I'm New Here
Jan 13, 2019
Northern Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1974 stingray
Province
ON
Recently restoring a 74 c3, upon taking the interior out I noticed a very small steel line coming from under the console, goes over to the back of the car and then goes into a rubber hose, it appears to go right under the console towards the front. Without tearing my car apart to trace it does anyone know what its for?

Astro ventilation. I believe it is a vacuum line to run the actuator on it. If you look up under the rear deck (where the vents are on the outside) you should see the housing with and vacuum actuator on one end.

T

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
On my 74 , there is no ventilation, they are fake on the rear deck of the car.
I also did not see any line inside the car near the console and I had it completely apart.

Ok. There are vents on the rear deck with rubber hoses the size of heater hose coming from them, however I cannot see any actuators. The steel line certainly is factory. It was corroded and had two holes in it. Its repaired now, will see how the astro vents work now.
Thanks for the info!

Here is a pic of an actuator from a '74. This is not my picture it is taken from the net.

DSC_0126_2.jpg

The actuator is not very big. About 2" - 2.5" Diameter.

The hoses are drains for the water that comes in the vents. Common place for water to get into the car. Check to see they are not cracked or show signs of leaking. There is a flap/door that is opened by the actuator when the system is open for air to go through. They close with no vacuum.

T

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.