apollo18

Casual User
May 7, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
1962 corvette c1
Province
AB
hello is the orignal corvette hood release cable the best or is there a aftermarket or different brand that makes a better one?
mine broke so i have to order another one, looking for input

thx!

Good Morning!
I looked for a release cable 5 years ago and finally purchased one from a corvette supply place. I think they are just reproductions from far offshore--quality is not really there (stiff and sticky) I reworked mine with lube and a few judicious kink removals and it worked fine. We also put in a backup cable to each hood lock using a very fine aircraft cable type of plastic coated cable used for hanging pendulum type light fixtures. We ran the cable under the dash and zap strapped them to the release cable casing with a tape marker in event of breakage or stop nut slippage. Which reminds me, bend the end sticking out of the stop nut.
Have a good time
Bob & Gina

Attachments

• IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Good Morning!
I looked for a release cable 5 years ago and finally purchased one from a corvette supply place. I think they are just reproductions from far offshore--quality is not really there (stiff and sticky) I reworked mine with lube and a few judicious kink removals and it worked fine. We also put in a backup cable to each hood lock using a very fine aircraft cable type of plastic coated cable used for hanging pendulum type light fixtures. We ran the cable under the dash and zap strapped them to the release cable casing with a tape marker in event of breakage or stop nut slippage. Which reminds me, bend the end sticking out of the stop nut.
Have a good time
Bob & Gina

I believe you are the one who posted on how to release hood latch on 62 passenger side. Can’t find your original post but am having problems reach the hood release. Did you remove your splash pan or starter. I’ve got small arms, especially after loosing 35 lbs, and I can’t snake my arm in enuff to reach the latch. Frustrated ad ready to take a hacksaw to it 😁.

• Haha
Reactions: OL Yeller
Oh Lord, please do not take a hacksaw to it! I was nearly there when I got new seats, I tried for 2 hours in a 35 deg day to get the driver side to clip in. I was ready to sell the car. Instead, I said "F it", a cold beer is what's needed and a good nights sleep. Next morning clipped it in in 5 minutes. Patience , patience .patience. Remember it was built by mere mortals, mere mortals can fix it.

I believe you are the one who posted on how to release hood latch on 62 passenger side. Can’t find your original post but am having problems reach the hood release. Did you remove your splash pan or starter. I’ve got small arms, especially after loosing 35 lbs, and I can’t snake my arm in enuff to reach the latch. Frustrated ad ready to take a hacksaw to it 😁.
Oh Lord, please do not take a hacksaw to it! I was nearly there when I got new seats, I tried for 2 hours in a 35 deg day to get the driver side to clip in. I was ready to sell the car. Instead, I said "F it", a cold beer is what's needed and a good nights sleep. Next morning clipped it in in 5 minutes. Patience , patience .patience. Remember it was built by mere mortals, mere mortals can fix it.
Yeah you’re right and just vent. Finally got it by removing the pass side splash shield. Have another question regarding the hood release cables - anyone know a good lubricant made for lubricating them? Mine are stiff and I’d like to see if there is some made just for that purpose. Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.