Jul 12, 2018
Richmond, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 Z51 6 spd
Province
BC
What have you guys done for audio upgrades in your C6s? The overall quality of the factory system is useable, but has the standard characteristics of lack of mid range and clarity of most Bose systems, so am taking the time to navigate forward. I have factory nav updated with the latest firmware, updated the maps, and added an iSimple Connect ISGM655 for Bluetooth/Aux/USB connectivity, so now have all the connectivity and useability in the stock head unit that I need.

I disconnected the centre speaker which made a marked improvement in the stereo imaging. The rear sounds really muddy, and the way it's configured with mono signal is a joke, so I faded it forward which improved stereo image, clarity, with a small reduction in mid bass. I insulated the rear hatch area for rode noise, and found that it reduced some of the muddiness from the rear, and increased the mid bass, so now have it faded part way forward. I'm now thinking of insulating the doors.

If I do anything else, it would be 6.5" components in the doors, no rear speakers, and a small sub, powered by independant amps. I want to keep the cost reasonable, as I appreciate function over dollar. In my G35, the Bose system was worse than the Corvette, so I put JL Audio TR650-CSi components in the doors, TR650-CXi coaxials in the the rear doors, powered by an Alpine MRP-F300 4 channel amp, and a JL Audio 10" sub in a custom box powered by a JX 250/1 amp, which has been a great setup. The TR650 components have been great in the G35, so would consider a pair for the Corvette but they've been discontinued, so have been considering the Hertz Dieci DSK165.3 components, JL Audio C1-650 components driven by a suitable amp.

Reactions: nascar03
Wow it sounds like a good education is on the way for us on C6 stereos.
Your knowledge is way out of my league but there are definitely other audiophiles here that will be able to talk the talk.
Look forward to reading this thread 👍

Reactions: 61ratvette
So no one else done any audio installs on their C6s?

I continued the insulation behind the seats and over the top divider at the end of the hatch area. The pic below is just of the hatch area but you get the idea.
1545174144166.png

I think the road noise is further reduced along with the insulating in the hatch area but it's hard to say. The stereo seems to be further improved, with more clarity from the rear speakers. They still sound muddy, and not as clear as the front, but it's like a bunch of low mid around the 300-600 Hz range has been sucked out. I would have expected similar results from insulating around the mounting area of the speakers or the surfaces behind the the mounting area, but not from behind the seat which isn't very close. My guess is sound must be some bad frequency loading around the hatch area surface and behind the seat.

I'm less motivated to do the doors as it's a lot of work if just keeping the stock stuff in there. Between the centre channel disconnect, the rear sound deadening, and then being able to play high bitrate digital audio through the iSimple, it might be good enough to leave for a while.

What have you guys done for audio upgrades in your C6s? The overall quality of the factory system is useable, but has the standard characteristics of lack of mid range and clarity of most Bose systems, so am taking the time to navigate forward. I have factory nav updated with the latest firmware, updated the maps, and added an iSimple Connect ISGM655 for Bluetooth/Aux/USB connectivity, so now have all the connectivity and useability in the stock head unit that I need.

I disconnected the centre speaker which made a marked improvement in the stereo imaging. The rear sounds really muddy, and the way it's configured with mono signal is a joke, so I faded it forward which improved stereo image, clarity, with a small reduction in mid bass. I insulated the rear hatch area for rode noise, and found that it reduced some of the muddiness from the rear, and increased the mid bass, so now have it faded part way forward. I'm now thinking of insulating the doors.

If I do anything else, it would be 6.5" components in the doors, no rear speakers, and a small sub, powered by independant amps. I want to keep the cost reasonable, as I appreciate function over dollar. In my G35, the Bose system was worse than the Corvette, so I put JL Audio TR650-CSi components in the doors, TR650-CXi coaxials in the the rear doors, powered by an Alpine MRP-F300 4 channel amp, and a JL Audio 10" sub in a custom box powered by a JX 250/1 amp, which has been a great setup. The TR650 components have been great in the G35, so would consider a pair for the Corvette but they've been discontinued, so have been considering the Hertz Dieci DSK165.3 components, JL Audio C1-650 components driven by a suitable amp.
I would not touch the Bose audio system Any change in my understanding would not increase the value.

I would not touch the Bose audio system Any change in my understanding would not increase the value.

Maybe not the value but it would sure improve the sound of it. I have Bose in almost every room of the house but the mass produced Bose in GM is literally the poorest sound quality of all the big 3 manufacturers IMO.
I totally get why someone would want to upgrade these automotive system.

Reactions: YFCvii

It has been my experience over the years that other than keeping your car in pristine condition, very little else will increase the value. Improvements, upgrades, aesthetic mods, etc. that we do should be for own enjoyment and appreciation. If you expect to recoup these costs, you will likely be disappointed. JMO

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.