Power User
Mar 27, 2019
Bonnyville
VetteCoins
Car
70th #1259
Province
AB
Just a quick question for the C8 winter drivers. Any issues with your Pilot Sport All Season 4 in below freezing temps? How cold has it been and still driving? I know traction is reduced but I am more curious regarding tire damage. Mine is coming from the detail shop next week and I had some interest (not a lot mind you) in taking it for a drive. Forecast has the day time highs around -10C.

Just a quick question for the C8 winter drivers. Any issues with your Pilot Sport All Season 4 in below freezing temps? How cold has it been and still driving? I know traction is reduced but I am more curious regarding tire damage. Mine is coming from the detail shop next week and I had some interest (not a lot mind you) in taking it for a drive. Forecast has the day time highs around -10C.
Although my experience was limited to -7 or -8C before I put my C8 to bed for the winter the AS tires were much improved over the Pilot Sports on my C7 Grand Sport. The Pilot Sports were dangerous until warmed up so I just stopped driving on them if below 5C.

No issues whatsoever. Minus -10 at least. We drive all year when the weather is clear. As in not snowing.
The PS4 all seasons are remarkably good near or below freezing. I clocked my best 0-60 of 2.8 (indicated) on a 1 degree November day in 2021. It snowed an hour later.

Road and outside air temperature do affect how a tire reacts. A full summer HP tire will start to underperform below 7C degrees or so. At hgher temperatures they will outperform any tire in the dry but may be outdone by a UHP all season in the wet depending.
What you cannot ignore is that a full summer tire such as the 4S will provide feedback qualities and handling that exceed the UHP all season even on the street. For those of us with experience on full winters you know the squiggly feeling that a softer tire gives. So while that is an exagerated example the sull summer performance tires offer a lot of other qualities even on a nice evening drive. I swap tires on my daily drivers summer to winter and will do that when I get my winters for the Vette so I can drive it well into the colder temps. At least until the snow and salt starts to fly around here. Check out Tyre Reviews channel on YT. He does an excellent job with a huge variety of tires and cars.

I can only say that when I sold my Shelby 2 years ago, after I did a full Super Snake Anniversary Wheel package and put on Continental Extreme contact 305 35 20 SPORT TIRES, to me it absolutely ruined the car!
With those sticky tires and living in the country it was absolute hell - It would take me 10 minutes to go the 5km down my tar and chip concession to get to the secondary highway. Those tires picked up absolutely everything from stones to sand to everything and blasted them up into the wheel wells. They would not hookup until they warmed up and even then once again crap flew. I learned a very valuable lesson which was if you truly need that much hook-up the trade off to be a daily driver just was not worth it to me anyways - I am doing my final order review now for a 2024 C8 with my dealer and seriously looking at going non Z51 to avoid the Tires for sure but also my driving habits are truly just a summer fun car not a track nor weekend warrior. I live in one of the greatest areas to ride a motorcycle ( I ride K1600GT BMW ) or drive a car in the Kawartha Lakes north of Toronto, but at the end of the day I certainly don't need stiffer suspension, enhanced traction control, sticky tires to run to Minden or Bobcaygeon for an ice cream cone :) my 2 cents.

Reactions: JR410
I can only say that when I sold my Shelby 2 years ago, after I did a full Super Snake Anniversary Wheel package and put on Continental Extreme contact 305 35 20 SPORT TIRES, to me it absolutely ruined the car!
With those sticky tires and living in the country it was absolute hell - It would take me 10 minutes to go the 5km down my tar and chip concession to get to the secondary highway. Those tires picked up absolutely everything from stones to sand to everything and blasted them up into the wheel wells. They would not hookup until they warmed up and even then once again crap flew. I learned a very valuable lesson which was if you truly need that much hook-up the trade off to be a daily driver just was not worth it to me anyways - I am doing my final order review now for a 2024 C8 with my dealer and seriously looking at going non Z51 to avoid the Tires for sure but also my driving habits are truly just a summer fun car not a track nor weekend warrior. I live in one of the greatest areas to ride a motorcycle ( I ride K1600GT BMW ) or drive a car in the Kawartha Lakes north of Toronto, but at the end of the day I certainly don't need stiffer suspension, enhanced traction control, sticky tires to run to Minden or Bobcaygeon for an ice cream cone :) my 2 cents.
If you are 100% certain you will never want to track it, you may have your answer. I chose a non -Z51 for many of the same reasons ( and I have full race car). But since I did opt for the NPP, the additional cost for the Z51 would have been minimal, and I now want to lower it a bit and I’ll need springs….. the Z51 may have been the easier route…. I do love my non Z51 though.

Any good driving roads or routes you can recommend in Kawartha region? Looking for something with lots of fun twisties and turns.

Thanks!

Take a look at this.. go full size/resolution..
1675391116726.jpeg

Great Map above or just go to cannonball rides / rally and look at all of the best motorcycle routes and rally routes with great stops if desired. I moved just over 10,000 riders across the country last year earning points towards the grand prize draws I gave away - New motorcycle ( Honda 2021, Yamaha 2022 ) , Generator, BBQ gear, New jackets, pants, boots, helmets, even new tires and a very cool riding school give-away. Point being if you are in the area, or anywhere within Canada for that matter I have taken the last 7 years to put together a series of cool places to ride. I typically changed routes each year, but, I will just keep adding to what I have there now to grow the largest database that I know of across Canada.

Everything with me is FREE - I don't charge anybody anything, I do it for the sport, engagement and truly fun of it all. A few years ago I set up my first corvette rally and had a lot of people show up to do that event - again FREE. I believe if people have a great resource to go to when they have time that checks the boxes they seek then they will come back and keep enjoying - I dont need a reason to get out and drive or ride but it sure makes it easier when you pick a route, know how long it should take you and can easily work that into any day that works for you. Weekend events that start later in the day don't work for me - too many others out and about. I enjoy the early 6.30-7AM get out and rips when the roads are quiet. SO many roads so little time :)

Great Map above or just go to cannonball rides / rally and look at all of the best motorcycle routes and rally routes with great stops if desired. I moved just over 10,000 riders across the country last year earning points towards the grand prize draws I gave away - New motorcycle ( Honda 2021, Yamaha 2022 ) , Generator, BBQ gear, New jackets, pants, boots, helmets, even new tires and a very cool riding school give-away. Point being if you are in the area, or anywhere within Canada for that matter I have taken the last 7 years to put together a series of cool places to ride. I typically changed routes each year, but, I will just keep adding to what I have there now to grow the largest database that I know of across Canada.

Everything with me is FREE - I don't charge anybody anything, I do it for the sport, engagement and truly fun of it all. A few years ago I set up my first corvette rally and had a lot of people show up to do that event - again FREE. I believe if people have a great resource to go to when they have time that checks the boxes they seek then they will come back and keep enjoying - I dont need a reason to get out and drive or ride but it sure makes it easier when you pick a route, know how long it should take you and can easily work that into any day that works for you. Weekend events that start later in the day don't work for me - too many others out and about. I enjoy the early 6.30-7AM get out and rips when the roads are quiet. SO many roads so little time :)
Please remove Davis Drive Uxbridge from your maps! lol

• Haha
Reactions: OL Yeller

thats awesome

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.