Oct 8, 2018
Northern Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Z06 3LZ LBR-MT
Province
ON
I have my Z06 stored in my heated garage (68 degrees) with fuel stabilizer, the Corvette battery tender plugged in and it's indoor factory cover on. I start the car once every month at 28-30 day intervals and run it for about 25 minutes to ensure that it gets up to full operating temperature then I shut it down and cover it back up.

Yesterday I started it and for some reason it automatically shut off. I left the car cover partially on in that the car remained covered from the windshield forward covering the engine. As well when stored I used the sweater sleeve approach running the tender cord through the sleeve of a sweatshirt with the rear hatch partly ajar. When I ran the car yesterday I unplugged the battery tender as instructed from the cars rear recepticle however I also left the rear hatch completely open.

My question is, is there a safety aspect to the car that recognizes the rear hatch being open and shuts off the car to prevent possible CO exposture for someone idling the car while inside with the hatch open?

is it an automatic?
did you use your remote to start it?
just eliminating the obvious questions first

my guess not because I see ... MT? after your LBR

you kept the hood heat extractor covered along with the nose intake?

otherwise close the hatch ... try it again>
then try with hatch open again ...
you may have the makings of an experiment

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cobravenomous
Nothing is build into the system unless you us the start on the key fob. Most prefer to leave the car dormant and start it in the spring.
Cheers

Like most opinions you will find opposing views on the issue of whether to let the car sit or start it monthly during winter storage. I take into consideration the fact that my car is being maintained in a 68-70 degree heated garage when I choose to start it monthly. The reason I do this is to maintain oil and fluids on the valve seals, gaskets, cylinder walls and bearings etc. If my car was stored in an unheated garage I likely would not start it, but my research about this topic recommends monthly starting due to the car being stored in a warm environment.

Reactions: Rruuff Day and BDK
I just read through the owners manual and didn't see anything about the engine shutting itself off. Like others have asked, is it an auto and did you use the remote start function?

If not, is there a check engine light on? Could you start it back up again?

Stolen from another forum post.........

"....
From 2017 manual.

If the vehicle is left in P (Park) while
running and the Remote Keyless
Entry (RKE) transmitter is outside
the vehicle, the vehicle will turn off
after one hour.

If the vehicle is left in P (Park) while
running and the RKE transmitter is
inside, the vehicle will run for two
hours. At the end of the second
hour, the vehicle will turn off.
The timer will reset if the vehicle is
taken out of P (Park) while it is
running

...... ".

I think in the later model years it automatically turns off if left stationary for a long period of time. I’ll try to dig up more info.

So I started the car on Saturday and again it shut off automatically but I couldn't determine how long it ran because I also started my motorcycle at the same time, so I couldn't hear the Corvette shutting off. I set a timer on my iPad and at twenty five minutes all I knew was that my Corvette was no longer running. It did get up to operating temperature however.

So today I ran it again, this time with my battery charger fully disconnected and removed completely from the trunk area with my trunk lid fully closed. This way if the car by design was programmed to turn off with the trunk lid open due to potential CO poisoning I would expect it to not shut off now. Well in absence of the motorcycle running along with my iPad counting down, I was able to hear that it shut off right around twenty minutes of idling. However my key fob was in my pocket and not in the car.

I deduce this is by design, to shut off at a preprogrammed set period of time.

Next time I'll run it with the rear lid closed and the fob in the car and I'll report back ha ha.

Peter

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.