Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
Aug 30, 2014
VetteCoins
The heat, the drought and the smoke aside, this is also the year of hornets and wasps. We have never seen a summer such as this with no rain now since June but we have also never seen this abundance of hornets and wasps. They are everywhere. Any place there is water, such as the bird bath and the dog's water dish if full of them, both drowned and trying to drink out of them. My German shepherd, Quinn, has been a hornet chaser since day one (the fool) and she gets stung multiple times daily as she snaps at them until she catches them in her mouth. Doesn't seem to bother her though as she chews them until dead and then eats them. Watching her roll on the lawn when she gets stung is pretty funny though. The plus side is we have had zero mosquitoes.
My grass hasn't been mowed now for 2 months mainly because it isn't growing and is pretty much all brown. My new Bad Boy zero turn hasn't been used once. And we are the lucky ones as the southern areas of the province are in dire straights for the farmers. Our crops are not great but most south and east of us it's a total loss. I have wheat in my fields which is a little more resilient but barley and canola growers are cringing. Definitely a year for the record books. Hit 36 today and due to the smoke, we never saw the sun once. Hopefully this is not typical of years to come...

PXL_20210816_012836634.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210815_235133192 (1).mp4
    24.3 MB
I hear you loud and clear on this.
i hit the “wall of smoke” coming back from Edmonton yesterday as I was nearing Innisfail.
It’s thick here and the smoke is too.
Wasps are everywhere and I do not have the heart to leave the bird baths dry for the birds.
With the Smoke, it was a long day for getting much done outside today.
Must BBQ with smoke and wasps only because I want my burger from the grill …
dashing in and out of the house to flip it.
I am alone for 7 weeks so I cannot ask my wife do it. 😂

The outdoor Prep for purposing a long drive to the Maritimes in October
isn't looking that bad now and cant come sooner.

Last edited:
My spouse just got back last week from a 3-day back-country hike in the mountains about a half-hour from Jasper (the Skyline Trail). We did that same hike about a year ago and were +++SWARMED by mosquitoes at every campsite...flying in your mouth, biting anything exposed so mostly dive-bombing your head and hands. Eating was a chore and all we could do was run to our tents and hunker down for an early night's sleep and listen to the incessant buzzing around our tent. But last week amazingly she had ZERO mosquitoes nor any other insects...nada...so had one of her best hikes ever. For anyone into mountain hiking, now's the time as long as you can avoid an area with smoke, which she did...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.