It's a known issue for the shifter from 2005 4 speed to the 2006-2013 6 speed shifters. The cause of the issue is a small cheap Park solenoid microswitch that gets weak and doesn't always latch when the brake is pushed, to send a signal to the Park solenoid to energize and unlatch the locking pawl for the shifter. ( This small switch is directly in front of the shift lever) see the pics in the attached PDF.
Eventually, this microswitch will fail completely, and the shifter will be stuck in Park (hopefully at home)
Many of us that have experienced it early in ownership, have either replaced the $1.99 microswitch, or simply tied back the locking pawl with a wire whenever required. ( have the wire run to the center console so I can pull it to release the locking pawl whenever I need to)
I did not replace the microswitch, but bent the switch lever back a bit so it would hopefully give it more strength to latch as required.
I've had to use the wire a few times, but it is nice to know that I don't have to rely on the microswitch to work.
I may replace the microswitch one of these hibernation periods.
It can be purchased online or at an electronics store.
The hardest part of this job is removing the radio surround console, then pull up the shifter boot up to the shifter knob, then remove the shifter indicator to get at the microswitch, and the locking pawl.
Sir;
That is a great write up, however at the risk of appearing ungrateful, I am not sure that you have described the second switch correctly. I was unable to find anything that matched, so I tracked down the other circuit via the shifter wire connector diagram. It appears to me that the other switch is a SECOND shifter in park switch, 2008 see Column Lock Schematics, for 2005 see Column/Ignition Lock Schematics, the 2005 schematic actually calls it "Park Switch 2". unfortunately the wire colors do not seem to match your pictures, should be D-BU & D-GN/WH, and D-GN/WH & not spec-ed for the other, which is troubling, but not unheard of.
Thank You;
BGS

Sir;
That is a great write up, however at the risk of appearing ungrateful, I am not sure that you have described the second switch correctly. I was unable to find anything that matched, so I tracked down the other circuit via the shifter wire connector diagram. It appears to me that the other switch is a SECOND shifter in park switch, 2008 see Column Lock Schematics, for 2005 see Column/Ignition Lock Schematics, the 2005 schematic actually calls it "Park Switch 2". unfortunately the wire colors do not seem to match your pictures, should be D-BU & D-GN/WH, and D-GN/WH & not spec-ed for the other, which is troubling, but not unheard of.
Thank You;
BGS
I found the colors, another post has a diagram and the colors I am looking for are on one side of connector, and the ones going to the switches on the other, so it matches.

Hi 12.

There was a couple of times when i could not pull the shifter from Park to either Reverse or Drive. I was instructed to grip the shifter firmly, push it forward very firmly then pull it backwards to the gear you want.

Question; do you park on a slope or a hill?
I AM NOT THIS PERSON BUT I PARKED ON A HILL / EVERYTHING WAS GOOD TILL THE NEXT DAY i WENT TO MOVE THE VETT. STARTED THE CAR / PUT INTO GEAR AND NOTHING HAPPENED ?

i have a 2008 corvette / LS3 / automatic with shift on the steering wheel as well as the normal consol . I did park on a hill and the car had 0 issues until today when I went to move it . It started right up , I placed it in Drive , released the park break and nothing happened . Nothing could of happen to it overnight . I am totally at a loss ? Some one said it was the shift cable , I removed everything right down to the point where to cable attaches to the shift lever / it is in perfect condition and still very much attached . this car has never had an issue with getting stuck is any gear , it just doesn't engage now ? My thought it may be electrical / The first relay which is for the transmission tested good . there just cant be that many things that would make this happen , trany was just serviced 500 iles ago . It must be something simple I am just not aware of . Please send thoughts I will chase them , Thank you
sincerely
Eddie Harris

Last edited:
i have a 2008 corvette / LS3 / automatic with shift on the steering wheel as well as the normal consol . I did park on a hill and the car had 0 issues until today when I went to move it . It started right up , I placed it in Drive , released the park break and nothing happened . Nothing could of happen to it overnight . I am totally at a loss ? Some one said it was the shift cable , I removed everything right down to the point where to cable attaches to the shift lever / it is in perfect condition and still very much attached . this car has never had an issue with getting stuck is any gear , it just doesn't engage now ? My thought it may be electrical / The first relay which is for the transmission tested good . there just cant be that many things that would make this happen , trany was just serviced 500 iles ago . It must be something simple I am just not aware of . Please send thoughts I will chase them , Thank you
sincerely
Eddie Harris
Hello Eddie and welcome to the forum. You're replying in an old thread and my get a response but I would recommend opening a new thread in this forum section and also postig it in the Corvette Tech section where more may see it. Here's the link to the Corvette Tech and DIY forum section.

my car hasnt been stuck in park, with my foot on the brake with the engine running it can be shifted into any gear , just not trany engagement .
I did see the micro switch everyone has mentioned . I manually engaged still no joy ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.