Oct 13, 2011
Ancaster, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2004 convertible
I do.

It seems to be another one of my passions. Sadly they are a lot like peanuts, once you've had one you can't seem to stop.I took these photos yesterday and thought I would share.

CORVETTES
There was a time when I thought I would get one of each generation, but I think that idea has gone out the window due to the number of cars I would end up having. I want to be able to show the bulk of my collection, not keep them in boxes, yet at the same time keep my dearest wife happy. We'll explore just how well that is working in a later post...first the cars.

1954 1/18 scale
D01-XL.jpg

1967 1/18 scale
D02-XL.jpg

The above cars are fine, not overly detailed, the next one, on the other hand is as realistic as it gets........

First off it's not 1/18th, it's 1/12, this shot shows the difference

D09-XL.jpg

Simply an amazing diecast with a Canadian connection, Ron Fellows. It's big and heavy weights 8 pounds. I have long been aware of this model but refused to pay the $600+ $US for one of them, got very lucky last week and made the purchase, it's the jewel of my collection now.

D05-XL.jpg

D07-XL.jpg

D08-XL.jpg

D06-XL.jpg

D10-XL.jpg

as you can see in my excitement to take the photos I forgot to finish the dusting.

OK, now on to CAR'S THAT I'VE OWNED

Pretty small collection but I am always looking to expand it.

My first car, my smallest model, yet strangely until the C5-R Corvette came along, my most expensive.

1950 Ford Prefect

Scale 1/43, compared to a 1/18

D32-XL.jpg

D33-XL.jpg

This is a model of my first real car, and although small, with no opening doors, hood (bonnet) etc. is still is well detailed with little metal windscreen wipers and hood ornament. Somerville, the British manufacturer, went out of businees in the 70s or 80s and these cars are rare, I just checked eBay UK and this model going for over 220 British pounds. When I bought it I was in a bidding war and ended up paying more for the model than I did for the real car. Since then the value seems to have more than doubled.

1969 Z28 Camaro
D30-XL.jpg

Bought brand new on the day I quit my job, what a great feeling, didn't go back to work for another 5 months. Only car I've had that ever ate a tank of gas in one afternoon, I'm sure the 4:11s had something to do with that. ...plus my driving.

2004 Corvette

D31-XL.jpg

Very happy to find a model of my current car, had visions of finding anything and then having to take it apart and paint it, luckily that never happened.

stay tuned for more.......

PS, tried to post was told i am limited to "12 images, including smiles...."
just did a quick edit to keep Riley happy.

That's a great collection Wayne. Thanks for sharing. As a child/teenager I used to build 1/25th scale plastic models kits. Mostly automotive and those were mostly the current new cars of the day. I was lucky enough to find an AMT model of a 1975 Corvette Coupe recently on Ebay from a guy in London, ON. Brand new still in the wrapper. I'll get around to putting it together one of these days. When I went away to college my mother boxed up my old models and over time they disappeared. :(

Thanks.. I spent my childhood building 1/25 models, it was either the creativity or the glue that attracted me.

..here's a few more....

NISSAN's Z Cars

There was a time when I thought I'd be buying a 370Z so I tried to get versions of all of them, only got 2 before my 'vette "found me" and my plans went in another direction

350Z Coupe

D03-XL.jpg

350z Convertible, rare right hand drive version

D04-XL.jpg

FORMULA ONE

Reg Parnell's 1954 Ferrari, it's 1/18, by Exoto and the detail is stunning.

D28-XL.jpg

D27-XL.jpg

D28-XL.jpg

Also by Exoto is Ken Tyrell's incredible 6 wheel P34

D23-XL.jpg

D24-XL.jpg

D25-XL.jpg

finally 7 time World Champion Michael Schumacher's Ferrari in "race finish trim" by Mattel (not the best of detail, then again not the same price either)

D26-XL.jpg

Next, drag racing.....

D36-XL.jpg

Ramnchargers car has great detail, there are even small clips that fit into the hood pins.
D35-XL.jpg

D13-XL.jpg

D15-XL.jpg

D14-XL.jpg

1/16 Top Fuel Dragster of Clay Millican, by Milestone, stunning detail
D11-XL.jpg

D12-XL.jpg

Famed Greer, Black Prudhomme car before it was changed to it's familiar yellow paint job.
D16-XL.jpg

Tommy Ivo's twin Buick
D18-XL.jpg

...and if 2 is good then.......

D20-XL.jpg

Finally.. Don Garlits Swamp Rat VII
D17-XL.jpg

Great collection.
I have met Clay on several occasions as my friends at Leaf Racewear produced his driver's suit and sublimated crew shirts for a number of years. I think somewhere I have one of the crew shirts. Great guy.

Thanks for posting these up! Great pictures and stories! I'll have to snap a pic of mine some time. I only have a few larger ones but I have a crap ton of hot wheels. Love them. However they are boxed until I find a house....so once again, a useless post. :D

Not the absolute best model but I actually found it really difficult to find a C5 coupe in 1:18 scale. I painted the interior to match my car and did something else but can't remember. :D

I do think that someone was playing with the stripes though as the gap was correct before.....and it appears I left the door ajar in the pic which is good that I caught otherwise the 1:18 interior light may kill the 1:18 battery in 1:18 the time it takes to kill a real one.

null_zps9ba83348.jpg

I too have a few cars...I limited it to actual NASCAR replicas, which I buy from the haulers at the actual race.....keeps the amount I have down. I have a few #14's (and old #20's), as well as an old #43! However, my diecast motorcycle collection is rather extensive, but the majority are those cheap $10 ones from box stores.
The 6 wheel Tyrell is gorgeous, but Racing Vette takes the cake. I remember watching Ron win the 24 Hours of Daytona and Corvette finish 1-2-3. Tbink I watched about 16 hiurs of it.

I have a small collection of 1:18 and 1:24 vettes. But the real collection is the 200+ Hotwheels - All corvettes. I can't believe my wife let me hang them on the wall downstairs. They take up a huge chunk of wall.

T

These are of the original build. The model has changed for display purposes. Originally was fully functional with 4 speed manual trans. Working doors, hood and t tops. Lego 9v Motor powered built into a 350 looking housing. The model has been stripped of motors and light to be a display only. I am really proud of this model. Took a lot of hours and thought. The only non-Lego components are the wheels. At the time Lego never made anything big enough.

You can see the entire original album here:

Brickshelf Gallery - Large scale 73 vette in progress

T

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.