Jul 12, 2018
Richmond, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 Z51 6 spd
Province
BC
The GM battery termals are a sketchy design, with the angled nut that tightened the terminal, and are prone to not tightening or breaking. I hadn't had any problems with mine until last summer when the negative terminal would not tighten, and while I was able to adjust it and get it to tighten, I started looking at how to replace the terminal. There is a thread on another forum where the terminals were cut and drilled to attached marine style battery terminals, so opted to go with this route.

I went with EverStart marine battery terminals from Walmart. They seem to be solid, are colour coded which I like, coated to prevent corrision, and I was there so thought I'd try them.
1711505746238.png

I drilled a hole in the flat area of the old terminal, and cut the rest of the terminal off with a Dremel, effectively turning it into a spade connector, and then attached it with nuts instead of the supplied wing nuts. There is just enough metal after cutting off the old terminal to drill a hole and file the edges. I removed the battery to work as there is limited space, putting a scrap piece of wood in the battery tray as a work surface when drilling and cutting.

There was also enough thread space to attach the battery maintainer cable on top of the nut and and then tighten it with a second nut.
1711505875371.png

The boots fit over the terminals.
1711506176478.png

The connection appears to be considerably more solid than the factory terminals.

The GM battery termals are a sketchy design, with the angled nut that tightened the terminal, and are prone to not tightening or breaking. I hadn't had any problems with mine until last summer when the negative terminal would not tighten, and while I was able to adjust it and get it to tighten, I started looking at how to replace the terminal. There is a thread on another forum where the terminals were cut and drilled to attached marine style battery terminals, so opted to go with this route.

I went with EverStart marine battery terminals from Walmart. They seem to be solid, are colour coded which I like, coated to prevent corrision, and I was there so thought I'd try them.
View attachment 122266
I drilled a hole in the flat area of the old terminal, and cut the rest of the terminal off with a Dremel, effectively turning it into a spade connector, and then attached it with nuts instead of the supplied wing nuts. There is just enough metal after cutting off the old terminal to drill a hole and file the edges. I removed the battery to work as there is limited space, putting a scrap piece of wood in the battery tray as a work surface when drilling and cutting.

There was also enough thread space to attach the battery maintainer cable on top of the nut and and then tighten it with a second nut.
View attachment 122267

The boots fit over the terminals.
View attachment 122268

The connection appears to be considerably more solid than the factory terminals.
Good Job Creedence. Hope your summer is now trouble free

• Agree
Reactions: Black 03 Z06