Sherwood Park
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Z06
  • You're 5
  • 10 Years
  • You're a Regular
  • King of the Post
So I ALMOST had my car back and THEN the found out that the car was popping out of second gear AFTER the rebuild... the tranny is now back out of the car and the tranny guy is stumped. By his inspection, there was nothing wrong with second to begin with and he can't figure out what the issue is. He's talking with Tremec about the problem and I think he's ordered a new second gear and synchro but really only as a "don't know what else it could be" path forward.

Does anyone have any carnal knowledge of these t56's that might help? it popped out with both the short shifter AND the factory shifter so that wasn't the issue.

He said he noticed that second gear doesn't have as much taper to it in comparison to the rest of the gears which is supposed to help suck the gear in tight but there doesn't seem to be any wear on it either...

Any help would be appreciated!!

Tony

Riley P

Staff member
Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Awards
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province / State
Saskatchewan
  • C5
  • SK
  • You're 5
  • 10 Years
  • You're a Regular
  • King of the Post
Not a clue. I thought I had an idea until I realized that the transmission is in the rear attached to the axle! Opps. My guess was alignment issues.

Wadew

I'm New Here
Jun 14, 2010
Awards
Hanna AB.
VetteCoins
Car
  • You're 5
Your guy is right. Jumping out of gear has nothing to do with shifter, but is held in place by the taper on the gear and the shift collar. Although I have never worked on a Tremec tranny, I have rebuilt a few manual trannys. I would recommend replacing the gear and the shift coller.
Wadew

dankhts

Regular
Feb 1, 2010
Awards
Stoney Creek Ont
VetteCoins
Car
2002 C5
  • 10 Years
  • You're 5
  • You're a Regular
I'd like to know who you used to rebuild the tranny so the rest of us can avoid him! Other than that, I have nothing else to add either!

HLN A55

High RPM Poster
Jan 27, 2009
Awards
Sherwood Park
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Z06
  • You're 5
  • 10 Years
  • You're a Regular
  • King of the Post
well, this was in March last year actually... no probs with the tranny at all... AND it was in Edmonton so I wouldn't worry about it.

It was a worn second gear that didn't appear to have wear when they inspected it.

Riley P

Staff member
Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Awards
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province / State
Saskatchewan
  • C5
  • SK
  • You're 5
  • 10 Years
  • You're a Regular
  • King of the Post
That subject was a bit misleading. :eek:

And some of those replies. :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I have nothing else to add.
HA! That is hilarious. I have nothing else to add.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)