Apr 27, 2018
London ON
VetteCoins
Car
99 Navy Metallic
Province
ON
Did a quick search and couldn't find much in previous threads, so thought I'd throw this question out there.

During my safety when we transferred the car, the mechanic pointed out a humming noise, which he has since identified as a failing alternator bearing.
Thankfully less than an hour to replace the alternator once he gets it in stock, but my question is whether the failing bearing is the problem or a symptom of a larger problem? If something was out of whack (very technical terminology) would it cause uneven belt wear leading to the bearing failure? In other words, do I need to look deeper than the alternator?

Thanks!

I really doubt you have to look any deeper than it simply being a worn alternator. GM's alternators have been getting better (I think I put 3 alternators on my old truck over 15 years), so 19 years is pretty decent for it to be working with belt tension on it all this time.

Reactions: FightingIrish
I agree with Riley, and in doing so will also give a kudo to your mechanic. Way to often a lot of mechanics now-a-days would have said; "Yup. Thats' the alternator making that noise. You need a new one"

Reactions: FightingIrish
Got around to having the alternator replaced, and now I'm getting a "charge system fault" on my DIC.
Replaced again with second new alternator (both AC Delco) and still the same.
System gauge reads 14+ volts, so its definitely charging...the DIC just doesn't like the new alternator.
Anyone ever run into this?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread