This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

And it begins....Body off

That's quite the 'jigsaw puzzle' you've got to put back together there Taylor --

That must be a very rewarding project once finished. Kudos brother. Judging by what we've seen so far, you'll have a real gem when you're done.

Thanks for posting. Hope you continue to share.

C.

I seem to get a lot more done when my wife and kids leave for the week. Got the rest of the suspension parts wire wheeled last night. Getting close to paint time. Now to find a full day to spend on prep and paint. The really hard part will be finding a day that both Riley and myself can work at it together. Gonna start hanging parts next week as I am away for the weekend. Then it is just a time game.

Still need to buy parts for reassembly. Waiting for a Corvette Central free shipping event.

For sure one of the hardest jigsaw puzzles I have undertaken. But at least there is a map and a bunch of people who have done it before. I hope this thing turns out the way I picture it.

T

Let me know what days work and we'll get together. So far I think I have one race in September but the weekends should all be wide open. May have to mix in a little cart driving between coats when we do paint!

I made that mistake ONCE. After countless hours sanding an intake manifold that had been previously powdercoated and was a VERY rough finish down to a smooth and beautiful aluminum dull shine I thought..."I should just polish this and clear coat it"

Yeah...double the time sanding, then polishing, then clearing only to have some oxidation on one area a year later that I missed and have to basically repeat the process. Should have powdercoated

So just browsing around the site and noticed I just missed a CC free shipping event! I didn't even get an email like I normally do. What the heck.

Guess I have to wait a bit more.

T

Was able to sneak in a weekend of painting. Started Friday night(after the kids were asleep and work late to get the first two steps of the POR15 process done. Then cranked the heat in the shop so it would dry by morning:

Had to make a wash down tray since my shop doesn't have a drain in it.

Then hanging all the parts up. Took up a lot of space. Luckily I have a very nice space to work in.

Mix Marine Clean about 5:1 with hot water and spray on using a spray bottle. Took about 20 mins to spray everything. Keep soaked for another 20 mins. Then wash off with hose. (this was painful to spray water on my blasted parts, but hey following directions)

Next put straight Prep & Ready into spray bottle and got to town on spraying everything. Keep soaked for 30 mins. Then wash off again.

It was about 12:30 at this point and I told Riley to come out for a 7:00AM start on painting so I cranked up the heat for the night to get everything dry. I left some water in the tarp tray so the shop would be humid in the morning. POR say it cures better in areas above 70% humidity( or something like that)

The next morning:

Started coating on the POR15. I was skeptical about the 1 quart being enough but this stuff is thin. Really thin. I was amazed how well it covered the metal though.

Proof that I do work on this car. (And Riley too)

First Coat:

Second Coat:

Good enough for a Saturday. Gave Riley some lunch and called it a day.

Takes 24hrs to cure for topcoat so closed up shop and waited....

On Sunday I started with a light 320 grit sand down. Then I started priming the parts I wanted to be a contrast color (probably red). Used the primer made for POR15. I was not happy with how the primer covered the POR15. I was actually a little worried after this first coat. But the second coat filled everything in and it looks pretty good. just gonna have to sand out a few runs.

Than after the Rider Game I top coated the rest of the parts with the POR Black Cote. Went on nice. Hard to tell where I had been though. Should have POR'd a contrasting color. Oh well looked pretty good anyway.

Don't have a nice clear pic of the chassis. Will take some more when I get home and take a look at the finished product.

All in all a good process. Not a fan of the primer so if I ever did this again I wouldn't bother with another color. I painted a few random things around the shop with the little bit of left over POR15 as a test. Painted a hammer, trailer tire rim, Riley used a bit on his truck, and a little bit on the chop saw stand. I am curious to see what happens when I use the hammer.

Oh ya and this stuff won't come off your skin easily. I don't think anyone warned me of this.....ha... everyone I talked to who had used it did warn me!

On to the next step. Spending money on parts. Oh and deciding what color to paint the control arms.

T

The finished product looks very nice. I found acetone does take off the POR but I don't think it's good for the skin.

Glad I could FINALLY make it out and help you for once. The only thing I would mention is that the first coat of POR takes a really long time and I would guess it took 2/3 of the can? The second coat went much faster and as stated, there was a bit left. It'll be a good test to see if it can stop the rust along the bottom of my doors and tail gate.

On the topic of POR 15... I've heard of a product called RUST SEAL by KBS Coatings that is supposedly made by the "inventor" of POR 15 when he went off on his own.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/stop-rust-paints.html

It is supposedly the same quality but at a slightly lower price to attract the established market. Has anyone experienced it?
David

Last edited:
I never used Rust Seal, but I did use Rust Bullet. Not fully sold on Rust Bullet because the rust is coming trough on some areas, yet other areas that should be rusting are still clean.

Well ordered a whole whack load of parts. Free shipping would have been a bit better of a deal than the 12% but oh well. This way I get them sooner. Plus now on every $100 order I get 7% and on every $500 order I get 12%. It is their Start to Finish program.

More updates when parts arrive.

T

Well painted the rest of the chassis parts. Smoke Grey. It isn't as dark as I thought it would be, but it will look good. Will get pics eventually, been busy planting trees at my house. Planted about 160 this weekend. Going to spray a coat or two of clear on top then just waiting for parts. Got a shipping notice so should be late this week or early next.

T

LOL, Tree planting and 'vette restoring: A match made in heaven I'm sure.

My 'better half' was the expert outside to make the place 'pretty' -- My extent outside is grass cutting and trimming.

Lookin' forward to the pics, Taylor.....I'm enjoying following this project along.

Colin.