Got this last couple days. Unlikely with just 29K km..... Called Sherwood in Stoon. Gonna get checked next week. Probably sensor. I'll keep you posted.

Yes this is interesting. Wonder if your active handling is wearing them with the snow conditions. 29k does seem a bit early though. I didn’t even know our brakes were monitored.
Is your car Z07?
Sorry yes I believe you have the Z07 from your posts and profile.

Researched it. Common problem for other owners not driving their cars in winter. Sensor can be damaged, unplugged, wiring compromised, or control module faulty. On warranty which is exactly why I want it to happen now. I'll let you know what they find but I just can't believe it's the pads. I'm very light on the brakes and no stop and go traffic. Not taking any chances though. I was told when I bought the car that a brake job on each corner for the carbon ceramics is $5000. I'll let them cover it....

Researched it. Common problem for other owners not driving their cars in winter. Sensor can be damaged, unplugged, wiring compromised, or control module faulty. On warranty which is exactly why I want it to happen now. I'll let you know what they find but I just can't believe it's the pads. I'm very light on the brakes and no stop and go traffic. Not taking any chances though. I was told when I bought the car that a brake job on each corner for the carbon ceramics is $5000. I'll let them cover it....

They told me $10k for all 4 corners however it’s very likely they left out some stuff to be “discovered” during the job that “really should be done”

Yes I’ll be watching this thread closely. Hope you find only a sensor issue, and if otherwise you are covered under the warranty.

Here's what it looks like. Didn't dismiss it this time. Thought I'd leave it for tech, but disappeared after car was turned off and on again. Oh well. They'll pull it up with the computer.
20190127_160316.jpg
20190127_165550.jpg

Update: I wasn't able to get down to Sherwood GM in Stoon this week........simply not enough time in the day...... Anyway, I'm going to pull the wheels on the car this weekend and have a look at the pads. From what I understand, the OEM pads on the carbon ceramic brakes wear very quickly, and a lot of people haven't been that happy with the longevity they've been getting out of them. Conversely, there have been a lot of sensor/pad issues and in fact GM issued two TSB/ERecalls in relation to this item.

If you go to www.corvetteactioncenter.com and click on "brakes" you will find the two:

1. 2016-2017 Corvette Service Bulletin #17267: Service Update - Brake Wear Indicator Not Functioning Properly
2. 2015-2017 Corvette Service Bulletin: #PIC6061B: Change Brake Pads - Message Displayed in DIC

I'm going to check the pads and sensors/connections and see what's happening. If the pads are genuinely worn out, which it sounds like they might be, I'll replace them as necessary. The following are the ACDelco part numbers for the Original Equipment Front and Rear Disc Brake Pad Kits with sensors you can pull these up on Amazon.ca:

1. Front = ACDelco 171-1186
2. Rear = ACDelco 171-1143

If the pads and sensors are in tack, I'll squirt a little contact cleaner in the connectors and see what happens. If I get the message again, then it's down to Sherwood and I'll have them execute the Service Bulletins/replace sensors/pads on warranty.

Now it's time to sit down guys.................... I don't know how many of you have actually checked this out, but this is the cost of phenomenal braking: if the pads are actually worn out, which they may be, the front kit costs $651.94 and the rear kit costs $974.99!!!!! So, I'm hoping I've still got some meat on my pads, because that's $1626.93 total..................ouch.............just for pads/sensors!!!!!

I did a little YouTube research, and replacing the pads is as simple as any other vehicle, so if you're handy.........which fortunately I am......you'll get away with under $2000. If you're not, you can expect about $2000 for the dealership to do it...............ouch again.......

I'll keep you posted.....................

Last edited:
Update: I wasn't able to get down to Sherwood GM in Stoon this week........simply not enough time in the day...... Anyway, I'm going to pull the wheels on the car this weekend and have a look at the pads. From what I understand, the OEM pads on the carbon ceramic brakes wear very quickly, and a lot of people haven't been that happy with the longevity they've been getting out of them. Conversely, there have been a lot of sensor/pad issues and in fact GM issued two TSB/ERecalls in relation to this item.

If you go to www.corvetteactioncenter.com and click on "brakes" you will find the two:

1. 2016-2017 Corvette Service Bulletin #17267: Service Update - Brake Wear Indicator Not Functioning Properly
2. 2015-2017 Corvette Service Bulletin: #PIC6061B: Change Brake Pads - Message Displayed in DIC

I'm going to check the pads and sensors/connections and see what's happening. If the pads are genuinely worn out, which it sounds like they might be, I'll replace them as necessary. The following are the ACDelco part numbers for the Original Equipment Front and Rear Disc Brake Pad Kits with sensors you can pull these up on Amazon.ca:

1. Front = ACDelco 171-1186
2. Rear = ACDelco 171-1143

If the pads and sensors are in tack, I'll squirt a little contact cleaner in the connectors and see what happens. If I get the message again, then it's down to Sherwood and I'll have them execute the Service Bulletins/replace sensors/pads on warranty.

