Power User
Oct 8, 2016
West Vancouver, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2022 C8 Z51 3LT HTC
Province
BC
It was close to that in October and November - 10% of the MSRP discount. Obz the amount varies from vehicle to vehicle. That has since ended and it is now a $7,000 cash credit. Keep in mind, Corvettes are "cheaper" in Canada than the USA - the price difference is less than the exchange rate.

It was close to that in October and November - 10% of the MSRP discount. Obz the amount varies from vehicle to vehicle. That has since ended and it is now a $7,000 cash credit. Keep in mind, Corvettes are "cheaper" in Canada than the USA - the price difference is less than the exchange rate.
Yeah, but, I live in Canada. Just checked Dueck's has a $7,000.00 discount on 2019s. 2016 coupe (mine a vert) with 24K Km vs mine with 12.8K km asking over $65K???

Yeah, but, I live in Canada. Just checked Dueck's has a $7,000.00 discount on 2019s. 2016 coupe (mine a vert) with 24K Km vs mine with 12.8K km asking over $65K???

Yeah. The C7's have been holding their value extremely well - subject to change when the C8 hits the used market. The only reason to buy used right now is if you find a stupid-good deal, or if you cannot find what you're looking for in a new unit.

Yeah. The C7's have been holding their value extremely well - subject to change when the C8 hits the used market. The only reason to buy used right now is if you find a stupid-good deal, or if you cannot find what you're looking for in a new unit.
My car is mint - not a mark on it and the sharkskin grey metallic looks awesome with the red brake calipers and black rockers and spoiler - so, I think it would sell pretty quickly? 2016 was the only year for this exterior color. I wish they had it for the 2020 C8??

My car is mint - not a mark on it and the sharkskin grey metallic looks awesome with the red brake calipers and black rockers and spoiler - so, I think it would sell pretty quickly? 2016 was the only year for this exterior color. I wish they had it for the 2020 C8??
Curious,
Is your C8 purchase tied to them getting that awesome 2016 beauty of yours?
That Shark Skin Grey sure is eye-catching.
If not, perhaps trying to sell it personally and keep the dealership paws off of it.
Your Corvette shows excellently when I saw it at West Fest.
This would make for an awesome private acquisition for anyone wanting the engine in the right place.
(then your trade-in anxiety will go away while you wait C8 delivery)

Not sure this is the case in Canada - did not check. Scares me a little bit because: does this mean I will get a crappy trade-in value on my low mileage C7 vert?? No C8 if I am going to get _______ (fill in the blank)

some pretty sweet discounts here in AB for all the C7's (14) my dealer has in stock. $14 to $15 k off MSRP across the board from base through GS through Z06's. All automatics though so no collectible manual transmission incentive...lol...

some pretty sweet discounts here in AB for all the C7's (14) my dealer has in stock. $14 to $15 k off MSRP across the board from base through GS through Z06's. All automatics though so no collectible manual transmission incentive...lol...

The dealers in AB are struggling to sell off their Corvette inventory. A few have come over to Ontario because we were almost sold out!

Ya ... here in AB ... the major "Corvette selling struggle" is called Winter (lol).
Yes the AB economy is a parallel influence too.
Funny how these discounts happen every year at this time ... heh?
Whether discounted here, Ontario or USA, I see no difference.
Most likely the best C7's for a Dealer to want on their lots when the C8
arrives, are used ones. So the discounts are even deeper now.
My take on it ...

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Curious,
Is your C8 purchase tied to them getting that awesome 2016 beauty of yours?
That Shark Skin Grey sure is eye-catching.
If not, perhaps trying to sell it personally and keep the dealership paws off of it.
Your Corvette shows excellently when I saw it at West Fest.
This would make for an awesome private acquisition for anyone wanting the engine in the right place.
(then your trade-in anxiety will go away while you wait C8 delivery)
Problem: 15% tax here - so, better to trade-in if price is fair? Take care - hope we meet again??

