alfandme

I'm New Here
2 You're 5
Jul 18, 2016
Orangeville, On
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 1984 Coupe
Looking for help please. 1984 in storage during winter with battery disconnected. battery now connected and fully charged. Lights, horn,radio,wipers. EVERYTHING works fine but car won't start. Won't even turn over. Suspect it has something to do with security system. Never had this issue before however last summer the instrument cluster had to be replaced and there was also some work done on the automatic door locks. Tried just using key to manually lock and unlock the doors. Tried both sets of keys. No luck. Beautiful day in Orangeville going to waste . . .

Hello Alf
I have been through the won't start for no reason issue. Its a PIA. Assuming the security sys is the same in a 1991 here's what I found.
Look for the simplest thing first, blown fuses maybe. There is lots of info on line.
If its the security system, you will not hear the fuel pump nor will the car turn over, but you will have power every where else.
There are relays associated with both the starter and the fuel pump that should be checked.
There is info on line that explains the various conditions related to the "security " light that it might point you somewhere.
It could be the chip in your key, I see you tried another key but did you try it immediately ?
Try a start, if no go, wait at least 10 minutes. If you repeatedly toggle the starter the system thinks its a theft attempt and can shut down,

I tried a cheap VATS by pass from Mid america, it seemed to work for a while but the problem re occured.
I had the ignition cylinder replaced, that seemed to work for a while, but problem reoccured.
I installed a "New Rockies" module that completely by passes all of the security systems not just the keys and it worked for about 2 years then bingo, a no start happened again, at which point I by passed the starter safety switch on the clutch pedal.

It has started ever since, which, I hate to say for fear of jinxing the whole deal.

Hope you find something simple, good luck.

Hi Alf
1st off, do you have power to your radio, cluster etc? Or is it a total power loss? If its a total loss, start checking your fuse-able links.

You menton manual keys arent working? It would seem that usually if something was working, then worked on, then no worky, go back and look for one of your rods inside the door, sound like its bound up.

IF ITS NOT THAT, It could be your VATS, this can be bypassed at home without any kit.
Check out Corvette Centrals little blurb on it, but more importantly.....look at how they have that jumper wire set up with the relay they took off allowing access to the pins.
Heres the link....good luck in Orangeville!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread