Greg06

I'm New Here
Nov 26, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2004 Z06
I just started looking on the net and found some dealers offering 11 - 12% off MSRP. I called and was informed by them that GM has provided certain dealers with a discount coupon to sell at employee pricing, which expires Aug 31. My question to forum members, is this a good deal given that '18s are on the lots?

Great deal. No real changes at all between the 2017 and 2018 so if you find one that ticks all the items you want, go for it! If you want some features that you can't find with a 'left over' 2017, you'll just have to decide if that additional 11% extra is worth it.
I'm super jealous of anyone looking for a Z! Make sure to let us know what you get!!!

Greg there is really no significant difference in the 17 and 18. You can google the differences as I did but they are so minor I don't even remember them.
As Riley said it all depends on what you want to spend to get exactly what you want. There are some really well equipped 17s in all trims and colours still available. Seems to be many A8 17 Z06s on all the lots out here in Alberta. What I found just buying my 17 is the M7 was tough to get in the colour of car I wanted. They found me 2 black Z07 3LZs over in your province. I had to eat half the shipping cost to bring over the one I chose. There was no GM incentive at that time either.
Keep us posted on your quest for Z06 awesomeness. :Woohoo:
Derek.

I'm going to look at a few over the next 2 days but will probably take my time. Lots of options to consider which impact price. For instance do I really want (to pay for) the Z07 Perf Pack if I don't track? Is the 3LZ really that much better than a 2LZ (though I do like high grade interior)? I prefer the M7 but read/hear the A8 is impressive. Don't want buyers remorse. Going to do some more reading and research. I really appreaciate your (forum members) opinions and experiences. Thx Greg

Reactions: Cruzin
I'm going to look at a few over the next 2 days but will probably take my time. Lots of options to consider which impact price. For instance do I really want (to pay for) the Z07 Perf Pack if I don't track? Is the 3LZ really that much better than a 2LZ (though I do like high grade interior)? I prefer the M7 but read/hear the A8 is impressive. Don't want buyers remorse. Going to do some more reading and research. I really appreaciate your (forum members) opinions and experiences. Thx Greg
Greg I remember going through this. 3 Z06s later I finally got my new Z06 with all of the above. The only remorse I had was not getting everything in the first place. Z07 or 3LZ are things you may later wish you had but never regret having.
Sure hope you find the Vette of your dreams the first time.
D

Reactions: Riley P
Unfortunately I do not personally know the Ontario Dealer Market ... but I am definitely in tune for the moment for the remaining
2017 in the Province that the Federal Leader refers to as being between BC and Saskatchewan.
A Dealer in Edmonton has made this Calgary Boy very, very, happy two years in a row (both times in July).
I attribute a part of it being closer to where the Oil comes out of the ground (which not a whole lot is coming out at the moment).
So I can say in Alberta you may likely do rather well starting Aug 31st with the right Dealer and right vehicle.
I still see a Brand New Black 2016 $99k MSRP loaded 3LT Stingray with a $69,999 sticker on it now in Calgary.
Sept & Oct last year had some great price reductions of about $20k on-lot inventory but nothing is guaranteed for that to repeat.

So what might work with a Dealership you don't know ... and to cut through the shenanigans and sales tactics, find what you want on a lot. Insist on seeing the Sales Manager (or General Sales Manager),
give him/her your offer and have them call you when it 's good and leave. You might have to have them see you leaving the building a few times
before they take you more seriously. With patience, wait for the last day of the month and hard nose that bargain. Might work! Might not ...
Cheers

I agree with you, when I was customizing my Vette I was both in love and overwhelmed with the options offered when customizing my 2017.
If you're not tracking the car at all, I don't suggest paying the extra cost for the Z07 package. I've had about 20+ lapping hours clocked in on my Vette and I still didn't go with the Z07 just for the sake of the cost to replace brakes, pads, rotors (down the road), etc.

As you said, to avoid buyer's remorse I would strongly suggest going with the 3LT, I found the difference to be well worth it. Its a premium car, might as well get the premium interior package.

Manual all day for me. Going to throw an MGW on it next year and put more lap time in.

As you said, to avoid buyer's remorse I would strongly suggest going with the 3LT, I found the difference to be well worth it. Its a premium car, might as well get the premium interior package.

Manual all day for me. Going to throw an MGW on it next year and put more lap time in.

