Aug 6, 2017
Calgary
VetteCoins
Car
2017 GS Convertible
Province
AB
Got an email from the dealership where I bought my 2017 GS the other day (Jack Carter in Calgary) reminding me that the GM warranty expires this fall. Even though my car has been great and has not required any warranty work I'll follow up with them to get pricing but I believe that each dealer has the ability to set pricing on extended warranty. Looking for guidance from others who have shopped around and found the best deal. I know the big US extended warranty dealers don't sell extended warranty to Canadians so who in Canada is the most aggressive at getting this business.
Thanks,
Bob

you may not believe this but I do

when selling my 2013 grand sport the guy a cop from fort Mac had a dad who was in the car business but not Chevy

his dad called the local dealership and got the 3300 do,last warranty for 1100 bucks with 15000 Kos and 3 years old

So when buying our Toyota Highlander in 2016 I got a 2900 warranty for 1075.

the markup is huge, course I lied and said my friend in Edmonton offered me the warranty to get the deal in toyotaland west Edmonton,

the local dealer said ok but don’t tell anybody

Jeff

You are able to buy the extended warranty right up until your 3 year/60k warranty expires. The so called extended warranty gives you whatever time frame you buy LESS THE THREE YEARS... so 4 more years. and the mileage is a total mileage as well.... So a 7 year 84,000 km will give you 4 more years and whatever mileage to a total of 84,000km.

FCPP (owned by Wheaton family) offers a marginally better deal but they have a horrendous reputation. They will not cover many things (see the fine print), and also are notorious for making the dealer tear the car down before they will confirm if the warranty will actually cover the item. GM has a very new (this spring) extended warranty program which sounds like a winner....It's an actual extension to the bumper to bumper warranty as opposed to only covering certain items. I don'tknow much about it but I would be taking a hard look at that if I was still eligible and wanted extended warranty. I didn't like the myriad of non covered fine print items that came with the extended warranty that was available when I was shopping.

And yes... there is a huge mark-up on extended warranties. That's why your dealer is so gung-ho to sell it to you and will beat anyone's lowest price... lol..

It used to be a given that the manufacturers extended warranty was the best bar none. That is not always the case anymore. Many have sold off their extended warranty division to 3rd parties who look for any excuse to deny coverage. The more they deny the more they make of course. Dealer are free to set the retail prices at whatever they want. If they are offering 2000.00 discounts, their retail prices are out of whack!

Ps, almost all companies now require tear down on major problems to do a cost analysis, repair or replace, believe me the techs and dealers hate it.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
Got an email from the dealership where I bought my 2017 GS the other day (Jack Carter in Calgary) reminding me that the GM warranty expires this fall. Even though my car has been great and has not required any warranty work I'll follow up with them to get pricing but I believe that each dealer has the ability to set pricing on extended warranty. Looking for guidance from others who have shopped around and found the best deal. I know the big US extended warranty dealers don't sell extended warranty to Canadians so who in Canada is the most aggressive at getting this business.
Thanks,
Bob

I got mine from my dealer for $1500 for 5 years .. well .. it's actually $2500 but they give me a discount for $1000 cause when I sold to them my Camaro it's still have 3,5 years of extended warranty on it

Ps, almost all companies now require tear down on major problems to do a cost analysis, repair or replace, believe me the techs and dealers hate it.
My dealers service manager told me that GM's own extended warranty allows them to assess whether the repair is covered themselves. They hate FCPP as well and it's owned by them. Lol.

My dealers service manager told me that GM's own extended warranty allows them to assess whether the repair is covered themselves. They hate FCPP as well and it's owned by them. Lol.
From GM
"Is authorization required?
With the GM Protection Plan, the GM dealer of your choice manages the paperwork and claims process for you and will obtain authorization whenever necessary". I don't think any dealer has the authority to do major repairs ( think engine,transmission) without prior authorization. They have repair hotlines they typically have to call/email when the repair exceeds a certain amount.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
From GM
"Is authorization required?
With the GM Protection Plan, the GM dealer of your choice manages the paperwork and claims process for you and will obtain authorization whenever necessary". I don't think any dealer has the authority to do major repairs ( think engine,transmission) without prior authorization. They have repair hotlines they typically have to call/email when the repair exceeds a certain amount.

Good to know Dan.

Reactions: Dantanman
Question
When I ordered and bought my O3 anny I added the extended warranty at the time of purchase. I think it ran around 2k back then and I made sure I got my monies worth. Every TSB I saw I took it in and said I had that issue. This time on my 19GS I didn’t. Now that I see there are so many issues with the tranny and wheels I probably should of. Dealer didn’t even bring it up. Would you buy now (don’t even had 800k yet) or wait and if anyone has purchased it what did it run. I thought there was a tire and rim coverage too is that correct. I don’t want to call the dealership until I know what I’m going to do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.