Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
You know that song by Gino Vanelli "Black Cars Look Better In The Shade"? Been told it really is not a song about Black Cars but there is some truth to it. When I backed the car out of the garage yesterday I was pretty pleased with my clean up efforts over the past week. However it was very humid yesterday morning and when I started to drive I noticed random patches of moisture stuck to the car. I had to stop to see what was actually happening. To my horror the car was just a mass of streaks and what looked like wax that had not been removed.

The lighting in my garage sucks to say the least so although it looked great in the shade the light of day showed something quite different. Streaks on black cars are a problem but this is really a mess and I am not sure what to do to correct it. Thus your advice.

I initially washed the with Meguiar's car wash soap to get it clean then washed it with Dawn to remove the old wax. I bought Meguiar's Scratch X 20 Compound and did the entire car then cleaned it off with micro towels. Then I went over the entire car with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. At that point I was too beat to finish wiping it off so I left it till the next morning. Maybe a problem? Cleaned it off no issues, or so I thought.

So now I am not sure how to fix it. I don't know if the wax just needs to be wiped down well again after a wash or is the problem really the compound underneath? I really don't want to have to do it all again but that is what I am thinking. Would another coat of wax (don't think it has any cleaners in it), or would this just make it worse? I did not use the Ultimate Compound but maybe I should have.

Needless to say I was unhappy about the effort versus results. Don't know if I used the wrong products or what but I have never had this happen before.

Your thoughts? Appreciated as always.

IMG_5910.jpg
IMG_5949.jpg

Last edited:
It's my guess Murray that you didn't get all the dried wax residue off. I also use Mequiars ultimate wax and although I have never left it dry all night, I have never had any problems. When I remove the wax haze, I use at least three towels as they start to get full of powder after a bit. Then I buff the entire car with a very good quality buffing cloth, shaking it out often. Then I lightly go over the whole car again with my cordless power polisher. Then out into the sun for a thorough inspection and some spot power buffing on any areas that look like I missed... Black is an unforgiving colour for sure if you miss any areas....lol... ask me. I did Brenda's MKX for her last weekend and cursed it pretty much continuously..... hahahaha....

Bill, I stored them in the basement all winter and Scratch X 20 was new. I agree with Eric that I did not get all the wax or compound off but which one? Did I seal the compound residue in with the coat of wax? I think I am going to have to start over again.

I am going to wash it today and experiment in a small spot I guess.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks guys.

Bill, I stored them in the basement all winter and Scratch X 20 was new. I agree with Eric that I did not get all the wax or compound off but which one? Did I seal the compound residue in with the coat of wax? I think I am going to have to start over again.

I am going to wash it today and experiment in a small spot I guess.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks guys.

Is your car dirty now Murray? If not, I'd be tempted to take a spray detailer (I use Lucas Slick Mist) and spray a spot that looks like residue. Wipe it down and then buff with another cloth to see if it cured that area. If so, you might get away with just a spray detailer job...

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
here's my 2 cents. Your car is nice, forget all those smearing wax jobs. It's hard work . You maybe need to use a power buffer to just really even out all that wax. Try this. Go to Canadian Tire and pick up a $15 bottle of Lucas Slick Mist. It goes over wet or dry finish. Just a little spray mist and wipe with a towel and it leaves a nice clean shine, no streaks, very easy to work with and quick. I have never waxed any of my cars, just use this spray. My $75 43 year old paint on the 58 still shines like the day we did it, I've never waxed that car. My Crossfire I'll just wipe down with a wet rag to wash it and then just SlickMist it and done. Excellent to do just spots too if get splashed or wipe bugs off the nose.

IM002619.JPG

Nice58july17-03 006.jpg

IM008965.JPG

IM000575.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Eric and Michael for the suggestions.:thumbs: As luck would have it last fall I won a detailing kit from Corvette Central of Slick Mist goodies. That detail spray is part of the kit.:Biggrin: Alright indeed.

The car is really dirty our gravel road got the car covered in dust before I even left, it has been dry. So I will wash it and give it a try, nothing to lose everything to gain. Thanks guys.

Michael that is some fleet you have going there. Love the pickup the colour is perfect.

Will let you know what happens next.

Thanks Eric and Michael for the suggestions.:thumbs: As luck would have it last fall I won a detailing kit from Corvette Central of Slick Mist goodies. That detail spray is part of the kit.:Biggrin: Alright indeed.

