Power User
Jun 26, 2014
Far East of Canada
VetteCoins
Car
Centennial coupe
Province
NL
For our vehicles, I stick to what GM engineers recommend. They have tested what they put in new vehicles. I won't argue with that. Evans no water coolant would be the only other product that I might consider. Evans Waterless Coolant, Prevent Engine Overheating

For the Corvette yes, I absolutely agree Keith. Although mine have been 1 C6Z and 2 C7Zs these has been 0 cooling issues. I never had any issues with the 15Z either although the car never went into the track. For the C6 and C7s if you’re running warm it’s likely your rad being obstructed with bugs and debris as the cause. Unless you have some other issues internally. Which is far less likely.
Evans waterless coolant is actually pretty amazing stuff. I use it in my H1 Hummer as they did have some cooling issues under load with the 6.5TD. Especially when they were modded up a bit like mine is. The science behind it works very well for Diesel engines as they like to run warm. The engine will not boil over and cavitation damage to liners is virtually eliminated with Evans Coolant. However it’s common to see it being used in high performance gasoline engines as well. It’s not a cheap undertaking to switch out and the system has to be modified to run at 0 pressure; but the performance of the cooling system goes up dramatically. I put it in my H1 when I changed out the entire cooling stack and have never had a problem.
Good post Keith.
26150ED5-8D4B-4664-85B4-A0697A4482FB.jpeg
7AA2CB74-53F4-47C6-9C60-04158842E31B.jpeg
1AACBA00-E2C7-4649-ADC5-B3384E56187C.jpeg

Reactions: 12cents
Good to know, I’ll stick with what the General recommends. Also in the C6 environment has anyone used a 160 degree thermostat? Is so what were the results? I’ve seen it recommended many times and one was a well know recommended C6 engine guy down east. I’ll check for debris and bugs in my new to me C6 that I got last summer. Calgary ambient temps aren’t normally that hot and I average 220-225 degrees and have hit 230-235 degrees which seems hot to me (feedback?). I read somewhere that the computer dials back timing after 212 degrees. Any experienced feedback guys/ladies appreciated and thank you!

My C5 ran pretty hot for a while early last summer, and I put a brand new rad, and hoses in around the middle of summer and filled with Dexcool and one small bottle of Redline Water Wetter, and it didn't climb over 200 degrees since....Even in stop n go traffic, and high temps(for this area).

Reactions: Messner
Good to know, I’ll stick with what the General recommends. Also in the C6 environment has anyone used a 160 degree thermostat? Is so what were the results? I’ve seen it recommended many times and one was a well know recommended C6 engine guy down east. I’ll check for debris and bugs in my new to me C6 that I got last summer. Calgary ambient temps aren’t normally that hot and I average 220-225 degrees and have hit 230-235 degrees which seems hot to me (feedback?). I read somewhere that the computer dials back timing after 212 degrees. Any experienced feedback guys/ladies appreciated and thank you!
Yeah. That's pretty warm. My C6 never got over 205 with stock thermostat, and that included some hot days in Wyoming. My C7 runs about 200 all the time.

Reactions: Messner
Yeah. That's pretty warm. My C6 never got over 205 with stock thermostat, and that included some hot days in Wyoming. My C7 runs about 200 all the time.
Mine got hot consistently in traffic stop and go if it were 28 degrees. I added water wetter and it dropped a tiny bit. Think I’ll check rad and condenser then flush add new antifreeze and thinking of the 160 Stat too? Thanks guys!

Mine got hot consistently in traffic stop and go if it were 28 degrees. I added water wetter and it dropped a tiny bit. Think I’ll check rad and condenser then flush add new antifreeze and thinking of the 160 Stat too? Thanks guys!

Ask a good mechanic on the thermostst change too. My gut tells me that it won't make a difference in anything other than how long it takes for the engine to reach operating temperature. Once the engine reaches 160 and the thermostat opens, the engine will continue to heat up to operating temperature and heat the antifreeze along with it.
You should also check your antifreeze/water mix. Antifreeze is great to protect the fluid from freezing and also helps protect from corrosion, BUT, it does not transfer heat away from the engine nearly as well as water does. If you have a 70/30 mix (antifreeze/water), your car will run hottter than a 50/50 or even a 60/40 mix. Start with a 50/50 but check it for freezing point as it relates to your climate and storage condition. Even in a closed, uninsulated garage, the ambient temperature remains 7 to 10 degrees above the outside temp. At least in my unheated shop it does. Vettecave is heated.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Ask a good mechanic on the thermostst change too. My gut tells me that it won't make a difference in anything other than how long it takes for the engine to reach operating temperature. Once the engine reaches 160 and the thermostat opens, the engine will continue to heat up to operating temperature and heat the antifreeze along with it.
You should also check your antifreeze/water mix. Antifreeze is great to protect the fluid from freezing and also helps protect from corrosion, BUT, it does not transfer heat away from the engine nearly as well as water does. If you have a 70/30 mix (antifreeze/water), your car will run hottter than a 50/50 or even a 60/40 mix. Start with a 50/50 but check it for freezing point as it relates to your climate and storage condition. Even in a closed, uninsulated garage, the ambient temperature remains 7 to 10 degrees above the outside temp. At least in my unheated shop it does. Vettecave is heated.
Good points thanks. After a bunch of research I saw a few with the same issues and adding the 160 stat. Manny at Dasilva recommended it too I saw. I’ll check for debris first then change fluid beforehand. Then will see?? :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread