Apr 2, 2023
VetteCoins
Car
2023 C8 Z51
Province
ON
I am thinking about going to a HPDE this summer. This would be my first time ever in my car (I did the Spring Mountain class last year and loved it).

Does anybody have good recommendations about:

- Where to track prep the Z51 and how much to expect to pay for it. I saw someone mentioned Robinson Automotive in Mississauga. Anyone did track prep with them?

- What clubs offer HPDE events in Ontario? Canadian Tire Motorsport Park is the closest race track to me. I found Take it to the Track and Drive - DriveTeq.ca (https://driveteq.ca/) that organizes events there. Anyone has any experience with them?

Any advice to a newbie is very welcome.

It's been many years since I've done any of these, but all kinds of clubs rent tracks. I raced with many of them. I'd suggest you find a club that has rented the Driver development track at CTMP as it is wide open with no concrete to hit.

You should also check out Toronto Motorsport Park (AKA Cayuga). And Shannonville.
All these tracks are wide open and safer for your car.

Edit: Many of the club lapping days have experts that will ride along with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: HZOR
I'd recommend the following for people new to lapping days:
Speed Therapy
Ontario Time Attack schools
Hanson International Driving School

I've heard the C8 may have some DCT oil requirements for tracking, but as a general rule, in a modern sports car, you shouldn't need to do anything to track prep your car for a first time lapper - just make sure tires/brakes/etc are in good shape.

Reactions: HZOR and Murray20c8
Speed Therapy is the best value for CTMP on the Grand Prix Track and the ride along instructors are free for new drivers. BMW Trillium club has a very good school they run 3X per year and you have the same instructor, one on one in car and classroom. The best instruction I have received is from ACE - Perry Performance at Calabogie. They train you on "race craft" versus how to get around the track type education. CTMP and Calabogie can be a bit overwhelming for a brand new driver - more challenging than Spring Mountain. I hear TMP open lapping days are not as organized (AKA Wild West) and I would not recommend for a new driver and I don't think they have instructors. Grand Bend open lapping days are well managed and there are not any barriers to hit if you run off etc. and I consider this one of the safest tracks, but there is no instruction. I always find Grand Bend has a great group of drivers who are willing to show a new person the ropes.

You can prep your car yourself except for the track alignment. I do it all the time. I use Can-Alignment Scott Murfin for track alignment who is very knowledgeable and reasonable priced. Any GM dealer who sell a lot of Corvettes can handle all the track prep. too. The only dealer I have used is Finch Chevrolet in London. The cost can be significant depending on what you want done. The alignment, brake fluid change and top off of the trans fluid can run over $1500.

Reactions: HZOR
@GM MUSL great info, thanks.

Do you keep track alignment on the street or switch before/after each track day?

I am thinking of starting with street specs and switch to track alignment if I see the need. One thing I am worried about is that I felt very comfortable pushing at Spring Mountain, the car felt amazingly predictable and easy to drive at the limit of my abilities, and I don't want to end up with a less amazing car because of street alignment.

I could probably live with track alignment on the streets and accept the accelerated tire wear. I guess tires will wear out quickly anyway if I do any significant amount of track racing.

I hear TMP open lapping days are not as organized (AKA Wild West) and I would not recommend for a new driver and I don't think they have instructors.
Just the opposite. I have run many of them. They are licensed and insured. Of course it can depend on the club, but all the ones I participated in were well managed. There are rules to follow and anyone not following them is sent packing. These are the exact events I WOULD recommend to new drivers. No pressure to perform and lots of help is available from enthusiasts.

Anyone have any horror stories to relate (without embarrassing themselves, of course)?
My Wife and I did a camping weekend at one of the tracks a decade ago (or more) and they allowed 'civilians' to take their cars out.
We watched in horror (laughing) as a kid bounced off the wall with what was obviously his Mom's car.
How do you explain that when you get home?

That's one other thing I can't find. Who is selling track day insurance?

That's one other thing I can't find. Who is selling track day insurance?
I was mentioning my own circumstance where it was available. I think Haggerty has insurance in Canada now...

Track Day Insurance Murray. Follow the bouncing ball. If I am wrong about Haggerty, I know there is coverage out there as I have looked into it in the past...
I know language is hard for raccoons, but try to read what I wrote. I'm saying buyer beware.

You're telling me your friend couldn't get track day insurance because he had too many cars and not enough drivers. Yes?
No, he was given a go around trying to get ANY insurance from them.

Reactions: Tindale