I'm New Here
You're 5
Mar 15, 2018
29 Nisbet, dr.Aurora, Ontario, Canada. L4G-2K4
VetteCoins
Car
1964 corvette conver
Hi.
Looking for some input or advise on lowering a body down on a replacement frame with new bushing and hardware.
I have no history on how many shims were installed at any of the bushings.
My only idea is to slowly lower the body and shim as required. But wondering if there was a factory setting of shims for the central mounts initialy..

There is no standard. Those cars were all hand made and assembled so they would shim as required. I believe, for rubber bushings, there is a square washer for the bottom and a round on for the top needed. Then shim beyond that to level the body. Poly kits come with both being round ( I think). As I am sure you realize....make sure the frame is level when you do this. On my C3 there are alignment holes in the doorsill/rocker that match up to the holes in the frame. You can use a (I think) 1/2" bar through them to help you position the body as you lower it. I am not sure if the C2 bodies had this.

T

Eric ... I'm going through this myself. The GM Assembly Manual for a '67 says the radiator support gets shimmed as required. #1 position (approximately 4 shims). The #1 position is near the firewall. Positions #2 thru #4 all get shimmed as required and I believe #2 position is only used for convertibles. The manual also says the residual torque on these bolts should be 25 ft-lbs minimum, after a roll test.

Another source that I found to be very helpful is at: Shimming body mounts to decrease door gaps - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

I had to replace the frame on the '67 I'm trying to revive and I test mounted the body on the new frame after the bare frame was restored. I've since removed the body to work on finishing the frame and installing engine & drive train. So far every thing seems to be working out. It's really amazing how you can tweak the shims to help get the gaps right around the doors. Good luck

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
Eric ... I'm going through this myself. The GM Assembly Manual for a '67 says the radiator support gets shimmed as required. #1 position (approximately 4 shims). The #1 position is near the firewall. Positions #2 thru #4 all get shimmed as required and I believe #2 position is only used for convertibles. The manual also says the residual torque on these bolts should be 25 ft-lbs minimum, after a roll test.

Another source that I found to be very helpful is at: Shimming body mounts to decrease door gaps - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

I had to replace the frame on the '67 I'm trying to revive and I test mounted the body on the new frame after the bare frame was restored. I've since removed the body to work on finishing the frame and installing engine & drive train. So far every thing seems to be working out. It's really amazing how you can tweak the shims to help get the gaps right around the doors. Good luck
Thanks for the information..
I plan on dropping the body down on the frame in the next week or two.
I appreciate your input and will let you know how it all went.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.