I agree ... 3LT and M

Reactions: ddgermann
No question ... a 3LT also and again for our second one. Both of us decided to "retire" on the idea of the M7 and enjoy the A8.
No disappointments. With the 3LT (3LZ) there's no thought ever coming across our minds to add-on to what came from the Factory.
That's just us ... my days are done from doing add-ons (well, that's for today anyway). Besides, it was one of the first questions my
insurance asked about the car. Best insurance pricing when factory and a different insurance game once they determined "modified".
Wishes for Good Fortune on your hunt and acquisition. Looking forward to hearing about the day you will complain that your cheeks
are starting to hurt from the "Corvette Owner Grin" on the turn-over day of the key-fobs.

I agree with you, when I was customizing my Vette I was both in love and overwhelmed with the options offered when customizing my 2017.
If you're not tracking the car at all, I don't suggest paying the extra cost for the Z07 package. I've had about 20+ lapping hours clocked in on my Vette and I still didn't go with the Z07 just for the sake of the cost to replace brakes, pads, rotors (down the road), etc.

Initially I felt exactly the same about the Z07 and said it on a number of occasions. Words I am now eating. In my case my goal is to slide into a ZR1 next year and after some checking around on resale value the Z07 option is retained in the resale value especially on a very low mileage 3LZ Car. These cars are selling for almost new prices especially the M7s.
So my possibly insane rationalizations have put me in the position where I have the "ultimate stock C7 Z06" and if the ZR1 is not or not available in the configuration I want for the $$s they are going to be asking then I'm set in a car I love and am totally satisfied with to drive for years to come. (We will leave the C8 pining out of this...).
I admire your self control Toxix. :D

Reactions: Cruzin
There are many things to consider when purchasing a new C7. I agree with most of the comments, one has to take his or her time and look around to get the best price and the options you want. I was considering a 2LT interior but after reading Toxix's comments regarding the 3LT it makes sense to pay a little more and get the premium interior then no remorse down the road. Premium car, premium interior. Unfortunately living in Ontario dealers don't seem to have many vettes on their lots with options I would like to have. Since very little price difference may have to order a 2018 Stingray during the winter. Thanks for Forum as it keeps one updated on all things relating to Vettes.

I agree with everything that has been said but I'll add my $85k worth. The only real difference would be the resale value when you sell or trade it in. The 2017 is obviously a year older but the longer you keep it the less that difference will be. However a note of caution, don't be tricked by a car that is loaded with high priced cosmetic options artificially boosting the MSRP of the 2017. A year ago I looked at some great discounts on some 2016 cars still in inventory but they were loaded with mostly cosmetic options that I did not want such as many very expensive little pieces of carbon fiber. I was also not keen on the 3LT package as I did not like the look with the Kalahari interior. I found that the nap at wear points of the 3LT interior began to show wear very quickly especially in the Kalahari. Check out the differences between 2LT and 3LT and make sure those features are worth the substantial price difference. In the end I ordered a 2017 Grand Sport 2LT, M7, chrome wheels with navi for the same price as a well discounted 2016 that had a number of cosmetic options that did not interest me but made it look like I was getting a great deal. Good luck and don't forget to book your space in the Ron Fellows Corvette Driving School at Spring Mountain outside Las Vegas. I assume the big discount still applies to new Corvette purchasers. By far the fastest way to learn the capabilities (and limitations) of your new dream machine. Two days of great fun and learning with fellow new Corvette purchasers.

I agree with everything that has been said but I'll add my $85k worth. The only real difference would be the resale value when you sell or trade it in. The 2017 is obviously a year older but the longer you keep it the less that difference will be. However a note of caution, don't be tricked by a car that is loaded with high priced cosmetic options artificially boosting the MSRP of the 2017. A year ago I looked at some great discounts on some 2016 cars still in inventory but they were loaded with mostly cosmetic options that I did not want such as many very expensive little pieces of carbon fiber. I was also not keen on the 3LT package as I did not like the look with the Kalahari interior. I found that the nap at wear points of the 3LT interior began to show wear very quickly especially in the Kalahari. Check out the differences between 2LT and 3LT and make sure those features are worth the substantial price difference. In the end I ordered a 2017 Grand Sport 2LT, M7, chrome wheels with navi for the same price as a well discounted 2016 that had a number of cosmetic options that did not interest me but made it look like I was getting a great deal. Good luck and don't forget to book your space in the Ron Fellows Corvette Driving School at Spring Mountain outside Las Vegas. I assume the big discount still applies to new Corvette purchasers. By far the fastest way to learn the capabilities (and limitations) of your new dream machine. Two days of great fun and learning with fellow new Corvette purchasers.