The car is really dirty our gravel road got the car covered in dust before I even left, it has been dry. So I will wash it and give it a try, nothing to lose everything to gain. Thanks guys.

Michael that is some fleet you have going there. Love the pickup the colour is perfect.

Will let you know what happens next.

Yes Murray let us know how the slick mist works on your black car.
I’ve been using Autoglym and now trying a Maguiars quick detailer. Both are good but it seems the Maguiars dries off quicker and leaves a streak free finish but the Autoglym is better at removing water spots but needs a couple more strokes to get streak free.

Love my black vehicles X 3.
:Banghead:

Yes Murray let us know how the slick mist works on your black car.
I’ve been using Autoglym and now trying a Maguiars quick detailer. Both are good but it seems the Maguiars dries off quicker and leaves a streak free finish but the Autoglym is better at removing water spots but needs a couple more strokes to get streak free.

Love my black vehicles X 3.
:Banghead:
I think you would like the Slick Mist Derek. I've been using it for a few years now. It's easy on, easy to buff and leaves a great shine.

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
Black 03 Z06 , thanks on the color of my 49 , kinda hard to capture as it gets more purple with less light and abit more silvery in bright sunlight, but it is Light Amethyst Metalic Pearl. When I wet sanded and polished it I used McQuire #4 and # 10 I think it was ( ??? ! ) then all I ever used is the Slick Mist.
Yeah curious how Slick the black will look after a quick Mist .

IM008501.JPG

IM008504.JPG

...sorry to hear all is not good. Sounds like you got a ton of crap on there and just smearing it around. Try a spot with good glass cleaner , wipe it out good, then slick mist it again. I do that on the bugs on the front of my car.

Dry Shine waterless wax from Canadian Tire can help remove smears and stuff.

When ever I wax my vehicles I use dawn dish soap was just prior.... removed the old wax build up.... make sure you cut polish / wax it after using dawn.

I think using dawn cuts down on swirls and smears.

Better to wax on non humid / cooler days too.

Brian

Methinks you have a residue on the car from the start of the process and possibly an interaction between the wash and the dawn. I would rewash with dawn and then claybar to be sure all contaminants are off the finish then wax.

Or hire this out as you've done it once and the second time is always harder because you know how long it's going to take!

Good Luck!

You know that song by Gino Vanelli "Black Cars Look Better In The Shade"? Been told it really is not a song about Black Cars but there is some truth to it. When I backed the car out of the garage yesterday I was pretty pleased with my clean up efforts over the past week. However it was very humid yesterday morning and when I started to drive I noticed random patches of moisture stuck to the car. I had to stop to see what was actually happening. To my horror the car was just a mass of streaks and what looked like wax that had not been removed.

The lighting in my garage sucks to say the least so although it looked great in the shade the light of day showed something quite different. Streaks on black cars are a problem but this is really a mess and I am not sure what to do to correct it. Thus your advice.

I initially washed the with Meguiar's car wash soap to get it clean then washed it with Dawn to remove the old wax. I bought Meguiar's Scratch X 20 Compound and did the entire car then cleaned it off with micro towels. Then I went over the entire car with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. At that point I was too beat to finish wiping it off so I left it till the next morning. Maybe a problem? Cleaned it off no issues, or so I thought.

So now I am not sure how to fix it. I don't know if the wax just needs to be wiped down well again after a wash or is the problem really the compound underneath? I really don't want to have to do it all again but that is what I am thinking. Would another coat of wax (don't think it has any cleaners in it), or would this just make it worse? I did not use the Ultimate Compound but maybe I should have.

Needless to say I was unhappy about the effort versus results. Don't know if I used the wrong products or what but I have never had this happen before.

Your thoughts? Appreciated as always.

View attachment 17458View attachment 17459
Where is Ziggy - calling Ziggy - he is the master of car detailing - hopefully he will reply to your question. I wash my car maybe 2x during the driving season here because it never really gets dirty. In between I use micro fiber cloths to remove the black dust that accumulates from the air. Wax it during the winter with a liquid wax that is easy to apply and remove; so, as you can I see, I am the last person to help you. I did have a new 07 Shelby GT 500 vert - black - I ended up with awful swirls - took to A1 detail shop and it looked like new when I picked it up. Maybe, you need to take it in to a good detail shop and get it done?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.