Tim C.

Regular
You're 5
Aug 22, 2015
Ottawa
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2006 Coupe
I am looking at these 2 axleback systems for my 06 vette. I want 0 DRONE..They both seem to offer this. Has anyone had system installed ..any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks so much

I did a lot of research when looking for my exhaust and both of those should have no drone. I've driven an 2005 Coupe with a Corsa Sport axle back and it had no drone. I also have a friend who had a 2005 with a Corsa Xtreme, Corsa X pipe, high flow cats, LG long tube headers, and it had no drone. Borla and Corsa have pretty good audio clips on their websites, so that will give you an impression of sound. The Corsa is known for being higher pitched.

I did a lot of research when looking for my exhaust and both of those should have no drone. I've driven an 2005 Coupe with a Corsa Sport axle back and it had no drone. I also have a friend who had a 2005 with a Corsa Xtreme, Corsa X pipe, high flow cats, LG long tube headers, and it had no drone. Borla and Corsa have pretty good audio clips on their websites, so that will give you an impression of sound. The Corsa is known for being higher pitched.
No drone..do you mean the Corsa was quiet inside the cabin

It wasn't quiet in the cabin, there was exhaust sound which was louder than stock, but there was nothing that I would consider to be drone while cruising at city or highway speed in the 1500-2500 RPM "drone range," when you rolled into the throttle while in that range, or even lugged the engine. The problem with the definition of drone is it's relative, and what one person may consider drone, another person would consider exhaust sound, so becomes a futile endeavour without defining it. I consider drone to be at a resonance frequency which is uncomfortable, and makes it hard to or blocks out conversation and the stereo, which is what I think most exhaust manufacturers are referring to when they say drone.

Something else to consider, many axle back exhausts will gurgle and pop on the down rev, more so with the stock mid H pipe than if you change it out for an X pipe, so you'll want to consider whether you like this. The Hooker Blackheart system I recently installed claimed to have no drone, and I would say they are right based on that definition once it's broken in. It's a deeper tone than the Corsa Sport and it gurgles and pops but it doesn't pop as much as the Corsa I test drove.

It wasn't quiet in the cabin, there was exhaust sound which was louder than stock, but there was nothing that I would consider to be drone while cruising at city or highway speed in the 1500-2500 RPM "drone range," when you rolled into the throttle while in that range, or even lugged the engine. The problem with the definition of drone is it's relative, and what one person may consider drone, another person would consider exhaust sound, so becomes a futile endeavour without defining it. I consider drone to be at a resonance frequency which is uncomfortable, and makes it hard to or blocks out conversation and the stereo, which is what I think most exhaust manufacturers are referring to when they say drone.

Something else to consider, many axle back exhausts will gurgle and pop on the down rev, more so with the stock mid H pipe than if you change it out for an X pipe, so you'll want to consider whether you like this. The Hooker Blackheart system I recently installed claimed to have no drone, and I would say they are right based on that definition once it's broken in. It's a deeper tone than the Corsa Sport and it gurgles and pops but it doesn't pop as much as the Corsa I test drove.
Thanks so much for the info

Reactions: Creedence85
I am looking at these 2 axleback systems for my 06 vette. I want 0 DRONE..They both seem to offer this. Has anyone had system installed ..any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks so much

I had the Corsa Sport axlebacks on my C6 a few years back. Same part number. No drone. My wife never knew the exhaust had been changed until I had to hurry up and pass a car.... and yes. We're talking about cabin drone as outside, most of the bystanders you cruise by will hear it and watch you go by... Seriously though, I'm not familiar with any others... other than the NPP on my C7, but if drone is your main concern, you won't go wrong with Corsa. They bark at all the right moments and only the right moments. Good luck with whatever you finally decide on Tim.

Reactions: ddgermann

Drone for me is defined as cannot hear yourself when I installed Magnaflow on my C5....had to put 2 resonators. Drone is defined as my wife saying I cannot hear the radio and what is that humming dreadful noise in the cabin. I can take extra noise out of the exhaust which is at the back of the vette

Drone is all in the 'ear of the beholder' and my experience with the Corsa is not as 'drone free' as other posters. I inherited the standard Corsa axle back system from the PO of my 2010 MT base which was too much for my wife and frankly a bit much for for me in the 1400 - 1700 rpm range. I added the 2 chubby Corsa resonators to convert it to the Touring version.
Much better, especially with the Block It mat in the back [it's a coupe] but my wife's fingers still go to her ears going up a hill at 1500 rpm. I've learned to downshift ahead of time which avoids the problem. If you live where it's flat and don't have a wife with tinnitis you'll probably never notice it. Not really noticeable at speeds above 80kmh. Love the sound at WOT and the deceleration gurgle.

Reactions: ddgermann
Drone for me is defined as cannot hear yourself when I installed Magnaflow on my C5....had to put 2 resonators. Drone is defined as my wife saying I cannot hear the radio and what is that humming dreadful noise in the cabin. I can take extra noise out of the exhaust which is at the back of the vette
Based on that definition, I don't think you'd experience drone with the Corsa Sport or the Borla S Type II. I was looking seriously at the Corsa Sport, but it would have been almost double the cost of the Hooker Blackheart, and my Scottish ancestral tendencies preferred that money in my pockets or in other mods. Magnaflows without resonators must have been horrible.

Choose Corsa if you do many hours of driving per day for long drive lengths, especially “interstate” driving where you are running hour after hour between 1,600 and 1,800 RPM, for if the latter you will be unhappy with Borla. Choose Borla if you like your exhaust a little louder and do consistently do your driving in less than 3 hour sessions.

Based on that definition, I don't think you'd experience drone with the Corsa Sport or the Borla S Type II. I was looking seriously at the Corsa Sport, but it would have been almost double the cost of the Hooker Blackheart, and my Scottish ancestral tendencies preferred that money in my pockets or in other mods. Magnaflows without resonators must have been horrible.
Corsa Sport i think...Thank you

I don't know if this will help you much or not, but here you go. This is Tinman's C6 LS3 with longtubes and Corsa Sport axleback exhaust. The car is idling at the start of the video, and it is so quiet that you can't even hear it. Even cruising it is like that. Super quiet. Open up the throttle, and it starts making some noise. Note that at the end of the video it upshifts, and all sound goes away again. Quiet when you want it to be, noisy when you want it to be. In my opinion, it is the best exhaust choice. I have Corsa Extremes with ARH 1-7/8 longtubes and no cats, and it is way bad-ass loud. Too loud. I think the Sports are better. That's my two cents.

I don't know if this will help you much or not, but here you go. This is Tinman's C6 LS3 with longtubes and Corsa Sport axleback exhaust. The car is idling at the start of the video, and it is so quiet that you can't even hear it. Even cruising it is like that. Super quiet. Open up the throttle, and it starts making some noise. Note that at the end of the video it upshifts, and all sound goes away again. Quiet when you want it to be, noisy when you want it to be. In my opinion, it is the best exhaust choice. I have Corsa Extremes with ARH 1-7/8 longtubes and no cats, and it is way bad-ass loud. Too loud. I think the Sports are better. That's my two cents.

Thanks so much for your insite

Choose Corsa if you do many hours of driving per day for long drive lengths, especially “interstate” driving where you are running hour after hour between 1,600 and 1,800 RPM, for if the latter you will be unhappy with Borla. Choose Borla if you like your exhaust a little louder and do consistently do your driving in less than 3 hour sessions.
I drive every day but 30 min at a time. So you recommend Borla for this type of driving?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.