RIP
You're a Regular King of the Post You're Liked 2 You're 10
Jul 15, 2012
Fairview, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z06
Good morning James,

I think you're right bang on. You need to do your research and to look around and not just assume that someone is going to give you the best deal.

Regarding my mom's Nissan and the engine replacement, a Nissan dealer in Edmonton said the cost would be close to $6K, the Nissan dealer in Grande Prairie wanted over $9K and my local garage $4.75K. Plus I don't have to trailer the truck for 2 or 5 hours either.

Maybe it is true what people were saying in the boom days of Alberta and how free people were with spending mopney. I remember talking with a car dealer in GP about getting a deal for the non-profit society to get a diesel Bug for our biodiesel project and was told flat out by the dealer owner "why should I give you a discount when someone will walk through the door and pay the sticker price?". It was not a fun experience in the 2008 period trying to negotiate to buy anything when 18 year olds making 6 digit incomes were paying the asking price for everything!!

Maybe some of us work harder for our $ so like you've pointed out are more concerned with getting the best bang for our buck?

As an aside the mechanic who will be doing the engine swap is a drag racer (SC'ed Chevette though but high 11 sec times!!) told me there is a Davenport prepped Camero north of Grimshaw and the owner has had the engine fail three times. Davenport has repaired it each time but it is an 8 hour drive one way from here to Calgary..........

Cheers,

Garry

I think alot of it is to do with marketing. I only caught the vette fever a couple months ago and everything I could find tdlling about them said davenport were the people to go get your car tuned or modified. I never even heard about manny till this forum, actuallydont hear much about him on any others now that he has entered into my radar? I agree the trouble with this province is there are too many people with more money than brains.

I agree with your view Supercarpilot. I didn't know about Manny, but now I do. Was watching the new Mike Holmes build Garages and Mike has a Mustang and must go to Manny's too because across the top of the windshield it read DaSilva Motorsports.

I hope it is the correct DaSilva decal because I oddly think there are two shops with very similar names in Ontario. Of course if MH was smart he'd be going to the right one..........in Breslau!!

Nope... DaSilva. They are brothers... so the name is the same!
David

No relation whats so ever . They work Mustangs mostly .

Da Silva Racing have 3 brothers in the Mustang performance business .

Dasilva Motorsports - Is a GM based Performance Shop . 1 owner no relation to the other shop.

:D

Well... thank you for correcting a misconception I have been carrying for years! :eek:
I was thinking the DaSilva family was covering all the good bases.
I'm sure that if we go far enough back in geneology we'll find a relationship with all DaSilvas somewhere that includes the gene which makes a person able to comprehend and manipulate speed and performance in machines! :)
David

Well... thank you for correcting a misconception I have been carrying for years! :eek:
I was thinking the DaSilva family was covering all the good bases.
I'm sure that if we go far enough back in geneology we'll find a relationship with all DaSilvas somewhere that includes the gene which makes a person able to comprehend and manipulate speed and performance in machines! :)
David

David ,you might be on to something :D

my son lives in Calgary, he took me to see the davenport shop. its very nice and there are a lot of nice cars there getting a lot of expensive work done. as for many and dasilva motorsports........ both my sons have dealt with dasilva as have I, and everything has been great. ryan lives in Calgary and Todd now resides in Saskatoon, sask. I met a gentleman at davenport and was not pleased with his arrogant attitude towards other builders or the parts they used. it always makes me suspect something is wrong with a shop that has no respect for the tuners/builders.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread