charlesorosz

Casual User
Dec 30, 2019
Montreal, Canada
VetteCoins
Hi guys, I picked up a new project; 1975 corvette stingray. It has a few issues to fix, one of which is the speedometer. When driving below 50km/h, the needle “bounces” up and down quite substantially, so you basically don’t know the speed you’re going at. That said, once you go above 50km/h or so, the needle stabilizes and displays the correct speed. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any ideas? Anything is appreciated, thanks!

Hi guys, I picked up a new project; 1975 corvette stingray. It has a few issues to fix, one of which is the speedometer. When driving below 50km/h, the needle “bounces” up and down quite substantially, so you basically don’t know the speed you’re going at. That said, once you go above 50km/h or so, the needle stabilizes and displays the correct speed. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any ideas? Anything is appreciated, thanks!

Hi Charles,

I had the same issue as you before I swapped in my 6 speed. It could be a number of things. It could be the speedometer gear in the transmission, it could be a sticky speedometer cable which would require you to remove the cable and spray some brake cleaner down it while spinning the sable to get rid of the gunk that is in there. Then spray it with some WD40 or white grease. Or if your car has factory speed control it could be an issue inside that module.

Hopefully this helps. I know after I cleaned inside my cables they were steady from around 10-20kms up. Anything below that was barely bouncing.

Last edited:

Hi Charles,

I had the same issue as you before I swapped in my 6 speed. It could be a number of things. It could be the speedometer gear in the transmission, it could be a sticky speedometer cable which would require you to remove the cable and spray some brake cleaner down it while spinning the sable to get rid of the gunk that is in there. Then spray it with some WD40 or white grease. Or if your car has factory speed control it could be an issue inside that module.

Hopefully this helps. I know after I cleaned inside my cables they were steady from around 10-20kms up. Anything below that was barely bouncing.

Thanks, I’ll give it all a try and give an update

Does the dash need to come out to do this? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yes, the dash does need to be dissassembled to gain access to the speedo and tachometer cables on the rear of the gauges. I suggest if you do decide to dive into this project, clean and lube both the speedo and tachometer cables while you have the dash dissassembled. Also a good time to check all gauge backlamps and vacuum lines while apart, as you do not want to do this job twice.

Reactions: 72ray
Does the dash need to come out to do this? 🤦🏻‍♂️

It is possible you could get it with the dash in but it's very tight. If you remove the vent the goes under the steering wheel you may be able to reach up and unhook the speedo cable. It only has a spring tab holding it in so if you press that spring tap down then the cable just pulls out (if it's like my 77). You'll likely have to pull the dash like Ziggy said.

Reactions: 72ray and turbozig
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.