OK I'll bite: YIPPEEEEE!!!...the Oilers won their series last night! I've never played organized hockey so perhaps I don't understand the call, but I was surprised when Coleman's goal was disallowed. I imagine there's quite a few frustrated Calgary fans today...however who knows what would have happened to the series if the goal counted and Calgary won last night's game (assuming the Oilers wouldn't have scored after to once again tie it up during regular play).

Looking this up on the Web this morning, I see the NHL rule that was applied states:

"Plays that involve a puck entering the net as a direct result of a "distinct kicking motion" shall be ruled NO GOAL. A "distinct kicking motion," for purposes of Video Review, is one where the video makes clear that an attacking Player has deliberately propelled the puck with a kick of his foot or skate and the puck subsequently enters the net. A goal cannot be scored on a play where an attacking Player propels the puck with his skate into the net (even by means of a subsequent deflection off of another Player) using a "distinct kicking motion."

Coleman denies intentionally kicking the puck in and it looked to me that he didn't: his momentum carried him into the net and his skate looked to slide forward into the puck, when he was caught up with Cody Ceci. It also looked like the puck was going in anyway, had his skate not made contact with it. Having said that, two of the commentators during the subsequent intermission, were quite certain it was the correct call: they talked about Coleman looking at the puck and deliberately directing it in with his skate, and they both have lots of professional hockey experience.

Regardless, the game is over and it's time to move forward: nice the Oilers have a break before starting the next series, so they can rest up and have more time to recover from any injuries. Go Oilers GO!

Reactions: Dale124
I enjoy hockey now by keeping the damn game on the ice .
One thing worse than a “bad loser” is a “bad winner”. Sadly my hockey playing hopes in both YEG and YYC throughout childhood ended with injuries along the way once I got to college. Damn.
I get to enjoy college level hockey when in Fredericton now … having great nights out with my Daughter there. Much better hockey involving much less 💰💰💰

Reactions: 12cents
I am thrilled the Oilers have made it this far. It has been a long time coming. At times it just felt like we had a dark cloud over the city for hockey success, but perhaps that is changing. There will still be some very tough teams ahead of us, but you just never know what might happen.
Back in ‘06 we just squeaked into the playoffs, and then made it all the way to game 7 of the final. One can hope.

OK I'll bite: YIPPEEEEE!!!...the Oilers won their series last night! I've never played organized hockey so perhaps I don't understand the call, but I was surprised when Coleman's goal was disallowed. I imagine there's quite a few frustrated Calgary fans today...however who knows what would have happened to the series if the goal counted and Calgary won last night's game (assuming the Oilers wouldn't have scored after to once again tie it up during regular play).

Looking this up on the Web this morning, I see the NHL rule that was applied states:

"Plays that involve a puck entering the net as a direct result of a "distinct kicking motion" shall be ruled NO GOAL. A "distinct kicking motion," for purposes of Video Review, is one where the video makes clear that an attacking Player has deliberately propelled the puck with a kick of his foot or skate and the puck subsequently enters the net. A goal cannot be scored on a play where an attacking Player propels the puck with his skate into the net (even by means of a subsequent deflection off of another Player) using a "distinct kicking motion."

Coleman denies intentionally kicking the puck in and it looked to me that he didn't: his momentum carried him into the net and his skate looked to slide forward into the puck, when he was caught up with Cody Ceci. It also looked like the puck was going in anyway, had his skate not made contact with it. Having said that, two of the commentators during the subsequent intermission, were quite certain it was the correct call: they talked about Coleman looking at the puck and deliberately directing it in with his skate, and they both have lots of professional hockey experience.

Regardless, the game is over and it's time to move forward: nice the Oilers have a break before starting the next series, so they can rest up and have more time to recover from any injuries. Go Oilers GO!
Agreed. The game is over and the call was questionable whether Coleman shifted his left leg over intentionally or not but regardless, the referees have the final say, much like all games that seem full of questionable calls, and questionable plays that weren't called. The refs have the luxury of seeing the play from a multitude of close-ups and angles that we are not privy to so who knows. That is part of the game in any sport and those of us calling the plays from our couches unfortunately (or fortunately), don't have much of a say. I was ready to throw my support to either team for no other reason than to bring the Cup back to Canada but being an Edm fan for 42 years now, I am pleased with Edm moving on.

No you likely witnessed it in several games. Worst call by refs that I have seen in a long time. Actually as a separate rant, the officiating in the other playoff series' has been equally atrocious. I didn't have a dog in those fights.
Totally agree. Officiating has been very hit and miss this season.

Grandson and I watch every Oilers game, its our thing. A better play would of been to keep the foot /skate completely away from the puck.....it was already a goal.....just sayin.

Agree. The puck was angling across and may have hit the post and stayed out or it may have hit and gone in. Regardless. Coleman admitted yesterday to redirecting his leg to push the puck in so the refs obviously saw that in their videos and made the call accordingly.

The rule says clearly "a distinct kicking motion". If a redirected puck by a skate, deliberately or not, is now against the rules then 50% of deflections in front of the net would be disallowed. The rule allows you to re-direct the puck with your skates, just not kicking it into the net. Redirecting is not mentioned in the rule, a kicking motion is....

All in the interpretation by the ref... A distinct motion of the leg and foot was admitted to, with the intent to push the puck into the net ...
Makes for interesting discussion from all sides though and no doubt will be a topic in coffee shop conversations for some time ...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.