And this brings us to our next point The PCC = Presidents Conference Committee

If memory serves I think the TTC bought them used from another transit agency ... not sure which ... these were in service even beyond the TTC's acceptance of 200 CLRVs in the mid late 70s ... then came the ALRV in 1985 or there abouts ( which was an extended articulating version of the CLRV ) And these vehicles stayed in service until the last CLRV and ALRV were retired at the end of 2019 And full time service was ( and still is ) handled by the new 7.5 million dollar per unit ... 5 section articulating Low Floor LRT ... the first one originally aquired by the TTC in 2014.... By the way ... if you were to walk into the New Leslie Barnes Maintenance facility at Leslie and Commissioners st ...you will be greeted by a Low Floor LRT model that measures about 5 feet long encased in glass that TTC paid 45 grand for yup no joke.

PCC
TTC marks 80th anniversary of vintage PCC streetcar with ceremonial ride -  Toronto | Globalnews.ca

CLRV
Canadian Light Rail Vehicle - Wikipedia

ALRV
File:TTC ALRV 4233 was part of a parade of 4 generations of streetcars.jpg  - Wikipedia

LRT # 4400 was the first one to enter service

TTC Rolls Out Its New Low Floor Streetcar Deployment Plan | UrbanToronto
I guess if you are paying 7.5MIllion for one car, then 45,000 for a model seems cheap, but I flinched at $20 for a C8 from Costco.

I guess if you are paying 7.5MIllion for one car, then 45,000 for a model seems cheap, but I flinched at $20 for a C8 from Costco.
Believe me the Costco C8 is probably nicer than than the model of the LFLRT ... I'm actually with The TTC ... have been for a long time ... and the next time I'm at Leslie I will snap a pic of it .... The powers that be looked at a few different players when trying to decide on the new LRT ... They looked hard at the Siemens LRTV ... and went to go check them out ... and tour their manufacturing and maintenance facilities in Germany ... and they all agreed that the Siemens vehicle was by far the better choice and cost per unit was I believe like 1.5 mil less ... but they were pressured to " buy Canadian " so they went with the Bombardier version ... Built in Thunder Bay ...
It does the job but is plagued with problems from the on board diagnostics systems to the poorly designed electronic / propulsion system controls that are all housed on the roof ... also the penta-graph is not well suited to a straight overhead 600 V feed as it is not wavy/staggered in alot of locations causing large grooves to form in the center of the carbon collector span ... but not to complain ... it keeps many people gainfully employed and the wheels of the economy turning
Also IMO they are way too big ... 5 sections... they could have ordered a few small ones to navigate areas like College / Carlton but instead ordered all of the mammoth size ... And when they go disabled and believe me they do ..... its so hard for emergency vehicles to get to them with all the traffic build up ...

Oh I could go on and on but I think iv bored you enough

Heres the Siemens unit that I think were purchased by Calgary .... Notice the exposed coupler ... that doesnt exsist on the Bombardier LRT .. This makes coupling on the street very easy ( thats a scary thought );) Preparing the Bombardier for coupling is quite the task ...

Siemens to Provide Calgary Transit With 15 S200 LRVs - Railway Age

Believe me the Costco C8 is probably nicer than than the model of the LFLRT ... I'm actually with The TTC ... have been for a long time ... and the next time I'm at Leslie I will snap a pic of it .... The powers that be looked at a few different players when trying to decide on the new LRT ... They looked hard at the Siemens LRTV ... and went to go check them out ... and tour their manufacturing and maintenance facilities in Germany ... and they all agreed that the Siemens vehicle was by far the better choice and cost per unit was I believe like 1.5 mil less ... but they were pressured to " buy Canadian " so they went with the Bombardier version ... Built in Thunder Bay ...
It does the job but is plagued with problems from the on board diagnostics systems to the poorly designed electronic / propulsion system controls that are all housed on the roof ... also the penta-graph is not well suited to a straight overhead 600 V feed as it is not wavy/staggered in alot of locations causing large grooves to form in the center of the carbon collector span ... but not to complain ... it keeps many people gainfully employed and the wheels of the economy turning
Also IMO they are way too big ... 5 sections... they could have ordered a few small ones to navigate areas like College / Carlton but instead ordered all of the mammoth size ... And when they go disabled and believe me they do ..... its so hard for emergency vehicles to get to them with all the traffic build up ...

Oh I could go on and on but I think iv bored you enough

Heres the Siemens unit that I think were purchased by Calgary .... Notice the exposed coupler ... that doesnt exsist on the Bombardier LRT .. This makes coupling on the street very easy ( thats a scary thought );) Preparing the Bombardier for coupling is quite the task ...

Siemens to Provide Calgary Transit With 15 S200 LRVs - Railway Age
AHH! the politics of purchasing. Why go for better when you can get tax revenue. Different budgets. Purchasing / maintenance

• Agree
Reactions: Vettenut
Fire department said there were no hazardous materials on board and the news reported the cargo on fire was railway ties :ROFL:

Take a couple of good breaths of that .... grow a tail in the next few years

State Senate Could Limit Burning Railroad Crossties for Energy - FlagpoleState Senate Could Limit Burning Railroad Crossties for Energy - Flagpole670 × 377
Lol . Nothing to worry about, nothing to see here , don’t worry be happy.

One of the most used preservatives to treat the wood railroad ties against rotting, insect infestation and few other timber diseases, is Creosote.

Some of the other toxic preservatives used to treat railroad ties are pentachlorophenol and chromated copper arsenate.
Mmmmm.. tasty .

Lol . Nothing to worry about, nothing to see here , don’t worry be happy.

One of the most used preservatives to treat the wood railroad ties against rotting, insect infestation and few other timber diseases, is Creosote.

Some of the other toxic preservatives used to treat railroad ties are pentachlorophenol and chromated copper arsenate.
Mmmmm.. tasty .
Can these be used in your smoker?

Users who are viewing this thread