Not too sure if the rivets are the same but I've drilled out plenty of rivets in my cousin's different race cars, and found some item's riveted on my truck that needed replacement. They weren't bad at all until I got to the rivets that held in the window motors. Those were a pita to drill out as they have a small pin in the center of the head. Most of the rivets I've dealt with, I've been able to use a manual rivet gun to install. It sounds like your rivets are much more heavy duty.
Anyway, I haven't done much riveting with fiberglass and definitely not on a Corvette. The best person here for technical advice is Manny (Manny@Dasilva). Send him a message and he should be able to get back to you.

Thank you Riley for the contact info.. I'll try to contact Manny.

I found this picture that says these rivets fit 63 thru 82 Vettes. On my '67 I've found them to be the same general shape, all with 1/2" round heads like the pic but with different diameter shafts and lengths. Somewhere I read they were tubular but this picture looks like they're solid. I can't tell from what is installed on my '67, other than they're aluminum.

Attachments

• Corvette 63-82 Rivets.jpg
    Corvette 63-82 Rivets.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 18
Riley ... I was able to contact Bob via email and he said the following and it looks like some great info. in that thread!

"The definitive word on this subject comes from, as usual, none other than JohnZ (John Hinckley) who worked as a Chevrolet Engineer directly under Zora Arkus-Duntov.

General Motors Factory Riveting Tool - Corvette Forum That’s how I did it."

"The definitive word on this subject comes from, as usual, none other than JohnZ (John Hinckley) who worked as a Chevrolet Engineer directly under Zora Arkus-Duntov.

I agree, JohnZ is the authority on all things C2

Just a follow-up to let you know I purchased a rivet setting tool and some rivets to experiment with. I don't have an official bucking bar (goes behind rivet), but I've got some heavy metal objects I'm going to experiment with and also experiment with just using a hammer on the setting tool, my impact hammer and depending on how all that goes I may end up buying either a bucking bar and a rivet gun or both and I'll try to update this post on how that goes. Not spending much time of this due to focusing on some other areas right now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.