Regular
Dec 26, 2012
St. Albert, AB
VetteCoins
Car
2023 HTC
Province
AB
We all want the perfect Corvette with low kms and in pristine condition, but if we choose to drive them and the miles start adding up, when is the time to say trade up now or drive them and enjoy them for as long as possible.
I have 29000kms on our 2016 and love and value each and every mile (km). I had a great idea 2 months ago to look into trading this for a 2019 GS, but as the dealers are reduced the prices on new, the stretch between my trade is too far away.
I also can't justify trading a C7 for a C7.
Is there any merit in trading up every couple of years or??
I still have full warranty for 4 years, so will keep it and love it.
Interested to know what kind of kms your car has?
What is the feeling about your car and mileage and when do most plan on trading up?

Reactions: 2KforeverC5

This depends on your situation. If you're trading a Stingray for a Stingray, then I would say it's not worth it. Keep yours and enjoy it. Upgrading to a Grand Sport or Z06 - well, this will depend completely on whether or not you're willing to have the extra expense of taking a loss on your current vehicle and spending more for what is essentially the same, but with a bigger body and potentially more power (and the badge, of course).

I have a 2009 Base 1LT that I got in July of 2019. It had 59k km on it. Now, it has 72k km on it. I bought this car specifically to drive it, and I have been very much, as you can see.

My situation is different from yours as C6 Corvettes have basically stopped deprciating. I can continue to drive like this and will lose minimal value when it comes time to upgrade.

What is the feeling about your car and mileage and when do most plan on trading up?

I feel with trade-ins, if you want the vehicle to maintain value from having low km, you need REALY low km. We're talking under 2k/year or less. Basically a collector car/garage baby. If you ACTUALLY want to drive it, then the mileages that I feel have an effect on value are 60,000 km and 100,000 km. In my personal opinion (not professional) a Corvette that has hit 100,00 km is no longer desirable at all because it's clearly been driven a lot.

My $0.02

I purchased my 2015 in Oct this year with 5345 Kms , still has the new Car smell and is in impeccable condition. Since I recently acquired it there are no plans to trade. I intend to keep it for a very long time an enjoy it as much as possible.
Have never been a fan of trading up after a few years because even though cars are a depreciating item, I much rather the Original owner take the biggest hit. Case in point....the one I recently purchased, the original owner drove around 1K Kms a year and took a serious hit on trade in.

We all want the perfect Corvette with low kms and in pristine condition, but if we choose to drive them and the miles start adding up, when is the time to say trade up now or drive them and enjoy them for as long as possible.
I have 29000kms on our 2016 and love and value each and every mile (km). I had a great idea 2 months ago to look into trading this for a 2019 GS, but as the dealers are reduced the prices on new, the stretch between my trade is too far away.
I also can't justify trading a C7 for a C7.
I still have full warranty for 4 years, so will keep it and love it.
Hi...my 2019 C7 is only 4 months old, and I will likely keep it as long as my C3 78 and C5 98, both of which I bought used and drove daily (for 8-9 months depending on the winter) for 15 years each. Very low cost of ownership over these long stretches.

Reactions: vintageracer
It's what you want to do. Opinions will be all over the map here. Do you want to collect cars, save them for someone else so when you trade it in yu get the most for another vehicle you will only drive on "special" occasions? My nickle's worth is if you bought the car to enjoy it, enjoy it or get one you will enjoy even more but drive it.
On the Corvette caravan this year my car hit 165,000 km. Looking at it you would never know it has that many kilometres and i have enjoyed every one of those kilometres!

• Agree
Reactions: JCWP
It's what you want to do. Opinions will be all over the map here. Do you want to collect cars, save them for someone else so when you trade it in yu get the most for another vehicle you will only drive on "special" occasions? My nickle's worth is if you bought the car to enjoy it, enjoy it or get one you will enjoy even more but drive it.
On the Corvette caravan this year my car hit 165,000 km. Looking at it you would never know it has that many kilometres and i have enjoyed every one of those kilometres!
Nice! I had 225,000 kms on my 78 when I sold it and 135,000 on my 98. Only 1,800 kms on my 2019 so far, but then I only got to drive it for 3 1/2 months before garaging it last weekend for the winter season :)

Reactions: Riley P
Did we meet at the dinner Friday evening?

My $0.02
[/QUOTE]
EJ! You gotta get with the game. We can't take anything less than a nickel now-a-days seeing how they discontinued the penny. At the very least a plugged nickel although some people would say in for a nickel, in for a dime LOL.
I have been trying to get "12cents" to up his game as well.
I just crossed 39K before hibernation.
I bought it to drive it and I'll take the hit if I sell it or trade in with big smile thinking about the K's I put on the Vette. We, most of us, are only out and about for six months so any chance I get I'm a drivin.

EJ! You gotta get with the game. We can't take anything less than a nickel now-a-days seeing how they discontinued the penny. At the very least a plugged nickel although some people would say in for a nickel, in for a dime LOL.
I have been trying to get "12cents" to up his game as well.

I use plastic. You can still round to a penny when it's all digital.

• Haha
Reactions: 12cents and RockyPM
I purchased my 2015 in Oct this year with 5345 Kms , still has the new Car smell and is in impeccable condition. Since I recently acquired it there are no plans to trade. I intend to keep it for a very long time an enjoy it as much as possible.
Have never been a fan of trading up after a few years because even though cars are a depreciating item, I much rather the Original owner take the biggest hit. Case in point....the one I recently purchased, the original owner drove around 1K Kms a year and took a serious hit on trade in.
Only a 1000 km/year. Wow, that is a true garage queen. And I thought I drive mine with low mileage (about 4000 km/year).

Reactions: Kanuck
Only a 1000 km/year. Wow, that is a true garage queen. And I thought I drive mine with low mileage (about 4000 km/year).
I drive mine daily for 8-9 months, and still only get about 2,500 kms on it/year. Mind you it's my commuter car...goes to the GO train station daily which is 2 minutes from my house. But I try to get it out a bit more on weekends, including some highway driving. But generally nothing long distance.

Yeah, pennies are not legal tender any longer. She was technically in the right, even though it did say $7.33. By law, they need to display it to the penny in case you pay with plastic because then it doesn't matter. If you're paying cash, by law they need to round up or down to the nearest Nickle.

You may have been proving a point, but that's a bit of a dick move. It's not her fault, nor her manager, nor the business. If you really have an issue, write your MP.

That is a surprise to me. The car does not show anywhere near the kms you have on it.

My two C6's I owned sold for the same price as I had paid between 2 and 4 years earlier. I was shocked to see how little my car was worth, but that's the price I paid to order exactly what we wanted. No regrets only a lot of smiles and seeing how my car has been through 21 different states with the two of us enjoying every mile, I feel its worth it.

Reactions: RockyPM and EJChevy
I guess I am going to have to round off my handle from 12¢ to 10¢ :angelic:, unless I use plastic. But I digress. I bought my car to drive and drive it I will, when I am home in the summer at least. The number of kilometres on it is only a measure of how much I have enjoyed my Centennial Corvette. I have no intentions of trading this one at all.

That is a surprise to me. The car does not show anywhere near the kms you have on it.
Thanks Dennis. Maintenance is key. My car has seen snow and rain and I’ve re foamed the seats as well as sound deadened the interior. It’s not a C7 but we love it and I’m now getting the itch to upgrade the headlight units to Morimoto’s. Now let’s see what else I can dream up to change.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dennis. Maintenance is key. My car has seen snow and rain and I’ve re foamed the seats as well as sound deadened the interior. It’s not a C7’s but we love it and I’m now getting the itch to upgrade the headlight units to Morimoto’s. Now let’s see what else I can seam up to change.....
Your car presents itself great Paul... And I really like the colour too... ;)

Reactions: rockitman
Those guys with the orange cars stick together.
Ok, it is a nice colour. I don't think Corvette makes a colour I don't like. "Get Ready" I even like Ceramic Metrix. This may cause a stir!!!!
I wanted to buy one, but I was out voted by my co-pilot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.