Jan 14, 2023
VetteCoins
Car
2023 Corvette C8
Province
ON
Hey Everyone,

The warm weather is finally here in Toronto! Long story short, I went for a drive in my C8 Stingray yesterday afternoon and decided to turn on the air conditioning for the very first time. To my surprise, it was not functioning. Even set to "LO", the air coming out the vents was warm. The A/C button was on and recirculation didn't change anything.

I can't hear the A/C clutch engage or the fans, RPM's also don't budge. I've driven the car about a month and put on 1000 kilometers (total mileage).

I'm curious if anyone's had a similar experience or any problems with their A/C, in general? I have an appointment set for Friday to have it looked at.

Thanks in advance for your input, have a great day!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Bunny hop
Some vehicles don't like having their A/C turned on with the lowest temperature setting.
It can freeze up the compressor and other components in the dash. Then nothing works.
Can you try turning it on with the temperature control set to around 22C, to start?
Then, if it blows cool, gradually set it a little bit lower, until it's blowing cool enough to be comfortable.

Some vehicles don't like having their A/C turned on with the lowest temperature setting.
It can freeze up the compressor and other components in the dash. Then nothing works.
Can you try turning it on with the temperature control set to around 22C, to start?
Then, if it blows cool, gradually set it a little bit lower, until it's blowing cool enough to be comfortable.
Thanks for the reply!

I usually have the A/C set to 22C in my other vehicles. I did the same in the Stingray yesterday and gradually worked down to LO (to see if there'd be any change) - degree by degree. The warm air temperature remained the same at any setting.

Hmmmm, my Sprinter is a prime example of the start midrange, then lower it.
I'd be looking at breakers/fuses/relays next, for something to do with the compressor.
Anecdotal experience - In 1978 I bought a brand new Ford E150 Econoline van to use as a camper.
Took a drive south to Florida, and as we got closer to the heat, I tried the A/C. Nada. Nothing.
Since it was brand new, I took it to a FLA Ford dealer for diagnosis and repair.
They got it in and pulled the doghouse, and found the factory wiring behind the dash hadn't been finally connected.
They fixed and tested it, all OK. No charge. "we'll let Uncle Henry pay for this one" they said.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

The warm weather is finally here in Toronto! Long story short, I went for a drive in my C8 Stingray yesterday afternoon and decided to turn on the air conditioning for the very first time. To my surprise, it was not functioning. Even set to "LO", the air coming out the vents was warm. The A/C button was on and recirculation didn't change anything.

I can't hear the A/C clutch engage or the fans, RPM's also don't budge. I've driven the car about a month and put on 1000 kilometers (total mileage).

I'm curious if anyone's had a similar experience or any problems with their A/C, in general? I have an appointment set for Friday to have it looked at.

Thanks in advance for your input, have a great day!
The clutch won't engage if there is no refrigerant .

had a f150 where they only filled the refrigerant levels a bit and,would not work

after visiting the dealership 3 times I insisted they fix it or take the new vehicle and put it where the sun don’t shine

the service manager came over and after listening to me he said check the vin
apparent,y about a months worth of trucks were all filled way to low

go figure
essy peasy once someone competent gets involved

Is it fixed yet?
I had a service appointment scheduled for last Friday, at a dealership in the GTA. When I arrived at 9 AM, I was told by the service advisor that I’d be lucky if the car made it in before 2 or 3 in the afternoon and diagnosis potentially, wouldn’t be complete by the end of the day. Unwilling to leave my car over the weekend for diagnosis, I refused. I have another appointment scheduled for Thursday. We’ll see how it goes, I’ll provide another update then.

Picked up my C8 this morning from the dealership. Apparently, the A/C belt had come off. They put it back on and ordered a new one (back ordered item). On my way home the A/C stopped working again. It’s disappointing, bringing the C8 back in on Monday.
wow that sucks, but at list they are taking care of it

Reactions: MKinOntario
Picked up my C8 this morning from the dealership. Apparently, the A/C belt had come off. They put it back on and ordered a new one (back ordered item). On my way home the A/C stopped working again. It’s disappointing, bringing the C8 back in on Monday.
Sounds like a bent pulley. Hopefully it is just the belt!

Reactions: MKinOntario

NOT cool! ;)

Good luck with the fix and don't sweat it (too much) in the meantime. I'm sure it will get fixed...

Just a thought, not sure where you live but I would consider going to another dealership. If not one tested it after putting the belt back on, to me that's a tell tale sign of inexperience. After running my own dealerships for years, to me they would have been paid to inspect and rectify, if it was a bent pulley surely they would have witnessed that immediately upon reinstall! This is one of their most expensive units they sell. If the dealer does not know how to check a belt and pulley, I'd move on. God knows what might come next. This is not just another car or truck. I did not buy at my closest dealer for a reason , no one called me back when I emailed and called. That spoke volumes to me about how I was going to be treated. I am sure some will say it's just a belt, but, it's the beginning of a relationship hopefully for years...

Just a thought, not sure where you live but I would consider going to another dealership. If not one tested it after putting the belt back on, to me that's a tell tale sign of inexperience. After running my own dealerships for years, to me they would have been paid to inspect and rectify, if it was a bent pulley surely they would have witnessed that immediately upon reinstall! This is one of their most expensive units they sell. If the dealer does not know how to check a belt and pulley, I'd move on. God knows what might come next. This is not just another car or truck. I did not buy at my closest dealer for a reason , no one called me back when I emailed and called. That spoke volumes to me about how I was going to be treated. I am sure some will say it's just a belt, but, it's the beginning of a relationship hopefully for years...
I was thinking along the same lines. That’s why I didn’t go to my local Chevy dealer in the suburbs, about an hour outside Toronto. I brought it to high volume Corvette dealer, that should have plenty of experience. There must be a reason why the belt is coming off, I’m hoping they can figure it out on Monday.

Where are the offending belts and pulleys located, in relation to the rear of the vehicle?
Back of engine bay, front of engine bay?
Is this a user serviceable item, if you're willing to get a little bit dirty? Or are they in a hard to reach place?
Sorry, I don't have a C8 example here to examine.
Just curious.

Picked up my car on Tuesday. The dealership replaced the belt with an aftermarket one, since the original part is on back order. Thankfully, the air conditioning is now working flawlessly. Looks like a defective belt, or it was incorrectly installed at the factory. I have to return once the original GM part arrives for install.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread