Jan 30, 2017
ingersoll ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2017 corvette 3LT
Hey guys I noticed for the first time at about 4500 KM the excessive brake dust and had the dealer take it all apart and measure the pads and rotors and they said everything is fine. Now at 7500 KM I have a little squeal at the last few inches when I'm just about stopped and just got the car back yesterday and they say they used a copper based lube and that it's normal to have that little squeal.....Which I have never had from day one except when I make the tires squeal!!!! Any Ideas or same issues with anyone else?

This summer I changed to the NAPA Premium ceramic pads. Great bite, almost no dust and the dust I get is white! The old pads did squeal at times but since replacing I have not had the problem.

I changed to Carbotech 1521 pads (2015 z51 M7) and almost no dust. The squealing I can't help you with. Maybe when the brakes are cold???
Tyho - Carbotech 1521 - CT1001 (front) and CT1718 (rear)? I live in Peterborough, do you recall where you purchased your pads from?

Brake Dust was thoroughly discussed (and maybe a bit excessively) at the Ron Fellows Corvette Owners' Experience that I attended; following the question being raised and re-raised again during the at-vehicle orientation. One thing that was not disputed was when a few mentioned how relieved they were once they got through their factory pads and "finally" into a better pad.
It was explained by them that at Ron Fellows, cars are track-prepped on arrival and it includes the removal of the factory pads. It was then later mentioned that the factory pads were reinstalled when each Corvette "exhausts" their stay and are sent along for resale/auction (as they want them resold close to the off-assembly line spec).
So for now, you have your dealer service inquiry notes (make sure it's in writing & not just a verbal thing only) that you can keep just in case of something unanticipated. Wear through this set of pads and then you have the pleasure of determining the replacement pad that you will choose. This is the position that I have taken and am at 16000km so far. When time comes, these fellas on the forum will be my resource when it comes time for me to pick a manufacturer & spec and then shop brake pads for my 3LT Z51. Ron Fellows recommends Hawk and I noticed they may be saying that as Hawk is one of their supporting sponsors. I will add that into my decision closer to the time I need replacements.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12cents
I have the same problem as you i believe. I have a 2015 Z51. Breaks started squealing at a high pitch like what you hear from buses and delivery trucks. Mostly happens when brakes applied lightly.Not happy at all. Dealer can’t seem to solve issue. Tried the brake burnishing procedure many times.GM has nothing to say except its normal. Looks like nothing will ever get done about it. So after 50000kms. New rotors on order and new pads G-loc to be installed. Hoping for a new start.

I just installed the Powerstop Z23 pads front and back in my car. I put on chrome wheels and do not want to have to clean them every time I go for a ride. I got mine from amazon.ca

Amazon product

Amazon product

I use them on my Challenger and they work great on there so I am confident that it will do the same for the Z06. I used my oem clips because they seemed to fit better (just cleaned them up first).

The Z07 carbon ceramics are great. No dust. My 1st 2 Zs were a horror for brake dust. Never kept either of them long enough to need new pads.
Nice to know there are pads out there that eliminates the problem.
Last I heard my brake job will be costing in the 10K range. Although the brakes are phenomenal, I’m liking you guys solution a lot. 😂

Brake dust is annoying but the squeal drives me nuts!!! To what I have read the squeal is a Brembo issue that they have not found a fix for. The only way to solve this permanently is to replace the pads to something else like maybe Carbontech. That's rather expensive. Now I read a post on how to temporarily get rid of the squeal. I laughed and shook my head when I read it but tried it and it worked!!! If you turn the hose on and blast the rotor and pads with water for a couple minutes a wheel this will eliminate the brake squeal for a couple hundred miles or so. Temporary fix until it's time to change the pads.

The Z07 carbon ceramics are great. No dust. My 1st 2 Zs were a horror for brake dust. Never kept either of them long enough to need new pads.
Nice to know there are pads out there that eliminates the problem.
Last I heard my brake job will be costing in the 10K range. Although the brakes are phenomenal, I’m liking you guys solution a lot. 😂

Why you figure 10K Derek??? Rotors and all should be ok. Maybe a grand for pads front and rear but that should be it!!! You are scaring me!!! :confused::confused::Lurk5:

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
Why you figure 10K Derek??? Rotors and all should be ok. Maybe a grand for pads front and rear but that should be it!!! You are scaring me!!! :confused::confused::Lurk5:

You may be in for a shock.
Here is a dealership quote for new rotors, pads and tires. USD

This was a couple years ago and I understand prices have fallen considerably as there are now aftermarket options available. Your rotors should be good for at least 4 sets of pads provided you don’t run them down too thin.
I don’t know how good the aftermarket stuff is.
It’s unlikely you will need to worry about new brakes for many years unless you’re on the track a lot. 👍

Edit: As a side note in my research on this a while back I read to watch the rears closely as if you’re driving the car hard routinely with the nannies on the rears will wear quicker than the fronts. Unlike some or those fools on YouTube who shut everything off. These guys have plenty of brakes left, but wear out fenders, doors and front clips at a fast pace.
If you’re doing burnouts with your brakes on...same deal.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: drvette and hemicat
You may be in for a shock.
Here is a dealership quote for new rotors, pads and tires. USD
View attachment 29341

This was a couple years ago and I understand prices have fallen considerably as there are now aftermarket options available. Your rotors should be good for at least 4 sets of pads provided you don’t run them down too thin.
I don’t know how good the aftermarket stuff is.
It’s unlikely you will need to worry about new brakes for many years unless you’re on the track a lot. 👍

Edit: As a side note in my research on this a while back I read to watch the rears closely as if you’re driving the car hard routinely with the nannies on the rears will wear quicker than the fronts. Unlike some or those fools on YouTube who shut everything off. These guys have plenty of brakes left, but wear out fenders, doors and front clips at a fast pace.
If you’re doing burnouts with your brakes on...same deal.

Thanks Derek, it's no wonder I drink!!! :bathitshead::blowcelebrate: But then again, by the time I'm in need of rotors this car or I will be long gone!!!

• Agree
The Carbotech 1521 pads for my 2019 Z51 that I noted earlier in this post cost me $390 USD delivered to my door. VERY easy to install, pop out two pins with a punch, swap the pads, reinstall the pins. Had a light squeal for the first 24 hours which went away and has never returned, suspect a light glazing on the pads from manufacturing that quickly burned off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.