That's a great post David. Although I have totally different expectations as above I fully respect your point of view as getting exactly what pleases your sense of buying value and satisfaction. I find it very interesting to see the requirements and thought processes of others compared to my at times somewhat teenage point of view.
It sounds like you have the car you want on your terms. Good feeling. I have the same.
It's all good and we are both loving our Corvettes. Bravo! :thumbs:
And yes the dealer told me I have a slot to book with Ron Fellows. Said I only had to cover the airfare which for me is $0 due to a million aeroplan miles.... :Biggrin:

Reactions: DavidWG
Agreed, that is what makes it such a fun hobby, the different approaches each person has. My first C7 was a 2014 Z51 and I loved it but wondered about a Z06 even though I could never really open up the Z51 without putting my license in serious jeopardy. Finally drove a friends C7 Z06 before ordering my Grand Sport. No question there was a significant power difference but again I knew I could never get to use it except for the odd shot and the extra cost was a big factor. So I ordered the GS. Then in June at Ron Fellows I got to drive both and was delighted to discover that the GS, which handled better on the tight course than the Z51 or the Z06 was the more appropriate car for me and my style of driving. Just got back from a week of "tire testing" in the Deals Gap and surrounding roads. Been going there on motorcycles for years and have had the GS there twice in the past 12 months. I'm glad that the carbon fiber look does not do anything for me as those are expensive bits. Probably an age thing like the chrome wheels vs black wheels debate. Over 50s like chrome and under 40s like black and the 40-50 year olds are split.

Attachments

• 1684694 (1024x683).jpg
    1684694 (1024x683).jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 16
Agreed, that is what makes it such a fun hobby, the different approaches each person has. My first C7 was a 2014 Z51 and I loved it but wondered about a Z06 even though I could never really open up the Z51 without putting my license in serious jeopardy. Finally drove a friends C7 Z06 before ordering my Grand Sport. No question there was a significant power difference but again I knew I could never get to use it except for the odd shot and the extra cost was a big factor. So I ordered the GS. Then in June at Ron Fellows I got to drive both and was delighted to discover that the GS, which handled better on the tight course than the Z51 or the Z06 was the more appropriate car for me and my style of driving. Just got back from a week of "tire testing" in the Deals Gap and surrounding roads. Been going there on motorcycles for years and have had the GS there twice in the past 12 months. I'm glad that the carbon fiber look does not do anything for me as those are expensive bits. Probably an age thing like the chrome wheels vs black wheels debate. Over 50s like chrome and under 40s like black and the 40-50 year olds are split.

That certainly is a sweet looking GS Dave. Sounds like it is perfect for your expectations and performance requirements. It's true the Z is a beast and has more power than practically needed on the street. I however enjoy knowing there is a distinct edge on how much the right foot can travel in most cases. The nannies do tame it down considerably so while I'm aware; I never really sense danger. Only acceleration which makes the car really fun for me. One great thing about black paint is it looks good with black or chrome wheels. I'm the exception to the black vs chrome wheels thing I guess as 50 was 4 years ago. ;) I like the stealthy blacked out look on my Z. Carbon fibre I fully admit has nothing to do with weight savings or anything beyond preference for me. And yes that stuff is stupidly expensive. I cringe evertime I add some.
Your tire testing trip sounds fantastic. I'm still searching for that road but have a couple candidates to try.
Great to see you enjoying your Corvette. :)

Reactions: 12cents
Well I got a chance to drive two C7Zs with an A8 & M7. Wow, what an improvement over my C6 coupe & C5Z. Now I need to decide which tranny to go with. I'm also sold on the Z07, 3LZ & other bling. Decisions, decisions. A week ago I wasn't even thinking of a new vette.

Well I got a chance to drive two C7Zs with an A8 & M7. Wow, what an improvement over my C6 coupe & C5Z. Now I need to decide which tranny to go with. I'm also sold on the Z07, 3LZ & other bling. Decisions, decisions. A week ago I wasn't thing of a new vette.

Greg the transmission is a tough one. Both are great for their own reasons.
I'm running the M7 and love it all the time; except in heavy stop and go traffic. Then I just like it a lot. ;)

Ive pulled you over to the dark side on trim level... good..very Goooood. You won't be disappointed. :Hurray:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.