Oct 31, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
‘21 HTC
Province
BC
So, went out for a short drive in my ‘21 HTC with 11,000 kms Tuesday afternoon, top down, scorching hot day, took a right turn onto the highway about 5km from home, accelerated briskly, and was greeted by a cacophony of metallic sounds and immediate loss of power; I was able to wrestle it to the side of the road. The highway behind me was covered in a thin layer of Zelda’s lifeblood.
Called GM Roadside Assistance and they arranged for a recovery vehicle. It was a 3 hour wait but fortunately a friend was able to pick me up. As per a previous thread, these cars have to be dragged kicking and screaming on to the flat deck. No way to get it in to neutral although I was able to steer it in accessory mode.
Word today from the local dealer is there are actually two holes punched through the block by some A-hole named Rod. A new engine has been ordered and should arrive in about two weeks. Then I guess the guys at the shop will get to install their first C8 motor!! And now without my ride for what may be the rest of the summer 😥.

Attachments

• FAA549A7-9386-452B-93CC-D5580E84D902.jpeg
    FAA549A7-9386-452B-93CC-D5580E84D902.jpeg
    629.3 KB · Views: 634
  • 1CF33EE4-719F-4D68-B9B9-3A237EEFC72A.jpeg
    1CF33EE4-719F-4D68-B9B9-3A237EEFC72A.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 108
So, went out for a short drive in my ‘21 HTC with 11,000 kms Tuesday afternoon, top down, scorching hot day, took a right turn onto the highway about 5km from home, accelerated briskly, and was greeted by a cacophony of metallic sounds and immediate loss of power; I was able to wrestle it to the side of the road. The highway behind me was covered in a thin layer of Zelda’s lifeblood.
Called GM Roadside Assistance and they arranged for a recovery vehicle. It was a 3 hour wait but fortunately a friend was able to pick me up. As per a previous thread, these cars have to be dragged kicking and screaming on to the flat deck. No way to get it in to neutral although I was able to steer it in accessory mode.
Word today from the local dealer is there are actually two holes punched through the block by some A-hole named Rod. A new engine has been ordered and should arrive in about two weeks. Then I guess the guys at the shop will get to install their first C8 motor!! And now without my ride for what may be the rest of the summer 😥.
Sorry to hear! WOW. Hope they give you a better explanation. I'd love to hear it. Oil pump failure etc.

you mean the PDR memory card in the glovebox?
Ya, I was thinking of the ramifications and not the syntax. It might be nothing but if GM looks at it and sees speed in a particular gear etc.

Reactions: DenisC8
I can't see GM backing out of this one. The C8 is an automatic with computerized rev limiter. You cannot overrev it. Got to be a failed oil pump or bad connecting rod bearings from the get go. Good luck, hope it sorts out for you.
Agreed. GM is typically pretty good for warranty on engines unless you've done some wild mods.

I had my LS7 replaced right at the cusp of the warranty expiring the same month. The engine hadn't failed at that point, but there was enough going on on the heads that warranted a new crate motor. Had to keep some pressure on the dealer or they would have replaced the rocker arms and called it a day, but got what I wanted in the end.

This stuff happens. And a couple weeks for a motor replacement is a pretty good turn around.

Not losing sleep at this point but I’m a little concerned about how long it might take and how it all works out. Also not sure if a new engine effects resale down the road. I’ll keep you all updated on my progress.
Did they give you a "loaner"? Use of a Camaro would help soften the blow.

• Agree
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Not losing sleep at this point but I’m a little concerned about how long it might take and how it all works out. Also not sure if a new engine effects resale down the road. I’ll keep you all updated on my progress.

I sold my Z06 and Porsche...both had replacement motors and didn't impact resale one bit. It's a vette...not a Veyron. Don't lose sleep over this. Everything will be fine.

Reactions: Skahaman
Got my car Back yesterday with new engine, lost almost 5 weeks of prime convertible weather. On the bright side I’ll get 3 free oil changes while the rest of you suckers only get 2!!
Here’s a few pics of the engine damage.
78563CB7-6149-44DD-823F-FE4069A82E8B.jpeg

Attachments

• 28889F3F-488D-432F-9337-DC82F5FDE28E.jpeg
    28889F3F-488D-432F-9337-DC82F5FDE28E.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 40754BBB-BB44-409B-AF69-19E14D22285B.jpeg
    40754BBB-BB44-409B-AF69-19E14D22285B.jpeg
    487.3 KB · Views: 53
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread