May 28, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
1965 convertible
I am slowly piecing together my 65 Corvette after years of storage. I am having a devil of a time trying to get a shifter to mount. At first I bought what I was told was a 66 Corvette shifter but it turned out to be for some other Chevy so I decided to buy one off Ebay listed as a 64-67 4 speed shifter.
My question is; does this shifter mount directly to the transmission or is there supposed to be an adapter for it like Hurst uses? My assembly manual does not show an adapter used for the 4 speed shifter. When I bolt it to the transmission, the bottom levers in the shifter mechanism hit the frame.

You will definitely need a shifter mounting bracket. My bracket for 67 is different from yours so I found this assembly diagram from Corvette America that shows you the bracket needed for a 65. I assuming that you have a standard 4 speed Muncie. Hope this helps.
shifter mount.jpg

Reactions: ddgermann
Yes, thanks, after further research, I ordered one. My assembly manual did not have an image of this bracket in it for a four speed just the three speed but I suppose it was meant to be understood that the 4 speed also takes an adapter. Thanks for responding and posting that diagram, much appreciated.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.