CG113

I'm New Here
Apr 25, 2017
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
1979 Corvette
Hi. I have a 79 that has recently developed a crack in the rockers on each side of the car. The most recent one occurred right after I ran over a pavement joint. I heard a snap sound and it had a crack when I opened the door. The car has been repainted around 16 years ago, great paint, suspect body/prep work. I'm curious if anyone has had this issue and what was the repair. And, what else should I watch for or
do going forward so this doesn't happen again? Thanks. IMG_1015.JPG

Reactions: Paul C
oh wow, I'm no expert in that part as never seen one crack, but my guess the body is flexing too much so maybe there is a problem in the body mounts or possibly cracked frame someplace that cause the flex under stress movement.

I agree with XFIRE82. My body was "fixed" there before I bought the car. I found out that both the dog legs in the frame were cracked 1/2" way through. The body was taking the load instead of the frame. I would do some digging to see if there is a frame issue or if this was just a fluke from hitting a bump.

Good luck. Hope it isn't a frame issue.

T

I agree with XFIRE82. My body was "fixed" there before I bought the car. I found out that both the dog legs in the frame were cracked 1/2" way through. The body was taking the load instead of the frame. I would do some digging to see if there is a frame issue or if this was just a fluke from hitting a bump.

Good luck. Hope it isn't a frame issue.

T
I was afraid it would be that type of problem. Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.