pd64

Casual User
Aug 14, 2018
Alberta Canada
VetteCoins
Car
C3
Hi new here just wondering if it's possible to find a C3 without rust holes forward of the rear wheels on the frame in these Northern climates? Looked at a few and they all seem to have it to some degree. And I worry about what I can't see.
Looked at this one today a 1975

Attachments

• IMG_9528.JPG
    IMG_9528.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 88
Easy fix if you don’t mind a little work
Well if it’s there then it’s the tip of the iceberg it’s also where you can’t see also further up. So frame off work isn’t my idea of an easy fix. So many sellers are oblivious to the rust issues that plague these cars and have no clue when you ask about it.
But I’m happy to report I think I found one.

Well if it’s there then it’s the tip of the iceberg it’s also where you can’t see also further up. So frame off work isn’t my idea of an easy fix. So many sellers are oblivious to the rust issues that plague these cars and have no clue when you ask about it.
But I’m happy to report I think I found one.

I’m not a C3 guy but you are 100% right. It’s the birdcage corrosion that goes along with this level of visibile damage that is incredibly difficult to repair.
There are some very detailed threads here on this in the C3 section and likely other places that have good information and photos. Here is a real good one from Taylor’s restoration. This will give you the whole process.
And it begins....Body off
Basically if you don’t want to work on it extensively walk away.
I think you can still find some good cars in that C3 vintage but you will have to be patient and look at plenty of them if in Canada. Many guys buy them out of the southern US and have a much better chance of finding a car with minimal corrosion.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress or post up some candidates. A picture usually wakes this crowd up quickly.

A good thing to do is post an introduction in the new members section. This will get you more exposure to the C3 gurus here. These guys are always helpful for new members as they are happy to have another fellow C3 pilot. 😁

Derek.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbozig and pd64
I would say you can find them...but they are getting harder to find. They will also be the higher priced cars in general. I wouldn't be to worried about that spot in particular but you are right in that it is a red flag to look further. The #2 body mounts would be another place to look. You need to remove the kick panels in the foot wells to see them. Also can remove the cover for the #3 mount in the front of the rear wheel well and look in. Might have to removed the wheel to get a good look. The body mounts will give a good indication of how much rust is burried in the birdcage. The rust you showed a picture of is likely from road grime collecting in the frame holes and now being able to escape. It settles in the corner where you see the hole. You can also look at the rear cross member (under the gas tank) and the front cross member (under the front of the engine). This front one is almost always dented in in the middle due to people thinking it is a good place for a floor jack....from factory it is not, there is no support inside it. You can also look around the windsheild to look for just jacking (raised areas where rust is swelling the parts near it) although it is hard to see with the trim in place.

Hope this helps a bit.

Don't rush. Go through the car with a picky eye and it will save you alot of work down the road. In general the price isn't going to change from a rusted out car to and OK car because people don't typically know how bad their car is when they are trying to sell it.

T

I would say you can find them...but they are getting harder to find. They will also be the higher priced cars in general. I wouldn't be to worried about that spot in particular but you are right in that it is a red flag to look further. The #2 body mounts would be another place to look. You need to remove the kick panels in the foot wells to see them. Also can remove the cover for the #3 mount in the front of the rear wheel well and look in. Might have to removed the wheel to get a good look. The body mounts will give a good indication of how much rust is burried in the birdcage. The rust you showed a picture of is likely from road grime collecting in the frame holes and now being able to escape. It settles in the corner where you see the hole. You can also look at the rear cross member (under the gas tank) and the front cross member (under the front of the engine). This front one is almost always dented in in the middle due to people thinking it is a good place for a floor jack....from factory it is not, there is no support inside it. You can also look around the windsheild to look for just jacking (raised areas where rust is swelling the parts near it) although it is hard to see with the trim in place.

Hope this helps a bit.

Don't rush. Go through the car with a picky eye and it will save you alot of work down the road. In general the price isn't going to change from a rusted out car to and OK car because people don't typically know how bad their car is when they are trying to sell it.

T
Yes I’ve noticed most sellers have no clue about rust when you ask about it.
I’m going to look at what looks like a very clean one today. It’s more than I was wanting to spend but I’ve learned with these cars it’s better to spend more for a good one. Thanks

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
:nailbiting: … it was what made the choice of which side of the fence to fall on when considering the big :greedy: for a C7.
I wanted to go back in time in my mind … but there was that thought of corrosion at the forefront. I hold a
lot of envy and appreciation for those who can invest a lot of time bringing a car back to "glory". :thumbs:

Reactions: pd64 and ddgermann
Rust never sleeps. In my experience it's always better to spend more for a good car unless perhaps you have the will, skill and facility to do the work yourself. Shop time is expensive and usually more than makes up for the initial difference in cost between a good car and one with rust issues. There are rust free Canadian C3's but they aren't common. Remember when the ad says "rust free" it often means "there's no charge for the rust". Do your due diligence and you won't be disappointed. Always good to have another happy C3 owner.

Rust free cars are out there, just have to watch for one. I bought my C3 82 4 years ago in Edmonton with 151,000 km, not a spec of rust. A friend of mine should be back today went to look at a one owner 49,000 km '81 also in Edmonton and a 47,000 km Collector 82. I think he'll end up with the 81 but we'll see when he gets home here, as he is fussy like me. But true, there is alot of junk out there guys trying to push on first time Vette buyers.

• Agree
Yes you can but you'll need to be patient. I found one with NO rust. A '73. Originally from Oregon, then came to Southern ON 35 years ago. I'm the 3rd owner. Must say, it's never seen snow or salt in it's life. Been mine for 6 years now & it had 28,000 miles on the clock when I bought it. Good luck in your search.

• Winner
I posted it in another thread of mine but yeah, we just recently picked up a rust free 76 at a GM dealer in Lloydminster, 68,000 mile car. Drove it over the pit and I looked it over under every which way and no rust unrestored car. So they are out there just have to watch for them. Also looked at a 78 that came from Florida 4 years ago but windshield pillar shows rust, it is bleeding red at the seams by the door post tag too , alot of bad cars out there for sale.

Reactions: Roarry and pd64
When I bought my 77 Corvette 5 years ago I was 16. I found it with 66,000 miles on it. However being young and new to cars I never looked to see what condition the frame was in. Looking at it later there was just some very minor surface rust. So I wire brushed the whole frame and undercoated it with zero rust. I also used eastwood internal fram coating to preserve it. I’ve been going back and redoing some sections using a sanding wheel to smooth it out, painting it with brush on POR15, then using spray on zero rust over top. I found that this combination produces a super flat and extremely durable finish. I’ve hit it with a hammer and nothing happened. I’ve taken the removal crossmembers out and had them sand blasted and powdercoated.

They are out there I just got really lucky. It was a true gift from God to find this car. I say that because at 16 I bought it for $2500.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.