Glenn

Casual User
Sep 27, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1982 Corvette
Province
NL
Hi I have a 82 Corvette with crossfire fuel injection as anyone ever had the air intake ported and polished and if so was there a great improvement in horsepower or am I just wasting my money ?

Many have spent a lot of $ on piece meal “upgrades” only to be very disappointed with the amount of performance upgrade. You really need to design from carb to tailpipe matching all components to achieve your desired hp/tq goals and to ensure that it is streetable. Ie. what type of torque curve, when does it really kick in. My last engine didn’t really come alive until @ 4750 rpm, it was designed more for running quarters but a gas on the highway as well. Current engine is a ZZ383 Deluxe, fairly flat tq curve but it comes on much lower but starts giving up the ghost when my other engine was just really starting to kick in. For everyday driving the new engine is far superior, on the track no.

Oh I totally agree with you. Hard part is lots of people are not prepared to go blue print a good motor plan with a competent engine builder who looks at everything from the engine to trans to rear gear. Not to mention your cooling system, carb, and exhaust from manifold back.
It totally depends on what you are trying to achieve and how much you want to spend. Sometimes changing your intake and exhaust gives you the sound and throttle responds you want. But I do hear you in for a penny, you in a pound.

Oh I totally agree with you. Hard part is lots of people are not prepared to go blue print a good motor plan with a competent engine builder who looks at everything from the engine to trans to rear gear. Not to mention your cooling system, carb, and exhaust from manifold back.
It totally depends on what you are trying to achieve and how much you want to spend. Sometimes changing your intake and exhaust gives you the sound and throttle responds you want. But I do hear you in for a penny, you in a pound.

40 years ago I was in a speed shop in Alberta and they had a sign like this above their shop door... I have since seen it again in a couple places but nonetheless would never forget the first time and the blatant truth in these words....

1582865466676.png

Reactions: ddgermann
There's always talk about cams, intake manifolds, carbs, exhaust systems etc. but the real power lies in the cylinder heads. Having said that, at the end of the day whatever you do has to work in concert with the rest of the components. There's a domino effect and one thing leads to another in the quest for speed and power.

Reactions: kerry4
There's always talk about cams, intake manifolds, carbs, exhaust systems etc. but the real power lies in the cylinder heads. Having said that, at the end of the day whatever you do has to work in concert with the rest of the components. There's a domino effect and one thing leads to another in the quest for speed and power.
Tell me about it. Years ago the guys I rode bikes with there was always a competition to see who could modify their sport bikes to be the fastest. Since we got older we all switched to Harleys. And the games continued. Stage 1, 2 , 3 , 4, exhaust and so on. Just never endsOr your wallet dries up. LOL. One guy has spent more on performance parts than his bike cost. When his wife would ask how much a certain part that showed up at his door cost he would always say it was on sale and only cost 25 bucks. I think she actually believed him which was even funnier. We kid him all the time about his $25.00 exhaust system.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.