Hi Don,
Just want to make sure there is no confusion before I answer. There are no small vs large headlight buckets for 63-67, they are all the same size, and all for 4 headlight cars. I assume you are asking about the bucket, the main component of the headlight assembly that holds the beams, adjusters, springs, etc. These are the parts on the lower left of the pic below.
All the buckets and assemblies for 63-67 are the same size. The only difference are 63s which have a fiberglass skin so they are a bit different but fit the same. The 64-67 are all solid metal buckets. So if you are looking to replace your buckets, I would stick to 64-67 simply because they will be less trouble and will not be prone to issues from the fiberglass skin of the 63s. BTW, most repro aftermarkets are all metal, including for 63.
Good Luck,
Luke

paint accessories.jpg

Last edited:
No, not those "capsules" that hold the whole shebang. I mean those black buckets that the bulb fits into. I have everything else. All the gm cars with 4 headlights that have separate "buckets" look like they would fit into the headlight assembly that you are showing. I just want to see if anyone knows for sure before I buy something that won't work. Anything that says Corvette on it is twice as expensive as a gm part that is the same thing.
Sorry, I should have attached a photo.

Attachments

• head light bucket.jpg
    head light bucket.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 52
.....I just looked in my 58-66 GM parts book for full size cars like the Impala etc, the same part numbers 58-66 only inner and outter / right-left sides have different part numbers . I'll try look in the Corvette book 2morrow in the shop to compare numbers , but my guess is that they would be the same as they all use the same seam beams. Will try get it done 2morrow as I been kinda busy here on the road lately.

Reactions: wildmandon
Hey, thanks man. I really do appreciate it. There is no great hurry, I still have some more work to do on the car, hope to have it going in a few weeks. Parts for old American cars are hard to find used around here. All the salvage yards are full of late models.
.....I just looked in my 58-66 GM parts book for full size cars like the Impala etc, the same part numbers 58-66 only inner and outter / right-left sides have different part numbers . I'll try look in the Corvette book 2morrow in the shop to compare numbers , but my guess is that they would be the same as they all use the same seam beams. Will try get it done 2morrow as I been kinda busy here on the road lately.

Xfire82 is on the right track. The short answer is they are all the same size, BUT they are all different. GM made 4 different cups during the 58-82 period and identified them with a stamp A through D. The difference is the positioning of the mounting and adjustment pads. Depending on the car and, the cups may be different for outer and inner beams, and for driver and passengers sides. There seems to be some inconsistencies on the various supplier sites but my search conclusion for mid year corvettes is as follows,
- A cup is used for outer beams (both sides) OE GM pn# 5950507
- B cup is used for inners beams (both sides) OE GM pn# 5950500

My headlight buckets are apart right now, so I will try to get into the garage later and dig out to cups to confirm. If XFire82 can check the OE PNs, that would further confirm things.
BTW, the cheapest I found for these parts is Corvette Pacifica.

They also seem to have used to same cups on many applications, firebird, Impala, etc. So hopefully, it will be easier for you to find used.
Cheers..

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ddgermann
Ok. Had a chance to check my cups... (yes, that does sound weird!!).
First, there are stamps, but not A or B, so I assume mine have been replaced at some point. The stamps where different for Outer and inner cups. But when I laid them all on the bench, other than the stamps, the cups seemed identical.
I then stacked them and you can see in the second picture that there is one notch that is offset differently on the outer vs inner cups. These match the notches behind the sealed beams which are also positioned differently on the high beam seal vs low beam seal, making it possible to install the beams correctly only by using the right cups.
So I can confirm to you that you need different cups for inner and outer (low beam, high beam). Xfire82s parts book will be the right source to determine what other GM cars had the same cups so you can check the salvage yards.
I learned something today!
Good Luck

DSC05859.JPGDSC05861.JPG

Thanks, I appreciate the information. I am hoping that if I buy a complete set of four off of a GM vehicle that they will work. There is a set of 4 on Ebay now that I am considering

From the GM Corvette parts book dated 1983 :

The mounting ring as they call it ( bucket ) : 58-82 LH outter 5950507 , LH inner 5950506 , RH inner 5950500 , RH outter 5950513 ( says 68-82 ? ) , the stainless retaining ring that holds the light in place all same 58-82 5954892.

From GM parts book 58-66 dated 1966 , full size cars:

Mounting Ring 58-66 RH inner 5948824, RH outter 5948826 , LH inner 5948825 , LH outter 5948827

.............Now as you can see the Vette numbers are all different than the full size cars, why I don't know ? could be a change up in the numbers over the years when these books were printed in 1966 and 1983. The seal beams are the same so they fit the buckets. I had a 58 Impala headlight assembly in the shop so I took pics and measurements of it for you to compare. These say R1 and R2 for the right side inner and outter, as these are factory originals. The left side would say L1 and L2 . I can't see why from any car they wouldn't fit. They only have the 2 adjuster screws to grab and those look in the same place. Best I can do for you.
Center hole 2.84 " , depth 1.75" , width 5.78 "

IM003734.JPG

IM003735.JPG

IM003732.JPG

IM003733.JPG

IM003737.JPG

IM003738.JPG

IM003739.JPG

Thank you very much XFIRE82, you have done much more than one would expect. Very helpful. I think I will buy a set of generic GM "rings" or "buckets" and give them a try.
Again, I appreciate all the trouble you went to.:thumbs:

Reactions: Rruuff Day
All you guys on this board have helped me a whole lot. I am grateful for each one of you. My Vette used to have one of those old shark nose front end assemblies that eliminated all the neat retractable headlights and I am trying to piece it all back as original as I can. Almost there.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.