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
Problem: 15% tax here - so, better to trade-in if price is fair? Take care - hope we meet again??
Hard to argue with that high tax save percentage. Its a math equation here with only 5% to know if we are doing better when selling privately - versus the hassle and anxiety involved when running a used car lot on the driveway. My last 7 of 8 have all been trade-ins. 👍🏻👍🏻

Hard to argue with that high tax save percentage. Its a math equation here with only 5% to know if we are doing better when selling privately - versus the hassle and anxiety involved when running a used car lot on the driveway. My last 7 of 8 have all been trade-ins. 👍🏻👍🏻
Crazy the tax we pay here. It is over 15% and as high as 25% , I believe depending on the price of the auto. That's what happens when people elect communists to run the province. Surprised AB was unscathed when you had your far left party in power - LOL? They did increase some corporate taxes and made it harder for the O & G industry, did they not?:Cheers2:

Crazy the tax we pay here. It is over 15% and as high as 25% , I believe depending on the price of the auto. That's what happens when people elect communists to run the province. Surprised AB was unscathed when you had your far left party in power - LOL? They did increase some corporate taxes and made it harder for the O & G industry, did they not?:Cheers2:
at the risk of a temporary thread derail ...
Depending on how one works & lives the Economy has affected Albertans differently. I'm not going to start a debate with it though.
The past 4 years under NDP affected us each at different time duration. For some it was immediate. For others it was slowly over 4 years.
For myself, it kicked in and bit hard as soon as the newly elected UPC Government transitioned (as it just took longer) (and some things must change).
My Incorporated Company serves the entire Economy Base ... of which now the Public Service Industry is being challenged. This added to the others
has amounted to a near complete shutdown for me. It will revert back for me as soon as the Sun rises on any of the Fronts again ... and it will.
Just don't know when ... I have toughed it out many times under PC and I will also do it under UPC - it has my confidence for my livelihood in Alberta.
In the meantime, I have a Corvette to enjoy while the first day of retirement remains much further away.
I'm not as worried about paying some taxes as much as I am about actually having income that creates the catch-22 to pay taxes. (it's a twist on it all - but that's me)

Now ... back to the regular thread topic program ...
I do see the math in the elevated sales taxes in BC for deciding on
a trade-in versus selling a vehicle privately when the New C8 Purchase is inevitable.

Last edited:
at the risk of a temporary thread derail ...
Depending on how one works & lives the Economy has affected Albertans differently. I'm not going to start a debate with it though.
The past 4 years under NDP affected us each at different time duration. For some it was immediate. For others it was slowly over 4 years.
For myself, it kicked in and bit hard as soon as the newly elected UPC Government transitioned (as it just took longer) (and some things must change).
My Incorporated Company serves the entire Economy Base ... of which now the Public Service Industry is being challenged. This added to the others
has amounted to a near complete shutdown for me. It will revert back for me as soon as the Sun rises on any of the Fronts again ... and it will.
Just don't know when ... I have toughed it out many times under PC and I will also do it under UPC - it has my confidence in Alberta for my livelihood.
In the meantime, I have a Corvette to enjoy but the first day of retirement is much further away.
I'm not as worried about paying some taxes as much as I am about actually having employment and being able to pay taxes. (it's a twist on it all - but that's me)

Back to the regular thread topic program ... I do see the math in the elevated sales taxes in BC for deciding on a trade-in versus selling a vehicle privately
when the New C8 Purchase is inevitable.
Hey, I hope things turn around quick for you. Governments can screw things up overnight big time.

• Agree
Hey, I hope things turn around quick for you. Governments can screw things up overnight big time.
Thank you. The way I see it is ...
Government can make it much better overnight as well. It takes much stronger Leadership!
It's when personal politics (and underlying agenda) in our leader(s) conflicts with democracy.
It stresses me to wonder why Canadian-mindset cannot allow one another to prosper.
It's like one part of the Country can only succeed if the others fail.
United we stand .... something like with CCF Corvette Brotherhood (Peoplehood) YYSSW you get the point ...

Reactions: JCWP
... does this mean I will get a crappy trade-in value on my low mileage C7 vert??

I would say that's a fair assumption.

