” or “Mock” though...

So I can go with “Stingray”, “Mako” or one I personally like: “Hammerhead”.

What I’m rolling around in my head is an emblem.

Stingray is easy, 20-ish bucks on ebay and you have a couple stingray emblems:

6AF87A47-8083-493F-85FC-8139DAD77ACF.jpeg

Easy, but that emblem has always remonded me more of a horseshoe crab than a stingray for sone reason....

Mako is a bit harder, but you can actually still buy the Mako emblems and even the “Mako” script:

D1F1F497-599B-4018-900A-3D0607830502.jpeg

It’s just going to cost you and arm and a leg to get one.

Hammerhead obviously does not have an emblem, having never been hung on the Vette. So I’d have to make one. I can do it, its just a lot of work to smelt down the aluminum, make a sand form and pour it. Then clean up and finish work. I’d probably do this graphic as a hammerhead emblem, for simplicities sake as much as anything else:

51EEB5C6-B7DA-440E-9520-EFB4E628F87A.png

I’m leaning towards “Hammerhead”, mostly because it’s never been used on a Vette. So none of those “thats not a Stingray!” A-hole comments you always get from some “expert” about a “clone” or “fake” badge if I go with “Stingray” or even if I use “Mako”.

So, anyone want to venture an opinion on what to go with?

:)

Last edited:
Alrighty. I'm starting to lean towards "stingray".

reasons:

1. The "uninitiated" will see "Stingray" and think it actually is a stingray, until I tell them it's more of a "tribute" car than a "real" Stingray.
2. GM actually made a prototype "Stingray III" in 1989 and it did the show circuit in 1992. It was more of a c5/6 look, but it's still in the right time frame to look sideways through my fingers and say "well, if they had WANTED to, GM COULD HAVE released a C4 Stingray".......:rolleyes:
3. Bill Mitchell (one of the original Vette designers) never liked the C4 design, but Larry Shinoda (who penned the original C2 "stingray" design) did. In fact, he went so far as to design and sell a body kit in conjunction with Rick Mears:
00540064.JPG

00540042.JPG

00540058.JPG

The silver bits are the Shinoda add ons. I'm pretty sure I'm going to build the rear "spoiler" section for my 88, so that will be another tie to the "Shark" moniker. My spoiler will be similar, but probably not as long horizontally.

I'm not settled on it, but getting closer to it.

The pluses are that I can order stingray emblems fairly inexpensively and at least "stingray" is a recognizable name on a Vette. "Hammerhead" will likely just get puzzled looks, which will lead to many confused expressions when I have to explain it.

If I do go with "Stingray", the modern emblems will go on the hood/fender, just above where it says "Tuned Port Injection". The body band with the TPI script will be removed and I'll cast a new piece with "stingray" in the same font as the "TPI" lettering. Probably do them in aluminum, as plastic will be very hard to get to flow into a mold before it starts to harden. Molten aluminum will stay hot enough to flow and fill a mold. I'll just have to paint it semi-gloss balck to match the rest of the Body band....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread