Dimitry1131

Casual User
Jan 8, 2021
Ontario
VetteCoins
Im looking to buy one to daily drive it all year long. I was thinking some great winter tires and careful driving should be good. Any suggestions or past experiences?

With the wide tires on the newer ones and the low ground clearance, I wouldn't even bother taking ours out in the snow. It would be dangerous, to say the least. I backed ours out of the garage onto the snow in the driveway and wasn't sure that I was going to be able to get it back in again. Add to that, the damage that salt will do to all the metal parts, and the car will look like a corroded piece of junk in a few short winters. WE have a 4X4 for safe winter driving and it works for us. Of course, if Daddy paid my bills, I might not care.

Reactions: Dimitry1131
Good point, i saw a few threads about it and some drivers doing so all winter long. Perhaps also depends on where you live exactly? Here in the GTA area there isnt much elevation and most days of winter there no snow on the actual road. Like you mentioned my biggest fear would be the salt. But i read that the underside of the C4 was galvanized with this issues specifically in mind. In effect making the car quite rust resistant

Rust resistant is not rust proof. The roads might be dry when you leave for work but could be any combination of icy, snow covered , slushy and wet, when you need to return home. Its Canada, not South Florida. Big fat tires are good on the dry, and with diligent driving ok in the wet, but they are no good in the winter. Corvettes are not cheap to maintain and throwing salt and brine into the mix, in a car with 30 year old electronics and wiring, would just be looking for trouble. IMO its the wrong car for the winter.

Reactions: Dimitry1131
I appreaciate your replies and insights, thank you. Just a tough situation got me considering it since Ill likely have only one car the next year or so, and I finally want to get a C4

I would run it with all seasons in better days, I did that with my FR-S and mustang. However the salt slurrey they throw down is still there and bothering me. If you get caught in a snow dump it's very unpleasant winter tires or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.