When building ur dream C8 online GM gives you all different options to choose, except one important one, upgrading the braking system! For anyone who does a lot of tracking i would say this would stand out like a sore thumb. I understand their reasoning behind not putting better braking system on the car as this would raise the price which they were trying to stay low but they should have given us the option (for more $$$ of course) to upgrade the system. For the everyday user it will work just fine I'm sure but for those who are more performance orientated , the option would of been nice. The rotors especially do not suit the car whatsoever. Take a look at any real performance car and you will see either drilled, slotted and coated rotors. The C7 Grand Sport for example comes with a much nicer breaking system which I think should be on the C8. I have driven high performance motorcycles all my life and I can tell you that without the strong braking system on them you would not last long. Do you think when the ZO6 comes out it will have the same brakes as the C8 that is out now ? Not a chance . Remember, you can only drive as hard as your brakes will allow you. For cosmetic reasons alone I will have to change out the rotors at least. We spend thousands of dollars buying nicer rims for the car and nothing for the more important brakes that sit behind them. Imagine seeing a Ferrari with those rotors on it, people would say too bad he cheaped out on the brakes. Sorry for rambling on but everytime i look at this beautiful piece of art those lame rotors stick out and I know I will have to go through the hassle of changing them out when it could have been easily avoided if they had just given us the option to upgrade. I just had to get this off my chest, lol Have a great day everyone and stay safe !!!

Even the base braking system on a Corvette is head and shoulders above 99% of the vehicles on the road today. I do agree if you're tracking then you want the best brakes money can buy, but for spirited street driving, you will be surprised how good the brakes are. But yes... the drilled or slotted do cool down faster and look better. This is based on C6 and C7 ownership. Have no idea yet about the C8 but can't fathom that they would downgrade. JMO

Reactions: Sparro
There are certainly better brake options and choices to make. I had the opportunity to drive a 2017 grand sport with the Z07 brakes and they were magnificent. Until you look at the cost to replace those carbon brakes at well over the cost of a small sedan. So while I'd love brakes that scream crazy, I'd hope people would be looking at the car for its lines and beauty and not judging what I have by the rotors I carry

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
I haven't had the car on the track yet, but a bunch of other Youtubers have reported fair results with the stock Z51 setup. The whole system is made by Brembo and is a 4 piston monoblock upfront. If someone is looking for more stopping power, then upgrading to a 6 piston will get you there, but will likely run you about $5K for the fronts alone. If anyone wants more bling, a giant 6 piston will get you way more looks than slotted rotors. But it's too rich for my blood!

The guys that actually track their C8s will surely purchase your stock rotors from you. If you knew brakes you'd know there is nothing more practical for track use than a blank rotor. Unless you are spending very large coin, your cosmetic rotor upgrade is going to be a downgrade in performance.

Reactions: JVi
Rotors have not only a tendency to build heat but they produce gas when they heat. Groves allow the gas to release and greater braking efficiency and holes (drilled) allows the rotors to cool evenly and quickly so they don't glow and warp or boil the brake fluid and render the system useless,

The science -

Slotted Rotors​

Slotted Brake Rotors​

Slotted rotors, as the name implies, have grooves cut along the face of the rotor where the pad makes contact. This is because under repeated heavy braking, as the temperature of your brake system increases, a layer of gas and dust forms between the pad and rotor from the material transfer caused by friction. The slots in the rotor allow an escape route for the built-up gases. This allows more of the brake pad’s surface area to contact the rotor, resulting in better pad bite and more consistent stops. Also, this increased surface contact results in a higher coefficient of friction, so you’re actually using less energy to slow your vehicle the same amount. The venting provided by slotted rotors is one of the main ways to combat brake fade and maintain consistent stopping power, lap after lap. Be aware, however, that some dedicated slotted “racing” rotors actually employ a sharp edge on the slots to cut into the brake pad a small amount for better bite, but this can greatly accelerate brake wear

I'm no engineer, but I always found it odd that a spinning disc under a stationary brake pad could possibly hold a relatively sizable amount of gas. Seems to me the difference would make enough of a difference over the course of many miles in a race I guess, but I see no need for them on a street car. For one, pads must wear faster given a subtle edge the pads have to traverse. <shrug> Ya, they look cool, but necessary?

Reactions: TCinthe6
I've been researching brakes for my C7 for a couple of years now. I'm going to go with AP Stillen crossed drilled and slotted rotors along with their light weight calipers, 6 piston in front and four piston in rear. The price is high, but this is my go to brakes for the car. Girodisc makes awesome rotors for the C8. There are some articles stating that flat faced rotors offer better braking then slotted and/or crossed drilled. If that is true, why does Porsche, Ferrari and most race cars have slotted and/or crossed drilled rotors? IMHO a lighter, larger rotor with better bite and more contact on the pads equals better braking. Also, the tires are responsible for quicker stopping power. Stickier tires, thus a shorter stopping distance. I think the brake and tire combinations are important factors when considering stopping distance. Longevity on the rotors and pads for track vs. street should also be a consideration, as each has different demands.

There are some articles stating that flat faced rotors offer better braking then slotted and/or crossed drilled. If that is true, why does Porsche, Ferrari and most race cars have slotted and/or crossed drilled rotors?
I can't argue brake dynamics, but they look better and are likely expected on high priced cars.
As for race cars, they look for any advantage they can get. Perhaps the slightly better cooling makes more difference than slightly better braking. Race teams look for any advantage they can get regardless of how little effect there is.

Granted people wish to sell their products but there is a lot of convincing done when race teams, motorcycles, and performance cars are using similar looking products,

This is a good read

There are certainly better brake options and choices to make. I had the opportunity to drive a 2017 grand sport with the Z07 brakes and they were magnificent. Until you look at the cost to replace those carbon brakes at well over the cost of a small sedan. So while I'd love brakes that scream crazy, I'd hope people would be looking at the car for its lines and beauty and not judging what I have by the rotors I carry
Hey I like that it’s got a rhyme to it 😍

Reactions: Crzynot2
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.