FarrellyT

Casual User
Oct 6, 2018
Connecticut
VetteCoins
Car
1979 Corvette
Got my car on the road finally after completely restoring brakes and brake lines but when I drive it the speedometer needle bounces around a bit is there a way to fix this or do I replace the whole thing? Also when I put the car into reverse from park it feels like the whole car drops down is that normal? Car is a 1979 late for reference thanks!

Got my car on the road finally after completely restoring brakes and brake lines but when I drive it the speedometer needle bounces around a bit is there a way to fix this or do I replace the whole thing? Also when I put the car into reverse from park it feels like the whole car drops down is that normal? Car is a 1979 late for reference thanks!

Congratulations on the new brakes.
It all sounds normal to me for a car this age.
You may need a new Speedo head or possibly some cable lube as it think they were still mechanical back then.
The rear dropping is lovely lovely torque acting on your spring. I’ve seen this with many C3s. How much it’s dropping is the key. Guessing soon you will have the exact answers from the CCF C3 gurus.

Happy holidays

You could try slow the idle down which will give it less torque when you put it in reverse thus not give that feeling. As far as the jumpy speedo, like ddgermann said maybe all it needs is some cable lube. The cable will pull out either from the tranny end or speedo end , not sure which one only , but can pull it out and clean and use light oil or quality spray lube the whole thing. If you have cruise control then do them both.

Reactions: FarrellyT
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.