If there's heavy discounts on "left over" models, people tend to look there first before looking at "used". All this makes it harder for dealers to move used models, which means they are less inclined to give you top dollar for them. Not that "trade ins" ever get top dollar from a dealer....and if you do, that usually means they are making decent profit off your new car purchase where it covers the loss in trade in. When I'm looking at new cars, I negotiate price and then tell them about the trade in. If the trade in doesn't get what I want, I walk. Pisses some dealers offwhen you negotiate that way, some understand that's just the way the game is played. Most like knowing up front that you're doing a trade in so they can "spin the numbers" to their advantage. I don't play that game. The value of my trade has little to nothing to do with the purchase price or their bottom line. Again, if they don't like that, I walk. It's personal, it's just business.

:happy:

Plus, around here, most dealers will send vehicles 4-5 years old to auctions rather than sell them themselves. They don't want vehicles sitting around as tied up inventory/cash and used cars that don't look new tend to hang around a lot.

If it's their intention to auction house it, you usually get even less on trade. At 3 years old though, you might be ok on that one.

Yes, I've worked at a dealer in the past. But it was a fairly long time ago and one thing car dealers are good at, is finding ways to profit off thier customers.That is their job after all.....;)

Last edited:
I would say that's a fair assumption.

If there's heavy discounts on "left over" models, people tend to look there first before looking at "used". All this makes it harder for dealers to move used models, which means they are less inclined to give you top dollar for them. Not that "trade ins" ever get top dollar from a dealer....and if you do, that usually means they are making decent profit off your new car purchase where it covers the loss in trade in. When I'm looking at new cars, I negotiate price and then tell them about the trade in. If the trade in doesn't get what I want, I walk. Pisses some dealers offwhen you negotiate that way, some understand that's just the way the game is played. Most like knowing up front that you're doing a trade in so they can "spin the numbers" to their advantage. I don't play that game. The value of my trade has little to nothing to do with the purchase price or their bottom line. Again, if they don't like that, I walk. It's personal, it's just business.

:happy:

Plus, around here, most dealers will send vehicles 4-5 years old to auctions rather than sell them themselves. They don't want vehicles sitting around as tied up inventory/cash and used cars that don't look new tend to hang around a lot.

If it's their intention to auction house it, you usually get even less on trade. At 3 years old though, you might be ok on that one.

Yes, I've worked at a dealer in the past. But it was a fairly long time ago and one thing car dealers are good at, is finding ways to profit off thier customers.That is their job after all.....;)
Makes sense; but, I think my car should do ok - very low mileage - like new - we shall see. At the end of the day, I have an awesome car; so, no big deal??

Makes sense; but, I think my car should do ok - very low mileage - like new - we shall see. At the end of the day, I have an awesome car; so, no big deal??
Hard to say. Only way to know is to find out what your dealer is going to give you.

It's all just "speculation" up to that point.

I do know that when I worked at a dealer, the time of year would also effect the trade in price. For example: Late fall/winter? sports cars got less on trade (if they took them at all).

I would suspect that the industry looks at pickups and SUV's as the higher trade in value cars. They my not command the outright sale price a C7 might, but they are popular and they tend to move off the lot, fast. The money these days seems to be in moving volume, not high price/low production "halo" vehicles....which falls right into the wheelhouse of pickups and SUV's....

Last edited:
I had some lengthy discussions with 3 different dealers wanting to sell me a new C7. The prices were frustrating as I can buy a 3LT Grand Sport for less money than I paid for my 2016. Why is this frustrating? The LOW trade in value of my car. Not great value when I have a low mileage car with 5 years of factory warranty remaining.
Oh well, I'll rethink this in 2021 and maybe go for the C8.

I had some lengthy discussions with 3 different dealers wanting to sell me a new C7. The prices were frustrating as I can buy a 3LT Grand Sport for less money than I paid for my 2016. Why is this frustrating? The LOW trade in value of my car. Not great value when I have a low mileage car with 5 years of factory warranty remaining.
Oh well, I'll rethink this in 2021 and maybe go for the C8.

sell yours here, it is a great car, well kept, ie meticulous

carefully driven I know I get slow tickets when travelling with you

well maintained

and a somewhat reasonable chap to chat with and deal with

should be a great car for someone then deal with cash

just a thought my friend

• Agree
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread