Aug 26, 2021
Montreal
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2023 C8 Z51
Province
QC
Thought I would ask a question that is bugging me. In chatting with one of the forum members, they made me realize something I was not aware of. I assumed that for every dealership, whatever their average allocation is per month, that average allocation continues thru the winter months too. Sure some arrangements might have to be worked out with the dealer to keep your car stored with them for a few months if delivered during the worst of the winter months, but at least the car is allocated, built, and delivered. I was informed that for select winter months (the coldest/snowiest), the allocations drop drastically (possibly zero in some cases), due to the fact that it gets more complicated for the transports to bring the cars over, and also that the tires can crack (would be surprised on this one as the car can be a winter driver for some with all seasons).

I know there are a couple of dealer guys on here, so was just curious to know what the reality is for allocations and deliveries throughout the winter months. Of course like others, trying to do the math based on wait list spot, and having less cars showing up to dealers during winter months will surely have an impact for those of us waiting patiently (in some cases impatiently).

Thanks in advance for this info !!

Tires cracking was an issue many years ago, not now. Road conditions might stop a transport for a day or two, but allocations don't change over the winter. Think of all the northern states that would be affected. Including the large U.S. dealers in the north.
Don't worry. You almost certainly will be able to pick up your car and drive it home at any time during the winter as long as you, yourself have a place to store it. Just as Thom did.

Reactions: Neils
Murray is right…C7’s had restricted shipping during cold weather due to the Michelin PSS tires. Not recommended to drive at less than 8c due to severe drop off in traction and possible tread block cracking. The C8’s have a new Michelin “all season performance tire”. However, I think the Z51’s still come with Pilot Super Sport Michelin’s, so maybe they are restricted for shipping in cold weather. Perhaps someone else has info regarding this. Rob.

Just checked the GM website and it shows Pilot Sport All Season tires for regular cars and Pilot Sport 4S summer only tires for Z51 optioned cars. This may restrict delivery of Z51’s. Dealers can chime in and let us know. Rob.

Murray is right…C7’s had restricted shipping during cold weather due to the Michelin PSS tires. Not recommended to drive at less than 8c due to severe drop off in traction and possible tread block cracking. The C8’s have a new Michelin “all season performance tire”. However, I think the Z51’s still come with Pilot Super Sport Michelin’s, so maybe they are restricted for shipping in cold weather. Perhaps someone else has info regarding this. Rob.
I don’t know about this. All tires (any all season tire) will turn into hockey pucks when exposed to temps 7 Celsius or below. I don’t think this would be the sole reason behind not delivering in the winter months. I’m sure rims and snow tires are available for any car. Just have to find the right combo. Smaller rim larger sidewalls etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.