Now it's time to sit down guys.................... I don't know how many of you have actually checked this out, but this is the cost of phenomenal braking: if the pads are actually worn out, which they may be, the front kit costs $651.94 and the rear kit costs $974.99!!!!! So, I'm hoping I've still got some meat on my pads, because that's $1626.93 total..................ouch.............just for pads/sensors!!!!!

I did a little YouTube research, and replacing the pads is as simple as any other vehicle, so if you're handy.........which fortunately I am......you'll get away with under $2000. If you're not, you can expect about $2000 for the dealership to do it...............ouch again.......

I'll keep you posted.....................

Wow
This is the first time I’ve seen any real world information on the actual costs for this in Canada.
I have the same brakes as you and agree on how phenomenal they actually perform. I’ve used them on the track as well and they are really great there. I wasn’t aware they deplete any faster than the standard brakes but thinking about it... ya kind of makes sense.
But all this comes at a fairly steep cost.
I’m sitting at 7300 km on the odometer and beyond the xxx kph - 0 burnishing stop haven’t used them for anything but routine driving.
Didn’t know about the service bulletins either.
This is really good information for the Z07 owners and I appreciate you sharing it.
Look forward to your next update.

D

Reactions: ccltj and flyboy999
No problem. As we were discussing earlier, I knew brakes on this car would be expensive, but I thought it was only if I was foolish enough to damage the rotors, and I also thought that I wouldn't have to address the issue for many more thousands of kilometers......... Of the 30K km I've done, none of it is track time, and I'd say about 80% of it is hwy driving (Vancouver to Cali, Vancouver to SK, Stoon, Edmonton etc.) I'm really light on the brakes, which of course you can be in this car with the amount of stopping power they provide. BTW I cross shopped the pad kits on Amazon.com, just to see if there was an advantage to bringing them up from the U.S......nope. After you do the exchange, they are pretty much the same. Then you have to deal with delay and duty so it's a wash. I'm not going to even bother checking NAPA which is right next door to my office.........they are brutal there....... I might query the local GM dealership, but honestly I think the only thing you could save on there is shipping, and I have Amazon Prime, so it's actually more convenient for them to come right to my door............... I'm dying to pull the wheels..........maybe tonight after work if I'm feeling motivated :)

Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
Update: pulled wheels and checked pads. Tons of pad left. Not even close to worn down to the sensor. Maybe 10-15% worn. Not sure..... Made appointment for 11am on Monday to have them run the TSBs and check the system.

That’s good news for us all with CC brakes. Impressive wear rate.
Hopefully your trouble is a simple warranty covered sensor issue. 👍

Reactions: ccltj and flyboy999
That really gave me a chuckle this morning. Now I don’t drive my car in the winter for my own reasons. But that’s hilarious that the dealership suggested you wait for summer to drive the car. So maybe it was just an ice build up. No big deal. GM should be paying you for the winter long term real world product testing. Likely a 1st for this issue or it would have come up in the bulletins as a result of GMs winter driving testing.
I was imagining the look on your face when you read that with the service advisor. 😂
Interestingly enough there was nothing else coded or wrong after 2 winter seasons on the car. Pretty impressive for a “delicate” sports car huh.
I think you’re good to go Flyboy.
Thank for the update and I’m glad it is nothing to be concerned with. 👍

Thanx guys. Actually, the service adviser told me that the tech didn't mean wait to drive the car till summer, but rather, wait to come back if it comes on again until summer and see if it happens then. In other words, just write it off as a glitch and don't bother driving all the way down there to have them say the same thing again. I'm really glad the pads are in good shape as well, that could be costly. I think the problem is related to the extreme cold we've been having. -39C this morning....... Our garage is "semi-heated" with some rigging I've done by ducting the hot air off of each of our two furnaces into the garage, as well as venting the dryer heat exhaust into the garage. It usually sits at about +5C no matter what is going on outside. But lately, the garage has been below zero, and the car can't thaw out over night. Usually I see puddles of water on the floor in the morning and ice chunks that have fallen off the car, but not anymore. The same snow and ice that was on the car from the day before is still there. I'm wondering if this has had an effect on the brakes? It didn't happen all last winter, and nothing this winter so far, but it hasn't been that cold......... The indication hasn't come on for about 5 days now, with me driving the car every day, so I figure it was just a glitch in the system, and I'll carry on. I'll keep you posted with my long term testing results.......LOL :D:D

PS: I'm going to throw on the space heater and fire up the dryer when I get home and warm it up to a toasty +10C for a good 3-4 hours and give her a bit of a break. She deserves it!!! Just an amazing car!!!!

Hey there, I also had this message come up on my 2015 z06 with carbon ceramic brakes. It comes up approximately once every 10 to 20 drives.

Currently 12000km, have tracked it.

I brought the car to the dealership they checked it out and said I got at least 60% pad pad left and after running diagnostics it seems like a "ghost message" he said until it becomes a "hard on" dont need to worry about it.

Reactions: hemicat
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.