May 1, 2016
VetteCoins
Another problem from storing my C6 for 18 months in my garage with poor light most of the time, plus a car cover. First winter 2019 and then COVID - not licensed. Anyway now I have put it out on the road I find the driver's side mirror stays in the dim mode. I have left it outside in the sun for an hour and it has not corrected itself. The passenger side is OK, maybe it is not auto dimming. Please don't tell me I have to replace the mirror assembly for a whopping amount of dollars. Perhaps I just have to replace the mirror glass with standard glass and just use my left hand to shield the idiot behind with his bright lights on. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Try cleaning all the sensors. Does the interior rearview mirror dim properly?
Sorry I don't really understand how the dim system works. The rear view mirror resets every time the ignition is turned on and have to cancel manually to extinguish green light and turn "dim" function. However, I see no difference in the side mirror whether or not the interior mirror is "on" or "off". Are the two linked? Can anybody help me to deactivate side mirror? I can get paste on clear glass to stick on over existing mirror glass and it supposedly deactivates mirror glass heater but I don't care about that. Has anybody done this?

Page 3-40 in 2010 owners manual shows
"Outside Automatic Dimming Mirror
If the vehicle has this feature, the driver side outside
mirror adjusts for the glare of headlamps behind
you. This feature is controlled by the on and off setting
on the inside rearview mirror."

The rearview and driver side mirrors are auto dimming but they operate independently. Each mirror has a sensor that activates the change. Here is an explanation; The Way Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirrors Work Is Actually Fascinating.
Thanks Brian. I have now learned about the Troxler Effect and the fact that the two mirrors operate independently. Obviously there has been a fault in the electronics inside the outside mirror because this mirror NEVER saw a bright light since it went to sleep in the fall of 2019, so I don't think it is the sensor in the mirror. However if it IS the sensor then I still don't know how to correct my problem other than putting a new glass over the original or replacing the entire mirror assembly for about $600. . Anybody else got more ideas?

Page 3-40 in 2010 owners manual shows
"Outside Automatic Dimming Mirror
If the vehicle has this feature, the driver side outside
mirror adjusts for the glare of headlamps behind
you. This feature is controlled by the on and off setting
on the inside rearview mirror."
Wow thanks, I have fallen into that male fault of never reading the instructions until after I get in trouble. My manual says same as yours - page 2-44. Funny my manual that came with the car is a 2008 for a 2007 - someone must have switched in its earlier life. Problem is my mirror is permanently stuck in dim mode, even when car parked and no key etc. As I said earlier hitting switch on inside mirror does nothing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.